• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bradford Street - Chapel

BilboC

master brummie
A friend of mine is researching a chapel on Bradford Street which is still there but is currently being used as a warehouse or something similar and presumably has been for some time.

Does anyone out there know of the Chapel or have any information on it. All information would be most welcome.

There used to be a Wesleyan Chapel on the south side of Bradford St between 90 and 91. That would be close to Alcester St.

pmc1947

Thanks PMC1947, I think I have that one on an old map of 1913, between Alcester St. and Lombard St.
This one is, I am told, between Rea Street and the Bull Ring, presumably on the North side. I can't find it on the 1913 map so maybe it wasn't a Chapel even then!

This Methodist Chapel was opened in 1786, with a small burial ground behind. In 1823 the chapel was extended backwards over part of the ground. Later a Sunday School was built. The ground was closed for burials in 1873. Due to falling numbers in the congregation, the chapel was closed in 1936 and sold in 1938 to Harrison's Ltd, brassfounders, who used it as a coke store. The chapel building was bombed during World War 2.

This is from a Book by Joseph McKenna entitled In The Midst of Life.

Thanks all,
There is as you say the Wesleyan Chapel as mentioned and the Holy Trinity Chapel at the far end of Bradford St/Camp Hill.
There is also one marked on a map, posted by BillC, of a Chapel marked as "Circus Chapel" at the Bull Ring end of Bradford St. Any ideas anyone?

BilboC

I suspect the chapel you mention actually stands back from the High St in Digbeth. It was built in 1913 as St Edmonds chapel for a father Morgan but owing to a change of faith it was not used for religious purposes but became a boys club.It was built tall to stand out amongst the railway viaducts of the area. Its design is based on the chapel of S. Giorgio at Maggiori in Rome. It later became a glassware and china warehouse and I think it is now a car repair business.Cant find a photo but i will look out a slide i think i have and attach later

this photo is copied from a slide and is not brilliant but it might help to see if we have the right building

Attachments

• Digbeth Nr Stone Yard.jpg
    Digbeth Nr Stone Yard.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 2
have taken this photo today

Attachments

• digbeth.JPG
    digbeth.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 1
If this is the chapel the original member had in mind i suggest we now call it the Digbeth chapel as it is not in Bradford st.

I think Rupert has located the chapel correctly, on the corner of Sherlock St East. The 1912 edition of the OS map drops the name, but the buildings look much the same. This tallies with the details in the Bham.DE list' but not with other contributions. I'm sure we'll soon have it sorted out, like we always do.
Peter

my photo was taken from Alcester St showing the chapel on the opposite side of High St Bordesley.The rear of the chapel faces Lower Trinity St but I couldnt see any of it as the railway viaduct is at its back Obviously all the activities carried on in it are approached from the side i pictured

Guys and Gals, no sorry, the Chapel concerned is definately on Bradford Street, between Rea Street and the Bull Ring and is next to the 'Anchor' I think.

pmc' Thanks for the input. Not sure, but I don't think it's this one as I believe the building is still standing!

Too many cooks spoil the broth!.............. Not on this site they don't!! Thanks everyone, for the input.

Back