• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bracers Or Braces?

db84124

Brummophile
I was very interested to read in Astonite's opening post in his thread “No longer available? Or are they?” the word "bracers". Because it's used in a paragraph about things which he thinks are no longer available, I imagine he's referring to the two strips of elasticised material, leather or similar material which are used to support trousers. I used the same word for about 55 years. Then, about six years ago, I discovered by chance, that the word is "braces". I’ve spent the last 20 minutes checking seven dictionaries and not one tells me that “bracers” are used to hold up trousers. What do you call them; bracers or braces?

Braces - but I believe that Americans call them 'suspenders' ....which begs the question: what do they call the 'feminine' variety so dear to British male hearts??? :tongue2:

Braces..which reminds me. I can now go out and buy a pair. For some reason my mrs hated them but I am now of that shape which means I no longer have hips to hang the waistband on.

According to my translator Suspenders in German is Strumpfhalter or Strumpband. That really goes with the KamiPanzers.

Sorry about that ...a bit of an aberration.

According to my translator Suspenders in German is Strumpfhalter or Strumpband. That really goes with the KamiPanzers.

Sorry about that ...a bit of an aberration.

Slightly off-topic : I am reminded of a military friend who, whilst serving in Germany, advised his non-German speaking wife to ask for a 'shtopemfloppen' when out shopping for a new bra! Apparently they complied without hesitation, and my friend's wife remained blithely unaware for some time! :D

You can get Tommy Walsh Braces (pronounced Bacers) if you want. Try Screwfix.

They are braces!, its brum speak to call them bracers, "Ay yow got yer bracers on cos yer kecks R drooping"!!. Len.

I concur 'bracers' is what me Grandad called em. Another one, 'get out the horse road' and 'have ya seen me westcot(waistcoat)?. God bless Tommy Bradshaw.

Well, a very short but fascinating thread!! Thank you one and all.
Interesting the fact that Bernie (Post #9) says that "braces" is pronounced "bacers", which I suppose rhymes with "racers".
And Gazzo, are you sure your granddad didn't say "wes'cot" (without the central "t"), which is according to many the correct pronunciation?
...... so, having admitted that I said - apparently incorrectly - "bracers" until I was 57, and "rosiedendron" instead of "rhododendron" until I was 14 and "thilfy" instead of "filthy" until I was 8, is anyone else willing to admit mispronunciations that he or she now knowingly made in the past? David;)

The reign n Spane falls manely on the ground.
You won,t catch me with my trousers down .Dek:cool::cool::D

Surely braces is what you have on your teeth,and bracers are for trousers,no clearly not and same spelling for teeth braces lol

Mens Trouser Braces (Beige/Blue) click on to view braces lol

£14.99 new

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad to have inadvertently started this discussion through my other post, 'bracers' is Brummy, I hold my hands up and plead guilty! My father-in-law, god bless his cotton socks, was a belt AND braces man, he liked to make sure.

Just seen the price of that pair of braces ( is that the correct form ? ). Wheew !. Now where is that ball of string left over from the bean poles ?

A couple of years ago Ray wanted some braces or bracers as we have always called them and couldn't believe how expensive they were £25 upwards in some shops, he eventually got some from a charity shop almost new for next to nothing.

I will continue to refer to them as "Bracers" not that my finely honed body needs them:) I mean you dont call a "Spanner" a "span" do you?

Thanks, Bill. There are now five of us who admit to using the "Brummie"(?) word bracers. Your posting means that the number of members confessing to using the "incorrect" word is equal to the number who claim to say braces. Although I now accept that bracers is the wrong word - just check in any dictionary - it's highly unlikely I'll be able to change my ways so bracers it'll be! Thanks to everyone who sent in their pronunciation, David

I always called them braces. I also remember my sisters having some red hotpants in the 60's/70's that had a bib and braces attatched.
I always thought bracers were things people wore to protect their arms or legs - made out of leather? or metal maybe????
Polly :)

Just a thought... How many times did you actually write down braces or bracers when a kid ?. Could this be something to do with local accents and unwittingly using phonetics to mentally spell when a youngster. I can remember a number of words and place names that sounded completely to different to their correct spelling or pronunciation. ( Like " Burningam" ) This is thanks to the accent of family and friends you are exposed to when a child.

Pollypops , I vividly remember seeing my first pair of hot pants in the 60s when a callow youth. A young lady I knew stopped me one Saturday in Shrewsbury Bus Station. She wore a full length maroon coat with white stitching. Her name was Marina.
She said ," Richard tell me what you think of these. Its the first time I have worn them ". Marina opened her coat and she was wearing pink hot pants with a bib and brace front. I was gobsmacked. I had never seen so much female thigh in my life. I blushed. Marina said " By the look on your face they will do fine" , gave me a quick peck on the lips and sashayed off towards the towncentre. A very forward young lady, way out of my league, but I was her shoulder to cry on when she was inevitably dumped. Even as a teenager I was a father figure to a number of young ladies. For Good Listener read Tongue Tied. I do hope Marina found what she was looking for.
Haaa ....Happy Days....Arkrite in a pensive mood,

hi david and jonjo
i was made to wear them until i was 12 years old i was glad to see the back of them
when i went into the waricks ist battlion we had them issued
by golly i hated them they used to make my eyes water ; [ do you know what i mean ,eh ]
my mrs bought some for me afew years back, she sid here you are my luv ,
i bought you these for our country and westeren festivals ,
and i said not likely my darling ,i had enough of them years ago
best wishes Astonian ;;

As an additional comment, Im not convinced that the term "Bracers" in entirely incorrect. They do after all act as a brace, therefore they surely act as a "bracer":D.........we are often told that the English language constantly evolves and I think we have a classic example of the evolution of a new word or term.....Brace.....Braces..........To Brace(verb) Bracer......the act of bracing or supporting ones trousers or other impliment(s) In fact i think we should use it at all conceivable times and if corrected argue the point ie ; A brace is something one places in ones gob the adjust the growing angle of ones molars:)

Anyway I shall continue to use the word Bracers and if I think about it I will ask a few co restorers at the Black Country Museum transport group tomorrow whilst we forge on with the bodywork of the ex West Brom double decker:)

same here with my dad..he has always called them bracers and i wouldnt argue with him even now....:D

JohnO;31486[ATTACH=CONFIG said:
50967[/ATTACH]9]Braces - but I believe that Americans call them 'suspenders' ....which begs the question: what do they call the 'feminine' variety so dear to British male hearts??? :tongue2:
Isn't the things Americans call suspenders to hold their socks upView attachment 50967
002004_main_m.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Elizabeth,
This is taken from the American English (as opposed to British English) -orientated online dictionary, Dictionary.com :
sus·pend·er

   /səˈspɛn
thinsp.png
dər
/ Show Spelled[suh-spen-der] Show IPA
–noun 1. Usually, suspenders. Also called, especially British, braces. adjustable straps or bands worn over the shoulders with the ends buttoned or clipped to the waistband of a pair of trousers or a skirt to support it.

2. British. garter.

..... but if you then click on garter, it gives :

gar·ter

   /ˈgɑr
thinsp.png
tər
/ Show Spelled[gahr-ter] Show IPA
–noun 1. Also called, British, sock suspender, suspender. an article of clothing for holding up a stocking or sock, usually an elastic band around the leg or an elastic strap hanging from a girdle or other undergarment.

2. a similar band worn to hold up a shirt sleeve.

.... so you are quite right! Perhaps sock suspender is better because it avoids confusion. David

Last edited:
Braces were good enough for Dan Dare, braces will do for me.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back