• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bracebridge Street

Doug
I don't know if this will help but go to page one of this thread and look at the messages as there are a couple of maps of Aston with Bracebridge Street shown. I lived at 160 which is opposite the Brass Foundry and if I remember correctly no 71 is shaded in red. You map be able to identify 212 from that otherwise the gentleman that posted the maps may be able to help.
Cheers
Dave Bunford
Hi Dave,

Did you know the Baker family that lived at 156?

Brian B

Hi There, I've come across some photographs from Coronation Day 1953 on what I believe is Bracebridge Street (please correct me if I'm wrong) I know The Keough's lived at number 195 and that they were still there at this time as I have addressed letters.
These photographs are fantastic SmartSavage. I have just come across them. I am new to doing all this, so am slowly finding my way. I worked at Benton and Stone in the general office for six wonderful years , 1964 - 1970. Such a generous company. Happy memories.

Well Sugar, I think you could well be right! My Uncle and Aunt sold the cafe in about 67/68 and moved to Wylde Green. I don't know anything about the new owners though. I don't think the cafe survived for much longer as everything was flattened in the redevelopment. It was a funny building with most of the rooms designed to fit the corner plot.
Hi Lady Penelope. Did you work at Benton and Stone in the mid sixties? Sue

These photographs are fantastic SmartSavage. I have just come across them. I am new to doing all this, so am slowly finding my way. I worked at Benton and Stone in the general office for six wonderful years , 1964 - 1970. Such a generous company. Happy memories.
Hello Susan. My dad used to work at Benton & Stones in the 1960's. They always looked after the workers, especially at Christmas, when everyone was invited to the Christmas party. I can remember him taking me & 2 of my brothers to one of the parties. Had our photo taken before we went in. Still have that photo. We were living in Bracebridge street at the time (number20).

Hello Susan. My dad used to work at Benton & Stones in the 1960's. They always looked after the workers, especially at Christmas, when everyone was invited to the Christmas party. I can remember him taking me & 2 of my brothers to one of the parties. Had our photo taken before we went in. Still have that photo. We were living in Bracebridge street at the time (number20).
Hello Micheal. Thanks for the reply. What was his name. Although I worked in the offices, being a junior I did all the running about. Not complaining, I loved it. There were different shops. Capstan shop, Auto shop, Brass shop to name a few. I had to walk through them all daily and got to know all the guys and gals! They were great. The offices were in Aston Brook Street, so you can imagine I covered a lot of miles. I don’t think I ever got to know anyone personally in Bracebridge Street or Aston Brook Street but anyone I passed would have had a cheery hello. Kind regards, Sue

Hello Micheal. Thanks for the reply. What was his name. Although I worked in the offices, being a junior I did all the running about. Not complaining, I loved it. There were different shops. Capstan shop, Auto shop, Brass shop to name a few. I had to walk through them all daily and got to know all the guys and gals! They were great. The offices were in Aston Brook Street, so you can imagine I covered a lot of miles. I don’t think I ever got to know anyone personally in Bracebridge Street or Aston Brook Street but anyone I passed would have had a cheery hello. Kind regards, Sue
Hello Susan. I know my dad worked in the Brass shop, making the Brass buttons. His name was Arthur Wicks, though I do remember him sometimes doing the night shifts. Even though Aston has changed (for the worst, some would say), at least we still have the fond memories. They were hard times, but every one was happy. If I could go back in time for just one day, those are the days I would choose. Have added 2 photo's for you. One is of me with my 2 brothers & 2 unknown lads just before going into the Christmas party. Kindest regards, Michael

Attachments

• Benton & stones,Aston.jpg
    Benton & stones,Aston.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 28
  • mearthur  paul at enots-Colorized.jpg
    mearthur paul at enots-Colorized.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Hello Susan. I know my dad worked in the Brass shop, making the Brass buttons. His name was Arthur Wicks, though I do remember him sometimes doing the night shifts. Even though Aston has changed (for the worst, some would say), at least we still have the fond memories. They were hard times, but every one was happy. If I could go back in time for just one day, those are the days I would choose. Have added 2 photo's for you. One is of me with my 2 brothers & 2 unknown lads just before going into the Christmas party. Kindest regards, Michael
After my junior stint at Benton & Stone I went on to a section . We did the invoicing and wages. I don’t recall your dads name but I bet I knew him. Think Mr Ryder would have been his foreman.
They were hard times, couldn’t agree more but they were very happy times. When I talk about the good old days (often) my daughter rolls her eyes.... Mom, how could you call them good old days, you didn’t even have hot water.. True but we did have a tin bath and Drene shampoo.
Thanks for great photos. Will have to search for Aston Brook Street photos soon
Kind regards, Sue

After my junior stint at Benton & Stone I went on to a section . We did the invoicing and wages. I don’t recall your dads name but I bet I knew him. Think Mr Ryder would have been his foreman.
They were hard times, couldn’t agree more but they were very happy times. When I talk about the good old days (often) my daughter rolls her eyes.... Mom, how could you call them good old days, you didn’t even have hot water.. True but we did have a tin bath and Drene shampoo.
Kind regards, Sue
Yes, Susan. Mr Ryder was his forman. I seem to remember my dad mentioning him, & me being only young asked my dad if he rides a bike. I got told off for this though. The younger generation just do not understand what it was really like in those days. But at least we were happy in our own sweet way. Kindest regards, Michael.

Yes, Susan. Mr Ryder was his forman. I seem to remember my dad mentioning him, & me being only young asked my dad if he rides a bike. I got told off for this though. The younger generation just do not understand what it was really like in those days. But at least we were happy in our own sweet way. Kindest regards, Michael.

Oh gosh.... I am so excited. I started as a junior. In 1964. Sandra Hunt taught me the ropes.. The office girls used your uncles cafe, although we did have a canteen. Loved the sausage cobs. It has been a lifetime ago but never forgotten Benton & Stone. Do you remember us? Hope you are well Kind regards,

Sorry Susan, I started my post in reply to you and then got interrupted so it looks a bit terse. Wasn't meant to be.

I started at B & S in 1963 in the Warehouse but got transferred to the other building (yours) as they'd got someone else to do my section while I was in hospital (understandable as I lost quite a lot of time). I can't remember how long I was there and remember faces more than names. I do remember Mrs Speer who was secretary to Mr Creed? I'm still in touch with her so easy to remember!! One thing that sticks in my mind from working in the Warehouse was I had to learn to answer the telephone. I was absolutely terrified. There was a line of booths by our section and if one rang and you were free you had to answer it and then find the girl who was on that particular section. We didn't have a telephone at home but I still don't know why I should be afraid to answer one. Thinking about it I must have left in 1964.

Kind regards, Sue
Hello Susan. I bet you are like me (good at faces but no good at names). Here is a photo of my dad, though it was taken way after Enots, he had not changed much. I do remember him coming home one night quite unexpectedly wearing his white overalls, & scaring me & my mum.

Attachments

• Family photo's 9 (5).jpg
    Family photo's 9 (5).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 24
Hello Susan. I bet you are like me (good at faces but no good at names). Here is a photo of my dad, though it was taken way after Enots, he had not changed much. I do remember him coming home one night quite unexpectedly wearing his white overalls, & scaring me & my mum.
That’s great, thank you but I don’t remember the face. My husband to be was an apprentice in the Brass shop (6 months stint) he doesn’t remember your dads face. There was another charge hand in the brass shop ... Bill somebody.... he remembers him okay. Kind regards

Sorry Susan, I started my post in reply to you and then got interrupted so it looks a bit terse. Wasn't meant to be.

I started at B & S in 1963 in the Warehouse but got transferred to the other building (yours) as they'd got someone else to do my section while I was in hospital (understandable as I lost quite a lot of time). I can't remember how long I was there and remember faces more than names. I do remember Mrs Speer who was secretary to Mr Creed? I'm still in touch with her so easy to remember!! One thing that sticks in my mind from working in the Warehouse was I had to learn to answer the telephone. I was absolutely terrified. There was a line of booths by our section and if one rang and you were free you had to answer it and then find the girl who was on that particular section. We didn't have a telephone at home but I still don't know why I should be afraid to answer one. Thinking about it I must have left in 1964.
Yes, I remember the Warehouse. all those NCR’s clanging away. . There was a group of us from Bloomsbury Girls School, we all started at Benton & Stone together. Olive Fogg, one of our group started in the Warehouse. Yes I remember Pat, Mr Creeds Secretary. Carol, John Dickinsons Secretary and Janet, she may have been Arthur Smiths Secretary........But the kindest of them all was Elsa Burke. She was H S Smiths Secretary, so generous. What about Geoffrey Birch, the Works Manager. He was a nice chap. Anyway, Nice chatting, very grateful for this forum to share happy memories. Stay safe . Kind regards, Sue

Yes, I remember the Warehouse. all those NCR’s clanging away. . There was a group of us from Bloomsbury Girls School, we all started at Benton & Stone together. Olive Fogg, one of our group started in the Warehouse. Yes I remember Pat, Mr Creeds Secretary. Carol, John Dickinsons Secretary and Janet, she may have been Arthur Smiths Secretary........But the kindest of them all was Elsa Burke. She was H S Smiths Secretary, so generous. What about Geoffrey Birch, the Works Manager. He was a nice chap. Anyway, Nice chatting, very grateful for this forum to share happy memories. Stay safe . Kind regards, Sue
Hello Anne. I see you mention Geoffrey Birch. Did he have a daughter named Anne. I was at Elkington Street school with her, & seem to vaguely remember her telling me about her dad, though it was a long, long time ago.

Hello Anne. I see you mention Geoffrey Birch. Did he have a daughter named Anne. I was at Elkington Street school with her, & seem to vaguely remember her telling me about her dad, though it was a long, long time ago.
Hi Michael, No, I don't remember anything like that about him. I suppose it was because he was Management,.. perhaps. Life was different then .

Hi Brummies!

Bit of a long shot but does anyone remember my family (Johnson) we lived at 14 Allesley St and then 128 Bracebridge St
between 1962 - 1968 My mother (Jean) with 4 young children and an absent father?

Back