• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bracebridge Street

No 2 back 212 bracebridge st is marked in red on the large scale map below, close to the junction with new town row

west_end_bracebridge_st_showing_no_2_back_212_bracebridge_st.jpg

Thank you for that Mike, most appreciated & it is also where the majority of us remember it being, plus it confirms the McCormick family were only a few doors further up too.

I can't believe that i missed all this lovely info on Bracebridge. Such interesting photos!!
My Great grandfather and family lived at no. 75.
I have them there from 1920 to 1939 - no idea if they were still there after that though.....

John & Lavinia Skelding are listed on the electoral rolls as being there 1935- 1962. In 1930 they are at 2 back 75 Bracebridge st

John & Lavinia Skelding are listed on the electoral rolls as being there 1935- 1962. In 1930 they are at 2 back 75 Bracebridge st

Good to know - thanks Mike but Definitely not my family then so i presume they moved on - mine were Parr's with a Cattell in the later yr (great- aunt Cissie)

In that case it was no 3 back 75, not no 75. There were no Parrs or Catells there in 1945

hi kaz if you go back to post 11 and look at photo 3...you will see a line of houses..the house to the right of the passage way is no 75 so your rellies would have had to walk up there to get to the back houses..my aunt and uncle lived at no 71 also showing in the pic..i spent many happy hours there with my cousin..

lyn---

I have just found this site and it is great to see pictures of my old haunt Bracebridge Street having lived at no 160 from 1948 - 1969 with my sister Lesley and Mom & Dad (Joan & Samuel Herbert (known as Bert). I went to Elkington Street School, then Summer Lane and finally Holte Grammer (formally Aston Commercial).

I am still in touch with a number of old friends from the Aston area, but would like to contact Robert Parker who lived in Elkington Street between Bracebridge Street and Aston Brook Street.

Geoff (GNC) are you related to Peter Coley?

Mikejee,
where do you get these maps from as I lived at 160 Bracebridge Street and would like to obtain old maps and photos of my old home plus the immediate locality?
Thanks
David Bunford

are you sure , im sure i vaguely remember the name david bumford. peter was in the sea cadets, before he joined the navy. geof

Geoff

Peter was my best friend, my first wife and I spent out honeymoon with him and his wife in Cornwall where he was stationed. Is he still about, if so how can you give me some contact details. You also had a sister who we called Bonny, this is a photo of Bonny, my sister Lesley, myself, and Peter at the back of your house in Bracebridge Street. It was next to the entry where we played cricket and other games.

Best wishes
Dave Bunford
01-000250 Lesley Bonny Peter & Dave.jpg

David.
The map /s on the first page of the thread were from the Alan Godfrey map Birmingham (North) 1913 (https://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/warks1401.htm) , available from the site. the later map, with house numbers is from an OS map from the 1950s I purchased on e-bay earlier this year. I think it is similar to that map dated 1951-1956 on the old maps website (https://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html), but that version does not have house numbers.

Mikejee
Many thanks for the information, I will have a look at the two sites you mention and also eBay.
Cheers
Dave Bunford

I my name is Bill woodcock from 212 Bracebridge street my perents hariet and bill and brothers and sisters mickle colin crissy june gwen lived there I remember Doug Obrien and family McCormicks best friends and their cousins Higgs also best friends at the bottom of entry I also remember another family named fletchers and one more their name was mills my friend in that family was david I have good memerys of all these familys the park mentioned was blue street park the steem engine was donated by Leopold lazareth on newtown row backing onto ashford steet and would love to here from any of these ol friends and nabours any that I haven't mentioned

hi folks just little note to say that one of our members brian skelding and his wife normajean are over from canada now and they will be in the bull pub loveday st/price st this saturday....brian lived for 22 years at back of no 79 bracebridge st but his parents were there much longer...brian and normajean have met quite a few of us as they happened to be over here a couple of years back and came to our summer meet up...so if anyone fancies dropping by the bull on saturday to say hello to them you are most welcome...i shall be there but please dont let that put you off lol..

lyn

Last edited:
Lynn I must have got mixed up with my rellies in Bracebridge Street, I have just checked on electoral roll and they lived 49. Old boyfriend lived at 215.

Back