• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bracebridge Street

I worked out of Henrietta St Ambulance Stn, and quite often drove around this area. Having a Norton motorcycle and being interested in local history I found the photos fascinating .... but terribly sad. They show just what was lost. Communities that had grown together over decades were torn apart and demolished in the name of progress, but, sadly, this was really corporate greed, for what came after was terrible and is being torn down today in an acknowledgement of the truth of what many protested about at the time.

have to agree with you pete..i have now lost count of how many times i have said that of course some of the housing conditions were vey poor and a lot of properties were just unfit for human habitation and beyond repair but there were also many thousands of houses that could well have been saved from demolision and also so many buildings of historical interest..one thing we have certainly lost is that sense of community spirit...back in the day we knew almost everyone who lived in our street or road but now we are pushed to know who our neigbours are...gone are the days when folk would gather in the local pubs for a game of darts or dominos and chatter about putting the world to rights and help each other out if they have a problem..this is whats missing now and i find it very sad... and i think this is why our forum meet ups are so popular..a time when us good old brummies can gather together under one roof for the afternoon and have a good old natter and a few beers..a good way also of forming friendships as has happened with many of us..look forward to meeting you at the christmas meet pete...:encouragement:

lyn

Last edited:
pic 3 on post 11 jumped out at me yesterday and ive now had time to study it...the third house from the right of the gully is my aunts house at number 71...no doubt about it as thanks to mikes map on post 6 and showing no 71 shaded in red just down from the norton factory you can cleary see the gully to the left of no 71..made my day has this..ive emailed the pic to my cousin jenny...i had many a sleep over there...jenny had the front bedroom and i remember one day uncle sid was up the ladder cleaning the front bedroom window when the ladder slipped and his hand went through the window.. severed the artery in his wrist....narrow longish kitchen that led from the back room..narrow back yard..back and front living rooms and in the front room uncle had a piano and to this day i can remember him teaching me to play a few tunes on it.....happy days..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn
who were your family at No 71? Did you know the Hosgood family? I am sure that their house was the one just before that big entry to the right of the factory.

Hi Lyn
who were your family at No 71? Did you know the Hosgood family? I am sure that their house was the one just before that big entry to the right of the factory.

sorry i did now know anyone in the street apart from my aunt and uncle and cousin jennifer...they were elsie and sid broughton...somewhere in the back of my mind i seem to remember a little sweet shop just a few doors up from 71

lyn

Hi - without going off subject I hope, We used to pick up an elderly Jamaican gentleman from a Tower block in Nechells. He'd come to the UK in the 50's and was housed in a house in this area (Aston Cross, etc.,). He was rehoused in the Tower block some 10 years later. He said many of his neighbours also moved in there. At first it was great. Better conditions, etc., but by the 1990s he was isolated. "You hear the lift going up & down, sometime you hear voices, but I don't know who they are. Not like the old days when you saw people walk past your window." Point proved?

Lynn after looking at post No 6 and counting down from your number 71, it looks correct that 79 where my Uncle and Aunt lived was on the corner as I can remember this because you actually went through a gate into their back yard. I can remember many years ago that my dad went and done some decorating for them, he actually fell off the chair and broke his leg, and the hospital said he couldnt have had a worse break if he had fell from an aeroplane. At the same time, one of my brothers was with him as he had broken his foot playing football, so when we went back to the house on the night time, you can imagine my mother's face when she saw the both of them in plaster. How did we manage, I cant remember, but we obviously did.

hi carolina well you are lucky as well then as we can also clearly see no 79 on the pic i posted..like 71 its corrogated up at the window...

crikey i bet you mom had a fit when she saw the state of your dad and brother lol...

hello, just came across this site and thread, was looking for any old pics a bracebridge street, lived there from 1952 too 1965. and trying to find pics of the nortron factory aswell.

hi gnc and welcome to the forum...what number did you live at....glad you found the pics ive posted which includes one of the norton factory...

lyn

hi geof well you have joined the forum just in time as i only aquired those photos of bracebridge st recently..my aunt lived at 71 during the years you were there...

enjoy the forum

lyn

Image719.jpg
Saw this picture in one of the old brum papers. A family from Bracebrige st.

what a great photo topsy ...be brill if any of the mccormack family spotted it....nice to bump into you up the hawthorn road earlier....happy new year to you and the family...

lyn x

Yes Lyn that would be nice and with the large families that there were how they expand. You never know who is out there..... Have a great New Year.

Perhaps someone can kindly look on electoral roll for the address.

just had a look carolina and i cant see a rose mccormack in bracebridge st for the years available on ancestry..
hopefuly someone else may do better...

lyn

Searching the MHD site shows no Rose McCormack in Bracebridge St , and doesn't come up with anyone of that name at all prior to 1930. there is a rose hannah McCormack at 29 anglesey st in 1930 only. thers are in rocky Lane, Brookvale Park Rd, Osler st, Radnor St, Marsh hill, Leyton Road and Garretts Green road

Searching the MHD site shows no Rose McCormack in Bracebridge St , and doesn't come up with anyone of that name at all prior to 1930. there is a rose hannah McCormack at 29 anglesey st in 1930 only. thers are in rocky Lane, Brookvale Park Rd, Osler st, Radnor St, Marsh hill, Leyton Road and Garretts Green road

yes mike i found those..i guess its always possable that she missed the e roll count unless of course that pic was taken after 1955 which again is poss..

lyn

There is a Mary McCormack living at 1 back 196 Bracebridge Street in 1947 with Roseannah Kane and Thelma Bell.

1950/51 Thomas and Thelma Bell, Roseannah Kane and Patrick J McCormack.

1955 Patrick J McCormack and Roseannah Kane.

1960 Roseannah and Patrick McCormack are at 1 back 196 Bracebridge Street on MHD

There is a Mary McCormack living at 1 back 196 Bracebridge Street in 1947 with Roseannah Kane and Thelma Bell.

1950/51 Thomas and Thelma Bell, Roseannah Kane and Patrick J McCormack.

1955 Patrick J McCormack and Roseannah Kan

1960 Roseannah and Patrick McCormack are at 1 back 196 Bracebridge Street on MHD

oh well done bewdley...so its back of 196 then...looking at the pic topsy posted it looks like a back house...

thanks for the info...

lyn

On the 1871 census I have relatives living front house Victoria House, Bracebridge Street, anyone have ideas where about in Bracebridge Street this would have been? Thanks Carol

img625.jpgimg624.jpgdo hope dave bath sees these 2 as i think they are new ones..

the white hart pub corner of bracebridge st and aston road dated..1957 and also the white harts darts team dated 1952 when they won the aston league...be great to put names to the faces...

Hi Lyn,
Sorry, can't help you with the darts team. The guy on the left could be Tommy Hartley the local illegal bookie from across Aston Road?
My dad was in the domino team (and the drinking team after hours when Wilson-Jones owned the pub!!!).

Oct 24 at 6:04 PM

Hi all, my name is Doug O' Brien. Our entire family lived at 2 back of 212 Bracebridge St from around 1963 to 1966. Our wonderful mother Anne raised six of us single handedly. We have vague memories of the McCormick family as specifically we remember Veronica as she sometimes baby sat for our mom & she was in & out of our house all day long. We also remember her brother Peter too.

Because it was so long ago we are not entirely sure where our house was on Bracebridge St so we would be extremely grateful if someone could provide a map with an exact pinpoint location.

We remember The Woodcock family, the Broome family who we used to tease over the wall whilst they were all taking it in turns to have a bath & the Beatlestones & a lovely lady called Audrey who sadly passed away. We also remember Bowaters Grocery shop, The House that Jack built & the rag & bone man who used to hand out balloons to the kids. We also used to attend William Cowper St Infant School too.

Somewhere nearby was a large concrete park or recreation ground which we seem to remember contained a large old train engine & a bandstand. Again we would be grateful if anybody else can shed any light on this & oncemore pinpoint their location. Again if anybody could provide any photographs that would be truly wonderful.

Back