• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bracebridge Street

A

angie

Hello all   Would anyone remember the Rose family that lived in Bracebridge St in the 40s/50s.
My mom is Margaret,there were two sisters Vera and Rose then a brother called Jimmy. My aunt Rose was badly burnt when she fell into the house fire,also Jimmy went to school with Pat Roach.  Mom went to Clements St school.

Angie

Mom says he went to Elkington St and then Hope St school.
Harborne i awas talking about Pat Roach the actor. :)

My mom informs me that her brother James for personal reasons was bought up as James Hewitt,so on that note would anyone remember him 40s/50 living in Bracebridge St.

Angie :)

hi guys
does anybody recal bracebridge street aston ,
and does any body recall the pawnbrokers along there on the corner
by the traffic lights in the 60-or the 70.s
when they was burgled and got cleaned out with every think
i beleived the bounders got through the roof and came down through
the ceilings to the shop floor
can any=body recall the name of the people whom owned the shop
and did they ever catch the culprits whom done it
would the peoples property would have ben covered by insurance
for the pawnbroker
have a nice day every -body and be careful out there
best wishes astonian ;;;

Astonian, I knew Bracebridge Street pretty well, but can't remember any traffic lights, certainly not Newtown Row end, not sure about the Aston Road end, perhaps someone else might. I don't recall the story about the pawnbrokers - sorry.

Bracebridge Street I walked along it everyday to my Grans I walked and drove the length of it in my time, but like Sylvia I never remember Traffic Lights.

But Dave Bath is the man who knows Bracebridge Street he lived many years there after I left and should be able to help when he spots your post.

Hi everybody connected with this thread.
The pawn shop was owned by Miss Gertude Fall. The shop was on the corner of the first opening on the right hand side coming from Miller Street towards Aston Road. On the other corner of the opening was Ray Sketchley's greengrocers.
I am not sure about the robbery but I will consult "The Oracle", my brother Arthur, and report back.
With regard to traffic lights, there was a set of lights at the Milller Street junction laterly but originally there were Halt signs for Miller Street traffic. There was always traffic lights at the Aston Road junction as can be seen in the attached picture (John Houghton's version). If anybody has any photos of Bracebridge Street, or knows of any, I would be very grateful to see them.

hi dave..i just received the pic of back of 41 bracebridge st...its not much im afraid but bracebridge st none the less...i was also sent another one but im sure its already somewhere on the forum..i just cant locate it...its of a man in a white work coat holding the hand of a small boy and they are crossing the road...i will scan both and post them on this thread for you....

lyn

astonian ,hi i remember bracebridge st dont remember the pawn shop but i do remember the motor bike shop on the corner of aston rd by the traffic lights i used to stand outside looking at all the new bikes with envy thinking il,l have one of them when im older but never did never ever rode a motor bike what a waste .

Hi Lyn,
The picture of man and boy is taken at the junction of Miller Street and Bracbridge Street looking directly up Miller Street in the direction of the Tram (later Bus ) Depot and Newtown Row. The premises on the corner I'm sure is an Outdoor but I will confirm that with my brother Arthur. The bollard in the picture is on the corner of Shefford Road and Miller Street.
Thanks very much Lyn. I will pursue the other picture, Back of No 41, which would have been a bit further down and on the other side of the road to where I lived Back of 26. We're getting warmer!

morning dave..ok ive got me bearings on the boy and man pic...like i said the one ive posted of back of 41 isnt much but its a start...looks like it was taken in the winter as i can see piles of swept snow...i am popping to the central library again this week..i will go through the pic index for you again as they are being added to all the time....

dont give up..they are out there somewhere....

lyn

thanks for the confirmation dave...can you see what looks like a bit of the union jack flag flying on the top right of the pic...

lyn

Yes Lyn, well spotted.
When the Queen visited Brum she came down Bracebridge St from Aston Road to visit The Norton I think? This could date the picture to that time or it could have been commemorating her coronation in 1953. Maybe the experts can comment?

Back