• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bracebridge Street

thats great dave...we are getting closer now...the name of the factory was on the pic and i forgot to write it down..sometimes when i am searching for pics of streets or roads with no luck i often look for pubs..shops..or factories that were theire so if you can recall any that were near your house and we can find them they may also have the houses in shot..i call it my process of ilimination...lol...

lyn

Lyn if you had searched the Forum you would have found a reference to Benson & Stone being where it was which I posted under Factory Fire Service dated 17th July 2006 and here it is, could have saved a couple or more postings

They had a Fire service at Benton & Stone Bracebridge St Ashford Street a little Fire Engine I remember

hi ya alf...i probably would have searched the forum but i didnt know benson and stone existed until i got the pic of it yesterday...never mind we have a pic of it now and its taken long enough to find it....thanks for the info alf...

lyn

My Gran lived opposite Benson & Stone in 5 Ashford Street and I use to be over there after School sitting watching the Packing case maker and drinking tea with them and eating cakes, most evenings, I was about 7/8 at the time ( Gran looked after us in the War while Mom worked at the Co-op Greengrocer in High Street Aston}
She lived there over 50 years

ALF, It appeared in the Sunday Mercury Jan 6 2008; The reason i kept it was i used to see one of the Brooke Bros out and about in Kingstanding.and i was going to give it to him.Sods Law i haven,t seen him since.

Hi Astoness hope your keeping good. When i lived in John St as a kid me and my pals used to go in the corner shop
for our big ice lollies used to cost us about threepence.i think they were made of coca colaor something like that
they used to be great.
lots of good memories.
richard

hi richard and yes i am fine thank you for asking..hope you are ok too...when i used to visit my auntie in bracebridge st there was a shop along there where we could get a glass of tizer pop..it was not that shop in the pic though as if memory serves me right it was not a corner shop...happy days..

lyn

Hi Lyn,
Well, well! You found a good one. The shop in the picture is on the corner of an "opening" (as we used to call them). An opening was a gap between houses leading to a terraced row of houses, as this was. The lady who used to own it when I was there was Mrs Ford (Florrie Ford as she was known). The Sketchley's (not to be confused with the greengrocers further down the street) used to live in the boarded-up house next door They had a son, Raymond, who was around the same age as me but was a lot thinner and smaller. The van parked off the road is parked alongside an electric sub-station. Just past the substation is a bombed site (peck). The 3 story houses at the back are typical of the houses at that end of Bracebridge Street although the houses in the picture are actually in Allesley Street. Our entry to 2/26 was about 4 houses up from the one next to the shop. The photo is 1967 and our family left there in 1965. I have attached a photo taken from the Aston Road end of the street and just to the left of the traffic signal in the distance is another advertising hoarding on the other side of the opening.

Lyn, I can see from the bottom of the picture that it is out of a book or a newspaper. Would you happen to have either as I would like to see what is written below the picture. Thanks very much for posting this and please keep looking as there is a Vine public house on the other side of the road!! Maybe it will also "strike a chord" with someone else on the forum?

PS. I brightened your original photo.
PPS. I may be confused about the Sketchley's?
PPPS. All this on a day that the Wolves beat the Baggies!!!

hi ya dave..not funny about the baggies not funny at all lol...thanks everso for all your memories..i went through this book twice and didnt not see this pic it was only on the third go that i spotted it...the caption just says bracebridge st july 1967..no other info im afraid..thanks for brighening it up as i thought it was a tad on the dark side..oh no not the vine pub again..do we not have a pic of the one in bracebridge st then...i really must contact my cousin to see if she can remember what number she lived at..

lyn.

Last edited:
004-1.jpg

Hi topseyturvey i remember seeing Goerge formby when he visited the moterbike factory in Bracebridge St.
the street was just round the the corner of John St where i used to live.
regards.

Back