• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bracebridge Street

michaelwicks54

Aston bred & proud.
Hi Dave. The middle photo is of Benton & Stones (enots). I remember it as my dad used to work there on the night shift. Me & my 2 brothers & my mom went with my dad to their christmas party one year. (can not remember the year). We had our photo's taken, but sadly, we lost them.I think I was about 10. That makes it roughly 55 years ago.
Managed to get a copy of one photo of me & my 2 brothers as we went to the Enots christmas party. Who the 2 lads on the left of us, I can not remember.I am on the far right.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sandhu

Brummie babby
Hi everyone, just had a meeting with Norton club regarding plaque. They have a AGM meeting in 2 weeks and will put forward the propsal of having the plaque back at Bracebridge. They can't see there being problem in doing so

michaelwicks54

Aston bred & proud.
Hi everyone, just had a meeting with Norton club regarding plaque. They have a AGM meeting in 2 weeks and will put forward the propsal of having the plaque back at Bracebridge. They can't see there being problem in doing so
Hello Sandhu. That is fantastic news. I will certainly be keeping everything crossed. When the weather improves, I will certainly be paying a lovely visit to the area. I have not been down that way for a lot of years & I think it is about time I did.

Sandhu

Brummie babby
Hello Sandhu. That is fantastic news. I will certainly be keeping everything crossed. When the weather improves, I will certainly be paying a lovely visit to the area. I have not been down that way for a lot of years & I think it is about time I did.

Hi Michael your more than welcome to come anytime, I'm based at number 87

michaelwicks54

Aston bred & proud.
Hi Michael your more than welcome to come anytime, I'm based at number 87
hopefully, the weather improves over the next few weeks, so that I can come down. It will be so lovely to meet up with the one person who has saved a part of the aston history.

Smartsavage

Brummie babby
Hi There. I'm just looking through a LOT of photographs and documents which we left to my hubby. His grand-parents lived at 195 Bracebridge Street along with his mother who bought a shop on Newtown Row from Mr W Richards on 8/8/1930 for £70d. Anyway, his name was Arthur Keough. His father's was Herbert Keough and was a policeman and his father was Edward Keough, born in Ireland but ended up as Principal Warder at Winson Green Prison! I just thought I'd post in case anyone remembered the name. They still lived there in 1954 but I'm not entirely sure when they left.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hopefully, the weather improves over the next few weeks, so that I can come down. It will be so lovely to meet up with the one person who has saved a part of the aston history.
totally agree with you michael...sandu as soon as i am able i should also like to pop down to bracebridge st to say a personal thank you for hopefully getting the norton plaque reinstated in its rightful place..please keep us informed

lyn

Smartsavage

Brummie babby
Hi There, I've come across some photographs from Coronation Day 1953 on what I believe is Bracebridge Street (please correct me if I'm wrong) I know The Keough's lived at number 195 and that they were still there at this time as I have addressed letters.

Attachments

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
every so often along come another batch of old photos that makes my heart pound...what wonderful photos and yes i would say they are of bracebridge st..i think we have one or two members who could confirm this but i am pretty certain they are bracebridge st houses and a couple of factories.....thank you so much smartsavage for sharing them with us it just goes to show that what i always say is true...they are out there somewhere waiting to be unearthed...:)

lyn

Last edited:

michaelwicks54

Aston bred & proud.
Hi everyone my old account got locked for which i don't know why. Anyway good news, we finally have the Norton plaque back up!!! Thanks to Norton Bikes for helping us and due to release a publication in the newspaper
That looks absolutely lovely Sandhu. A massive thank you to you & norton bikes in keeping the history alive. Glad you have got your account up & running again too. I will definitely be coming down. Will let you know more nearer the date, but hopefully, it will be in the next few weeks.

stones54

proper brummie kid
Hi Lyn,
The picture of man and boy is taken at the junction of Miller Street and Bracbridge Street looking directly up Miller Street in the direction of the Tram (later Bus ) Depot and Newtown Row. The premises on the corner I'm sure is an Outdoor but I will confirm that with my brother Arthur. The bollard in the picture is on the corner of Shefford Road and Miller Street.
Thanks very much Lyn. I will pursue the other picture, Back of No 41, which would have been a bit further down and on the other side of the road to where I lived Back of 26. We're getting warmer!
I remember the bus garage, I can also remember a park opposite but it was all white gravel & if you fell on it, it didn't half graze your knees

Sugar

master brummie
Mikejee,
where do you get these maps from as I lived at 160 Bracebridge Street and would like to obtain old maps and photos of my old home plus the immediate locality?
Thanks
David Bunford
Hi Dave I am new to this site I am sure my mum was best friends with your mum.my mum was called ruby Roger's and she lived at 174 bracebridge st and your mum used to babysit my 2 elder brothers around 1957she also gave us your old toys I remember one was a game I think called climb Everest which had 4 plastic men attached to each other and we had to climb a cardboard mountain. I may be wrong but we new her as Mrs bamford and she always wore a full apron and we lost touch when we lost her address when we moved in 1971.i remember you all moved far away like Devon I think. I may be wrong but we did know a Mrs bunford.