• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Boxfoldia

Radiorails

master brummie
e70c78f60af7351a460cc10534b98943.jpg

Women firefighters at Boxfoldiam Bournbrook, 1942

According to wikipaedia
Charles Henry Foyle (18 March 1878 – 9 December 1948) was an English businessman who invented the folding carton. He founded Boxfoldia in Birmingham in 1920, a company that was finally sold in 2003. ... Charles Henry Foyle was born in Hoxton, London. His brother William and Gilbert Foyle founded Foyles bookshop in London.

According to Companies House
1631713568871.png

According to wikipaedia
Charles Henry Foyle (18 March 1878 – 9 December 1948) was an English businessman who invented the folding carton. He founded Boxfoldia in Birmingham in 1920, a company that was finally sold in 2003. ... Charles Henry Foyle was born in Hoxton, London. His brother William and Gilbert Foyle founded Foyles bookshop in London.

According to Companies House
View attachment 161596
Janice, it looks like they shut down and taken by a MBO and now absorbed into Alexir Packaging Ltd.

Yes, they moved as Boxfoldia to Redditch but then 'folded' (can a cardboard box making company do that - he he) and became part of Alexir as noted above. When in Selly Oak my Grandmother worked there, my Mother worked there all her working life and I had my first job there. I remember Dennis Foyle and Beryl Foyle. Attached is a 1937 picture of the football team

Attachments

• Sep 1937 Boxfoldia Married Mens team beat Single Men 4-1.jpeg
    Sep 1937 Boxfoldia Married Mens team beat Single Men 4-1.jpeg
    931.3 KB · Views: 7
Heres a couple more pictures, one with Beryl Foyle and one with Dennis Foyle

Attachments

• Scan 3 - Denis Foyle, Aida Banner and Mom at Boxfoldia.jpeg
    Scan 3 - Denis Foyle, Aida Banner and Mom at Boxfoldia.jpeg
    628.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Scan 13 - Unknown and Beryl Foyle on right at Boxfoldia.jpeg
    Scan 13 - Unknown and Beryl Foyle on right at Boxfoldia.jpeg
    458.8 KB · Views: 18
And last one .. for now

(Note although the file name says 'Mom Boxfoldia ...' Beryl Foyle is not my Mom :))

Attachments

• Mom Boxfoldia 19.jpeg
    Mom Boxfoldia 19.jpeg
    315 KB · Views: 10
It has also to be remembered that Boxfoldia took over part of the Ariel Motor cycle factory, which had been established as Componentsville.

Interesting thread. After interview in 1973, I was offered a commercial apprenticeship. I did not take up this opportunity as the managers who interviewed me could give me no indication of what I would be paid. it would depend on me negotiating with the company secretary, after I had accepted. By contrast Post Office Telecommunications had a clear pay scale, so I worked there instead. Life could have been very different on the road not taken. I got the impression that this was an old fashioned company where employees might be paid as the employer decided and there was no agreed rate for the job.

Interesting thread. After interview in 1973, I was offered a commercial apprenticeship. I did not take up this opportunity as the managers who interviewed me could give me no indication of what I would be paid. it would depend on me negotiating with the company secretary, after I had accepted. By contrast Post Office Telecommunications had a clear pay scale, so I worked there instead. Life could have been very different on the road not taken. I got the impression that this was an old fashioned company where employees might be paid as the employer decided and there was no agreed rate for the job.
Well, there is a lot going with the steady job with clearly laid out terms and conditions. I have rode the commercial rollercoaster several times. It can be fun and financially rewarding but it can also quickly punish you. Its ok for people who like the monkey business. I did not mind, but it is a close call.

Well, there is a lot going with the steady job with clearly laid out terms and conditions. I have rode the commercial rollercoaster several times. It can be fun and financially rewarding but it can also quickly punish you. Its ok for people who like the monkey business. I did not mind, but it is a close call.
I was 17 and this would have been my first full time job. I had no experience of 'negotiating' with anyone and no father to advise me. Of course there is monkey business and 'negotiation' in the public sector too, universities turned themselves into businesses too. We can expect some bumpy developments there soon.

I was 17 and this would have been my first full time job. I had no experience of 'negotiating' with anyone and no father to advise me. Of course there is monkey business and 'negotiation' in the public sector too, universities turned themselves into businesses too. We can expect some bumpy developments there soon.
Yes. I hope some of the entrepreneurs who went into universities with little interest in education, but much in self promotion and profit, soon take a tumble - hopefully without too much damage to the students

Yes. I hope some of the entrepreneurs who went into universities with little interest in education, but much in self promotion and profit, soon take a tumble - hopefully without too much damage to the students
I won't cause thread drift, but there are plenty of academics who climbed the slippery pole until they have no contact with students may take a tumble too.

Stockier, I think you made the right decision!

Back