• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bowler Lamps Little King Street

Phil B

Made in Brum
Does anyone have an old map showing where Little King Street was?

I believe it was perhaps in the Hockley area, as Great King Street still exists here.

Thanks

Just a little bit before where the main Lucas Factory was - left hand side going from Gt Hampton Street.

Someone will have a map mine is 'filed' somewhere sorry.

here you are phil..a map showing lit king st...

lyn
Replaced by map showing Little King St c1955. Not same map as originally posted by Lyn.

map c 1955 for little king st         overlay.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The only part of Little King St remaining is a granite memorial to the very first Lucas factory, which was in Little King St, long before the massive Gt King site was developed.
The last 2 house (Ours & the Smiths) were demolished in 1966 They stood like a pic of Hiroshima as all the others were demolished on both sides of the street, and all 4 streets back & in front, which made up the blocks - Gt King St, Bridge St, Guest St, New John St. The nearest visible building were Lucas's, People Chapel (old) in Gt King St, the Whitehouse Pub (sole survivor) and Farm St School.
It is difficult to trace on the ground now, since the road layout was removed, with the widening of New John St & Gt King St and the creation of new housing pattern with the tower blocks, etc

Brian

Last edited:
Below superimposed on Google Earth is where Little King St was

little_king_st_imposed_on_google_earth.jpg

Thanks to all. I 'm surprised I didn't know where Little King Street was because I worked for Lucas at GREAT King Street from 1977 to 1993 then transferred to Lucas at Holford Drive, Witton.

Once again thanks.

hi jackie...i didnt realise there was one in little king st...learn something every day...

hope you are well

lyn

Jackie when I worked at GKS (1964 to 1968) it was the printing works that supplied much of the Lucas literature. It was about a 100 yards or so in on the left hand side opposite Davis the bookmakers.
The frontage was roughly the width of 3 shop fronts.

Can't recall the name of the manager other than I was at his 35th Birthday celebrations at the White House. Drink flowed freely with the Birthday Boy bringing in his own bottles of spirits to keep the cost down. Once the Publican spotted what was happening bottles were also bought from the Pub. I managed to stay sober by keeping a pint glass under the seat into which I poured the measures of various spirits into. Not sure what it had started out as though. I don't know to this day how I not only drove home but checked on a less fortunate colleague who lived by Vale Onslow's place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bernard
Little King Street was the first factory that Joseph Lucas had it was called the Tom Bowler works because it made the Tom Bowler Lamp

There is a stone obelisk on the site (approx.) of the factory - now an area of green space - no remnant of Little King St exists. It must have been on the left as you come from Gt King St toward Guest St, near the Gt King St end, if the siting of the obelisk is accurate.

There is a stone obelisk on the site (approx.) of the factory - now an area of green space - no remnant of Little King St exists. It must have been on the left as you come from Gt King St toward Guest St, near the Gt King St end, if the siting of the obelisk is accurate.

hi bri looking at me trusty map the stone is nowhere near to where the little king st factory was...ive passed it many times and always thought it a very poor tribute to such a massive and important part of brum history...if you blink you miss it and have to get up real close to read what is written on it...will take a pic of it next time im down the old end..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi
Does anyone have a photograph of Little King Street, particularly a view of the Lucas factory (Tom Bowling Lamp Works), but a general view would be great to see. The street and much of Great King Street was demolished in the late 1960s. The area seems like another world now!

hi calveras and welcome to the forum...if you go to the little king street thread i have posted quite a few photos of the street before demolision

lyn
Lyn. I am looking for your Little King Street photographs/thread but seem to be going around in circles. Do you have a link that you could send ............. sorry
PETER

Lyn
Thank you, I had not gone back far enough. The photographs are a delight. I am writing a book about the Victorian days of the Tom Bowling Lamp Works, as seen in image 010. Harry Lucas's door having been bricked-up one has to assume post WW11, but not at all sure. The cast-iron letter box, just above the 'H' hydrant sign (out of focus) has survived, but not much else I suspect.
Thank you for posting, appreciated.

How much ?wider
Mike
Would it be possible to widen into Great King Street, I just wanted to see the 'shopping' where the Lucas' started their Lamp business at 209 Great King Street, before moving to their Little King Street factory in 1876. THANK YOU, your help is appreciated.

Hope this does the job. Peter. Just realised I've read another book of yours, Early Cycle lighting, which I htought was very good. Hope the new one is as good. Will definitely buy it when it comes out.

MAP C1950 SHOWING AREA AROUND LITTLE KING ST.jpg

Back