• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bower Elizabeth

Gus Wah

master brummie
My late father had extended visits to Birmingham at least three times in 1944 and 1945 when he served with the RCAF. He was a private man, and if he noted the names of friends he'd made, I'm sure they were significant. The notebook from his war memorabilia contained only a handful of addresses, and that list included two Birmingham women, Elizabeth Bower and Joy England. There was no suggestion that these were romantic acquaintances -- but anything is possible.

There is little chance that either of them is alive today, but out of some crazy speculation, I've considered how amazing it would be if at least one of these girls were to have kept a diary that mentions my father. I will post their antiquated addresses here as they appear in my father's handwriting, each on a separate alphabetical page of this section. And with my DEEPEST gratitude to anyone who might respond!

1637340604331.png

Attachments

• bham2.jpg
    bham2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
In 1939 the Kirby family lived at no 66. However in 1945 it was Nellie Jones, Hilda Bower, and Joyce Mayfield. In 1947 it was Millie Daws and Roland & hilda Bower. There are no electoral rolls for the war period.

Thanks for that expertise! Well then, she might very well have been the daughter of (Roland and) Hilda. Hmmm.

Not sure about that. On the 1939 list Hilda is listed as 89 years old. If she was young, then Roland might have been expected to be away in the forces in 1945, and then back in 1947. But unless he was 50 years younger than his wife, I think it more likely to be her son, or perhaps grandson

Mike the 89 is birth year 1889 isn't it? Elizabeth was born in 1927 - meaning Hilda would have been 38 when Elizabeth was born.

Last edited:
Again, a plausible situation. If Elizabeth was born in '27, then she would have been 17 in 1944.

You people are amazing. I've tried many times to find something -- anything -- like this and failed miserably. I guess now my next hurdle is to find someone in Elizabeth's family.

There is a will for Elizabeth might name children.
Link to the probate site on Fuller thread.
Peter (her husband) died in 2018 and there is a will for him as well.

Hi, Janice! Thanks to you I was able to reach a niece of Elizabeth Bower. Understandably she knows little of the family since Elizabeth and her spouse had no children (that survived). I note, however, that her will included an Alan Bower who was shown then at 7 Healthy Rise Woodgate Valley in Birmingham. I have no illusions, of course, considering the will is 18 years old. But with your B'Ham expertise you were able to direct me so smoothly to Elizabeth. Might you have similar access to data of any kind for this gentleman? (I couldn't find him in any of my foreign-based searches.)

Can't see if this has been mentioned.

Joyce Mayfield is Hilda's daughter from her second marriage.

Margaret Howell is Hilda's daughter from her first marriage.

Might be Alma Bower of Heathy Rise. Alma was/is the wife of Roland Bower (mentioned previously), Elizabeth's brother.
I think Alma and Roland had 3 children - Paul, Gail and Tracey. It looks as if Tracey was still living at home with Alma in 2019 but I can't access the address. Roland seems to have died in 2003.

So although Alan might well be no longer, there are indeed Bowers at that address who must be directly related to Elizabeth of bygone years. That's encouraging news. I will try to reach them now, and please understand my sincere gratitude to both of you.

Last edited:
Back