• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bowen, Mills, Rothero & Milton and also Milward

D

debbar

Ethel Rose Mary Bowen - My Mom

Because I am not sure what info to ask for, I have written a short summary in hopes of some help in which direction I should go now.
My Mothers(Ethel's) father was Charles Mellor (sometimes found as Miller) Bowen and her mother was Louisa Mary Rothero(e) nee Milton

Charles was born May 8th 1887 in Willenhall , Wolverhampton, Staffordshire.
In abt 1900 he was an apprentice at Verity's Limited at age 13 while living at 55 Grosvenor Rd Aston Warwickshire
His dad's name is George and he is Welsh descent. His mother's name was Sarah Ann Mills but was apparently married to a Haynes before she married George.

Charles got married in 1916 in Aston but resided in Birmingham with his
wife Louisa Mary Rothero(e) who was born Jan 16, 1888 in Birmingham and is
somehow related to John Milton the Poet born in 1608. They had a girl child
named Ethel and a son Philip(stillborn). They lived at 9 Oozells Street. Ladywood Birmingham, Warwick

Louisa's mother was Rose Hannah Milton born on November 22, 1863 in
Stourbridge, Halesowen, Worcester.
Rose married William Henry Rothero(e). They used to sing together on the stage. Where? I don't know but would like to.

Rose's father was William Milton (born in London) and her mother was Mary Milton formerly Millward (born?). I believe they lived at 2 Oozells street in 1881
Rose's older brother appears to be Edwin Arthur Milton born abt 1860-61. (
She possibly has 2 older brothers or step-brothers Alfred 5 yrs and
William 3 yrs (according to 1861 census)

Charles and Louisa came to Canada in August 1921 and brought Ethel (my
Mother ) with them.

At this time I think I would like to keep tracing both William and Mary.
Can anyone tell me where to go for help and how to get there?

Thanks in advance for any time given to this
debbar

Debbie you will need to find a marriage for William and Mary. I had poke around and couldn't find one. I also looked on the 1851 census for Birmingham to see if I could find a likely Milton family, but it doesn't seem likely. do you have a possible date of birth for William or Mary, or an occupation.

bowen and so on

Hi Di, I would love to get a hold of william and mary's marriage cert but I can't seem to find Mary or know if i am finding the right william.

As a matter of fact I do have an occupation for William. He has been recorded as a 'writing desk maker, cabinet maker and also a clock case maker". I have a 1881 census readout that dates williams age as 62 which makes his birth year 1819 +/- and Mary's age as 48 which would have her born in 1833 +/- . Mary doesn't have an occupation listed but is listed as being born in Birmingham but so were son Edwin and daughter Rose However, I did get a hold of rose's birth cert and it says she was born in stourbridge, Worcestershire. In the 1961 census (the year Edwin was born there is william milton, sons alfred and william but no mention of the mother or edwin - possibly she was off birthing edwin somewhere - . The Mary i am looking for was born a Milward and have reason to believe she had a brother Aaron as rose and edwin are listed at his address as neice and nephew in 1971 census. I have a few more notes but at present are just chicken scratch till i can assemble them together. I thank you for trying, this is such exciting exciting stuff :)

bowen and so on

Hi Di, I would love to get a hold of william and mary's marriage cert but I can't seem to find Mary or know if i am finding the right william.

As a matter of fact I do have an occupation for William. He has been recorded as a 'writing desk maker, cabinet maker and also a clock case maker". I have a 1881 census readout that dates williams age as 62 which makes his birth year 1819 +/- and Mary's age as 48 which would have her born in 1833 +/- . Mary doesn't have an occupation listed but is listed as being born in Birmingham but so were son Edwin and daughter Rose However, I did get a hold of rose's birth cert and it says she was born in stourbridge, Worcestershire. In the 1961 census (the year Edwin was born there is william milton, sons alfred and william but no mention of the mother or edwin - possibly she was off birthing edwin somewhere - . The Mary i am looking for was born a Milward and have reason to believe she had a brother Aaron as rose and edwin are listed at his address as neice and nephew in 1971 census. I have a few more notes but at present are just chicken scratch till i can assemble them together. I thank you for trying, this is such exciting exciting stuff :)
hi, I have been read your family history, and what caught my was the name Rothero, my Great Grandmother Mary Ann Gibson was born Mary Ann Rothero in 12th May 1867 Latimer Street Birmingham and died 11th March 1933 Brookfields Birmingham - Her Parent where Thomas H Rothero born around 1832 in Leominster (died in 1900 age 67 or 68) and he married Mary Grubb (born1834 Leominster died 1899 Birmingham ) Mary had a brother called William Henry Rothero born in 1860 in Leominster and died 1943 he was married to Rose Hannah Milton - William died 30 12 1943 aged 83 in Fort Erie Welland Ontario Canada, their other siblings where Thomas Henry born 1863 Birmingham Sarah Elizabeth born 1865 Birmingham Clara Fanny born 1869 or 70 Birmingham Ada Alice born 1875 Birmingham. I will attach a file for you to read regarding the Rothero Family - My Grandfather Thomas William Gibson was Mary Ann's Eldest Son and I am Thomas William's Grandaughter Elaine Hemming. - These are all the photos i have of The Rothero's

Attachments

• Family tree for Rothero.pdf
    164.6 KB · Views: 0
  • William Henry Rothero and Rose Hannah Rothero nee Milton.jpg
    William Henry Rothero and Rose Hannah Rothero nee Milton.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 0
  • This is my Great Grandmother Mary Ann Gibson nee Rothero.jpg
    This is my Great Grandmother Mary Ann Gibson nee Rothero.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Great Aunt Ada Alice Rothero one of Mary Ann's Sisters.jpg
    Great Aunt Ada Alice Rothero one of Mary Ann's Sisters.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0