• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bournville Village open air swimming pool

Rowheath was described as a lido, and not so close to the houses. I never visited them, but this must be what were , in the 1960s, described as the Men;s Baths, the Women's Baths being the far more imposing building on Bournville Lane. They are shown in red on the c 1937 mapm below

map c1937 showing men's baths.jpg

Spent many happy hours at this pool mid sixties with my bestest mate ever ;Geoffrey. I recall making skimmers from five ice lolly sticks and skimming them across the pool. I seem to remember a huge diving board from which I never had the nerve to dive,jumping from it was scary enough.

Happy Days.:cool:
NoddKD

Rowheath was described as a lido, and not so close to the houses. I never visited them, but this must be what were , in the 1960s, described as the Men;s Baths, the Women's Baths being the far more imposing building on Bournville Lane. They are shown in red on the c 1937 mapm below

View attachment 163074
The baths marked here are what used to known as the "Mens baths". It was where I learned to swim in about 1956 under the guidance of Bill Smith. It was a small but deep pool where I later went on to the sub-aqua club, training most Wednesday evenings. Cadbury's also had the "Girls Pool" which was on Bournville Lane and the "Lido" which was at Rowheath.

Back