• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bournville Boys’ Technical School

nimrod1947

master brummie
This is a photo of my class (Form) at school. Classes were called "forms" and the teachers were "masters" all a bit strange. Some of the masters used the old gowns as well. The identities of most of the boys I can just about remember if any wants to know. stretching my memory a bit but I'm sure I will cope. Ian Lavender (Dads Army) was at the same school but I think he was in the year above me. I am the one with the cross above my head, (Danny Willis) Master was Mr Sherlock. School Photo me.jpg

I don't think there is anything strange about those terms. Afraid that what I think is strange are some of the modern terms . A series about a manchester school (Harrop fold) just aired kept referring to "Team Harrop". Education should be about learning and development, not a sport where the main aim is the promotion of the headmaster and teachers

Last edited:
This is a photo of my class (Form) at school. Classes were called "forms" and the teachers were "masters" all a bit strange. Some of the masters used the old gowns as well. The identities of most of the boys I can just about remember if any wants to know. stretching my memory a bit but I'm sure I will cope. Ian Lavender (Dads Army) was at the same school but I think he was in the year above me. I am the one with the cross above my head, (Danny Willis) Master was Mr Sherlock. View attachment 150345
Danny, Great photo. I must have known you at BBTS - I am Morris Driels. Went there in 1958 in Form 1k with Mr Fiddes (Fido) as teacher left 6th form in 1966. I have some of the panoramic photos of the whole school (remember them) for 1963. I went back in 2018 - much had changed but some things remain. Rememeber how roll call was taken first thing in the mornings? Although it was 60 years ago, I still remember...Allender, Bourne, Cartland, Cowley, Cull, Curral, Deakins, Driels, Essex, Fish, Gibson, Goon, Holliday, Howell, Hyde, Henigan, Joynes....

Danny, Great photo. I must have known you at BBTS - I am Morris Driels. Went there in 1958 in Form 1k with Mr Fiddes (Fido) as teacher left 6th form in 1966. I have some of the panoramic photos of the whole school (remember them) for 1963. I went back in 2018 - much had changed but some things remain. Rememeber how roll call was taken first thing in the mornings? Although it was 60 years ago, I still remember...Allender, Bourne, Cartland, Cowley, Cull, Curral, Deakins, Driels, Essex, Fish, Gibson, Goon, Holliday, Howell, Hyde, Henigan, Joynes....
Hi Morris, sad to say none of the pupil names mean anything. The faces would probably stir memories, recalling some of my classmates is difficult. Mr Fiddes or Fido as many pupils called him was very memorable. He was our form master in my third year, strange man I thought. I remember when we had a divinity lesson (remember those) before he was our form master, he would stroll down the long corridor from the staff room about 10 minutes into our lesson time.
He became Headmaster and died quite recently, not sure where I saw the article about him. Mr Sherlock was our form master for the first two years, you didn't upset him if you could help it, like the proverbial pit bull.
Lovely to hear from a former pupil of BBTS and if you have any photos of the school please post them so many people would love to see them.
You have started me thinking of the names of other teachers at the school, that's going to test the grey matter.

Hi Morris, sad to say none of the pupil names mean anything. The faces would probably stir memories, recalling some of my classmates is difficult. Mr Fiddes or Fido as many pupils called him was very memorable. He was our form master in my third year, strange man I thought. I remember when we had a divinity lesson (remember those) before he was our form master, he would stroll down the long corridor from the staff room about 10 minutes into our lesson time.
He became Headmaster and died quite recently, not sure where I saw the article about him. Mr Sherlock was our form master for the first two years, you didn't upset him if you could help it, like the proverbial pit bull.
Lovely to hear from a former pupil of BBTS and if you have any photos of the school please post them so many people would love to see them.
You have started me thinking of the names of other teachers at the school, that's going to test the grey matter.

.......Lloyd, Martin, McDonald, Moore, Myatt, Nichols, Percy, Price, Ridding, Rudge, Sewell, Sutcliff, Thompson, Tobias, Vincent, Warrilow. It is Deakin, by the way. Very likely a few missed, perhaps three

.......Lloyd, Martin, McDonald, Moore, Myatt, Nichols, Percy, Price, Ridding, Rudge, Sewell, Sutcliff, Thompson, Tobias, Vincent, Warrilow. It is Deakin, by the way. Very likely a few missed, perhaps three
Thanks John, I knew it was you since you rattled these off when you visited me in California a few years ago. How are you doing? Where are you living now - Nottingham? I have one of those panoramic school photos labeled BBTS 1963. I will try to scan it in and post it with my recollection of the faces that go with the names. I also went back in 2019 and had a tour around the school, during summer I'm afraid when there were no students there. Much the same but with some changes. I have attached the pics I took there. As best I can remember, they show the gym, classroom, main entrance, wall where A level results were posted, science lab, engineering buildings (2), art room and cafeteria. Sad that the 6th form college was closed and an elementary school added. Glad they named the old engineering building after me though...

Attachments

• 20190725_110450.jpg
    20190725_110450.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190725_110036.jpg
    20190725_110036.jpg
    415 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190725_110030.jpg
    20190725_110030.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20190725_103613.jpg
    20190725_103613.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20190725_102858.jpg
    20190725_102858.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20190725_102854.jpg
    20190725_102854.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190725_101758.jpg
    20190725_101758.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20190725_100743.jpg
    20190725_100743.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190725_110808.jpg
    20190725_110808.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 18
Thanks John, I knew it was you since you rattled these off when you visited me in California a few years ago. How are you doing? Where are you living now - Nottingham? I have one of those panoramic school photos labeled BBTS 1963. I will try to scan it in and post it with my recollection of the faces that go with the names. I also went back in 2019 and had a tour around the school, during summer I'm afraid when there were no students there. Much the same but with some changes. I have attached the pics I took there. As best I can remember, they show the gym, classroom, main entrance, wall where A level results were posted, science lab, engineering buildings (2), art room and cafeteria. Sad that the 6th form college was closed and an elementary school added. Glad they named the old engineering building after me though...

Thanks for the photos, Morris. When it says "Morris" on the old engineering block, it must make you feel proud! What goes on inside it? I suppose a lot if not all is computer based.
Interesting how much has changed, but in some ways has stayed the same.. Looking at the gym photos, it looks as though our form had just left after a lesson from Mr. Barnett (Terry).
There is a facebook page titled "Bournville Grammar Technical School, Birmingham", which has 254 members, and another called "The Old Griffinians Association" which has 111. There are a lot of photos on these, with rather more on the first one.
There was a meeting at Rowheath Pavillion recently when it was decided to create an Association, which has the backing of the new head. She is a go-ahead head, and wants to bring in the non-rugby playing people, and the Girls' School to make one organisation....a Ladies' Day at Cheltenham Races was suggested!

I stopped restoring furniture a couple of years ago, and am now trying to learn how to engrave on metals. This I do by hand, but there is a definite "mystery" to it, which I haven't properly cracked yet!

I am in touch with Keith Martin. He and his wife Frie (a Belgian girl) live in the south of France. Thanks once again for the photos - your parents would have been very pleased.

All the best, John

We went in 1959. So the old engineering block wasn't exactly named after you then.....what a mistake to make! Can we communicate via email, do you know?

Can we communicate via email, do you know?
You can PM (called a conversation on here) on the forum in order to exchange email addresses confidentially.
However mdriels will need to change his preferences to allow this to happen. You already have the right setting.
Preferences are found by clicking on your own avatar at the top of the page.
To send a PM click on the name next to someone's avatar and "start conversation".

I was one of the original new 2nd year intake when Bournville Boys Grammar Technical School opened in 1955 by the Cadbury's family . Somewhere I think I still have some old photographs of the 2nd year cohort and buildings/rooms in 1955 which I will dig out. It will be interesting to compare with the current photographs posted on this forum.

I stayed on into the 6th Form until 1959-1960 so have many memories of the new school & some of the staff including Mr Jennings (Headmaster), Mr Nicholls (Physics) , Barry Cook (Head of Art) and Mr Fiddes (Divinity). I was in Belmont house and played Rugby and Badminton. I carved the school badge in oak including the griffin on the new new school lectern

Back