• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Botanical Gardens

Some plaques

Ernest Henry Wilson

HM the Queen Mother (1988)

Tropical House refurb opened by the then Lord Mayor Councillor Bernard Zissman in 1991

G8 Summit in 1998

Tree planted by the Queen Mother in 1988

Near one of the ponds from 1895

The Cannon Hill park thread reminded me about the Botanical Gardens in Edgbaston. I suppose it was because both were in that part of the city. As a youngster I remember going to the Botanical Gardens there a couple of times, it was interesting because it was unusual I am sure. However, it did not have the bustle and excitement of the city centre. ;)

Some years ago when I was a member of the BWS we held Christmas Art auctions at the Botanical Gardens in aid of the Birmingham Mail Christmas Tree fund, 25% to the Fund, 25% to the Botanical Gardens and the remaining 50% to the artist the auctioneer was the late Ernie Biddle of Biddle and Webb who gave his services free, a real nice man. One of my paintings went for £375 (a lot of money in the 90's) the most I have ever received for a painting, it was of the Church at Berkswell and bought by a couple who were married there. Happy days. Eric

Another event on now with animated extinct creatures, this time from the Ice Age. It opened yesterday. I kept getting emails, first for 20% off (didn't book it then), then they emailed me 40% off early bird for this weekend, so I went Saturday morning.

Just a small highlight, see the full gallery on my Flickr.

Mammoth

Sabre Toothed Cat

Woolly Rhinoceros

Mastodon

American Cheetah and Siberian Unicorn

Also some non Ice Age photos.

Bandstand of 1873.

Alpine Yard (in development)

Historic Gardens. Tudor Garden on the right. Medieval and Roman Gardens to the left.

Nice photos of the animals but I think they might have been displayed a little better - what are those strange white things with the round grill in them?!

Was a free Heritage Open Day on Sunday 15th September 2019 during Birmingham Heritage Week. Some photos I've got up so far.

Tropical House

Subtropical House

Mediterranean House

Arid House

Last edited:
Back