• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bordesley to Yardley road.

ALB10N

master brummie
Watched the match at my sons on Saturday & had a few beers. (As you do) ;)
I'd meant to get the bus home, but decided to walk a bit of the way. Getting towards the 'watering hole' I had the choices of a bus, walk down Coventry road, or walk down Small Heath bypass....
So I did neither..... I'd forgotten, until beside it, that I could go along the canal, too.... So that's what I did :)

Shortly into the walk I'd decided to capture the journey on my phone....

It's pretty boring, really, but at the end of my trek I'd taken 47 pic's with my trusty (old) mobile.

So for those who like this sort of 'stuff,' enjoy.

PS. It was dry all way until I got off the canal at Yardley road.... Then I got soaked!! :(

The first pic is of where the photo's were (approximately) taken.

Pic's 20 - 24

Only half way...... Other half tomorrow,... unless i'm begged not to. :D

Albion

Great photos, I haven't walked along the canal there since my youth. The amount of changes are incredible. More please.

Phil

Lovely photos, I have never walked along the canal, looks just like the country side.

Thanx for the encouragement Phil... :)

My daughter said I'm brave to have walked it.... So quiet with nowhere to 'get away' from possible trouble... I think I'm big enough & ugly enough to defend myself...
:D

30 - 34

30 & 31 are looking down to the river cole, which the canal crosses.....

There's water there,... I assure you. ;)

Last edited:
It is like being in the countryside Mariew,... In some parts at least. Traffic noise is the worst (Coventry road), but certain stretches are very peaceful... even near the factories.
My personal bug bear is the grafitti. :(

Albion. What a great idea you had there. I hope it inspires more people to do something similar. i.e. anyone down Aston/ Rocky Lane way. Thanks for posting. Barry.

Albion,
the toe paths look well used, when i was a kid i have walked from the BSA towards the Yardley rd just for abit of fun.

hi albian
Great photo's I had forgotten just how magical "the cut" was, spent many happy hours newting and stickelbacking on our local one, problem is now if it ain't filled in you run the chance of being mugged.
hope the pint was'nt too wet
paul stacey

do Barges use that strech of the canal a nephew of mine lives on a Barge and the canal he is on there are Barges coming and going all the time.

I saw two barges being used that day... One at the first lock I started from, another when about half way....
The couple on the second boat were dressed in fur hats, gloves & very warm looking coats... I, on the other hand, wore shorts & T-Shirt. :)

Was it me or them? lol

Albion,
I used to cycle along the towpath from Kings Norton to Broad St.
Very pleasant ride and a few narrowboats along the way, mainly fron Gas St. basin with tourists aboard.
Regards John.

I wonder if it's possible to fish these canal's now? Many years ago there was mention of fish returning as the polution dropped..... It didn't look too bad walking along it, but it's been a long while since i've seen fishermen on there.... 20 - 30+ years, I think?
I used to fish on the canal's at Lapworth.... Great days... :biggrin:

my brother fishes the Coventry canal regularly by Hartshill photo of the strech he fishes.
barrycanal023.jpg

barrycanal021.jpg

barrycanal022.jpg

It looks nice there... :)
Busier too,.. & NO grafitti in sight. Water doesn't look too clean, but if it's fished...? There's hope for my stretch too. :D

BiLL

as you can see in this photo there are two bridges they were built late 1600s early 1700s and the roads going over are Roman roads and they are very narrow one car only alot of history around there.

barrycanal025.jpg

I stumbled upon this thread and realised almost immediately that I had done a very similar walk on 17th July, 2006. I too saw three long boats chugging their way along the canal. I was thrilled to see that one of them had been hired by a group of youngsters. What a joy to see that these young people appreciated this kind of slow, historical kind of holiday instead of the usual razzmatazz, nightlife-orientated break in Ibiza or Benidorm.

.... View attachment 68234

Proud Mallard mum with her brood .....

View attachment 68233

The defaced plaque on the King's Road bridge ....

View attachment 68235

.... with its hideous graffiti hated by ALB10N and, I imagine, all of us.

ALB10N, I'd love to see all the original photographs .... they seem to have been lost in the restructuring of the site .... a pity. Do you think you could repost them? David

Last edited:
Back