• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley Park Road

The Bolton Arms was on the corner of Oakley road/Bolton Road. Vanns Buildings are shown in the map below

map_c_1902A_showing_Vanns_buildings__cooksey_road.jpg

Thanks Mike never knew where Vanns Buildings were looks like Jenkins Street , just shows never believe what the caption says
Bernie

t depends on when the photograph was taken Berniew. The c1889 large scale map (from which I got the position), shows enkins St ending at Cooksey Road, and another terrace where the lower part of Jenkins st is. this must have been demolished when the road was continued, but before the address would have been Cooksey Road

map_c_1889_Vanns_buildings_cooksey_road.jpg

thanks for the info mikejee much appreciated i can place the bolten now by oakley rd school, and thank you berniew great photos

just caught up with your family photos michael...how wonderful..love the one with the dog in it...

lyn

Hi mhemery, great photos! Looking at the bridge pic 0025, I don't recall the metal one in the 50's. Then, what once stood where the billboard is?

hello beamish,i think theres allways been two bridges back in the 60s any way, but i,m always willing to learn all the best

when you mentioned pic 25 i was looking at post 25 so got me self confused sorry about that michael

hello berniew can,t quite work this one out ,im guessing that this is the end of miles st,looking across bordesley pk rd to coventry rd, is that right. mhe

The Retreat Bordesley Park Road  1953.jpgFound a pic titled the retreat Bordesley Park Road whilst looking for a =nother retreat can't place this

image.jpg
That me at the front third from right. Back row at the back third from left Elizabeth Ross
cant remember anyone else.

View attachment 80640
I'm sure most of these images are off this forum so sorry to whoever posted them originally

I was born (in 1963) on the opposite side of Bordesley Park Road, at No.44, and then moved to Yardley in the early 70s. I always remember going to a shop a few doors away, as well as the out door of the Horse & Jockey pub. I also recall another shop that was located somewhere near the Bridge. Spent my early school days going to Dixon Road. I also remember peering into Macauleys toy shop (not sure of the spelling) just around the corner on the Cov. I moved out of Birmingham six years ago but still come back to visit my dear old mum who still lives in the area (just off Watery Lane in 'Bordesley Village').

Hi michaelg63 welcome to the forum, is this the other shop you refer to on the right it was a newsagents/sweetshop etc. you can see the shadow of the bridge. MIchael H

Thanks for replying. Yes, that was probably it as I do recall getting sweets there. I have very dim and distant memories of the proprietor being a bald gentleman, or is it just my memory playing tricks on me? Walking around there now, it's hard to envisage what it used to be like. The people I knew and remember are now long gone. Next time I'm visiting mum I'll find some photos she still has of our time there.

P.S. Can't remember the ice cream parlour though.

Back