• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley green

Hello Acklam,
If you grandparents were opposite the builder's yard (Pearces), they were half way down Victoria Street and across from North Warwick Street and just before the maisonettes, which were built early 50s... where houses had been bombed. The fist maisonette was No38
I knew the caretakers at the builder's from mid 50s onwards.
Annie
This is a comparison with how it looked years ago.

Attachments

• Church on victoria street 1.JPG
    Church on victoria street 1.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 46
Hi Jim & Annie. Thank you both for the photo and info it makes my memories a little more clear. The family name of the caretakers was Baldwin but I think they may have left by the middle fifties.
Many thanks Acklam19.

Its the junction of Bordesley Green (straight ahead), Victoria street on right, Bordesley Green Road on Left and Cherrywood Road between Bordesley Green and Bordesley Green Road. If you go straight ahead on the Bordesley Green you next turning on the right is Carlton Road, followed by Whitehall Road and then Palace Road. I lived on Palace Road.
Thanks for the photo. I lived in Whitehall Road. Interesting how "green" transport was then with the electric Trolley buses.

My mom ... was a dinner lady at the Boys Technical School in Bordesley Green Road
Hello there Imr3103,
I was at Bordesley Green Tech between September 1959 and July 1966. The attached photo I've taken from the 1964 official school panoramic photograph. Is your Mum one of these two dinner ladies? Can you name the other lady? As I run a Facebook page based on The Tech, would you be willing to let me know the surnames of the two ladies please for our records? I recall that one is Mrs Sharman, but I don't remember whether she's the one on the right or left.
Thank you, David. (db84124)

Dinner ladies 1964.jpg

Hello there Imr3103,
I was at Bordesley Green Tech between September 1959 and July 1966. The attached photo I've taken from the 1964 official school panoramic photograph. Is your Mum one of these two dinner ladies? Can you name the other lady? As I run a Facebook page based on The Tech, would you be willing to let me know the surnames of the two ladies please for our records? I recall that one is Mrs Sharman, but I don't remember whether she's the one on the right or left.
Thank you, David. (db84124)

View attachment 150679

Hi David, those ladies were the Head cook Mrs Sharman (on the left, she usually wore glasses!) and the Deputy cook, Mrs Sayers. Both ladies were lovely. I sometimes went into the school kitchen with my Mom on the occasions they had to go in to prepare for a new term. Mrs Sharman was very kind to me, and allowed me to stay in her office. I thought I was very highly honoured and always remember a beautiful picture of a ballerina she had on the wall! The kitchen was run like clockwork, an immaculate place. Every day the dinner ladies had to take it in turns to scrub the kitchen floor, literally on their hands and knees!
My mom loved her time there, there was great camaraderie amongst them all, and many funny stories! The boys there were so polite (to the dinner ladies anyway!) and in later years when they'd left the school still called Mom "Miss" if she ever bumped into them! Mom sadly developed dementia the year before she passed away, and would often speak as if she still worked at the school. A bit sad but proving how much those days had meant to her.
Lynn.

Hello, Lynn, I'm deeply saddened to learn that you've lost your Mum.
You've sent me such a lovely, detailed reply that I'd like your permission it publish it on our FB page. Having such a strong connection with the school, I wonder if you'd be interested in giving it a look. It's called Bordesley Green Boys' Technical School and there are several panoramic school photos on which your mum may appear.
Would it be all right if I post the photograph I've sent you together with your wonderful description?
David.

You're more than welcome to post my reply David. I don't have Facebook myself but my sons do, so I'll definitely take a look at your page. I'm sure I'll find it very interesting! Something else you may or may not know... Another of the dinner ladies, Mrs Emery, lived in Shard End Crescent- right next door to Jeff Lynne's family !
Lynn.

Hello Lynn,
Just wanted to thank you for putting me back in touch with 'Susan from Victoria Street'... after 45+ years!
We spent an hour catching up and reminiscing.... lovely to have something good going on during these difficult times.
Once again, many thanks!
Annie

Hi Annie,
So glad we realised our Sue was the same one! She was so thrilled about it, and I agree with you, anything good means a lot at the moment... I'm sure you won't leave it another 45 years before you catch up again!
All the best,
Lynn x

I Also remember the Harrisons there were about 8 lads went to school with Melvin and Terry ,and sisters or twins from the outdoor in North Warwick Street one was named Angela Bernie
Bobbie Harrison is still a friend of mine we went to Marlborough Road school in the early 1950s and Terry, is also still around he went to school with my brother David. I speak to Bobbie every few weeks.

doctor martin what a no nonsence star i lived in the out door in greenway street and the doc was so straight and funny happy days
I too lived in Greenway Street number 122 next door to Johnny Carter between 1941- 1962. I am still in touch with people from those years

No real idea, but they could be places that Birmingham is 'twinned' with?

Here's a few nostalgic shots of that junction in the late 40's when the Trams ruled, from David Harvey's wonderful book.https://forum.birminghamhistory.co....irminghamhistory.co.uk/images/attach/jpeg.gif

I must have passed this junction on the 53 or 54 a bezillion times in my youth, either going 'up town' or to school in Camp Hill. Forgotten that big Braclays Bank that stood where the Garage site with the old Jaguars was later..also Fred Parkin's, Perk's...bit of a change now. Glad to see the Vic still looks 'used' Max. Played for the Vic many times in the 70's with Raggy Allen's son, and Dougie Towers plus the notorious Philips brothers. Kenny was murdered I think...
Moggy Rose managed the side with Ralphie Merrill as assistant. Always had big tussles for bragging rights on BGE with the George down Garrison Lane in the Coronation League. They were better cos they had big Morris Hodierne. at Centre Half, Brick 'outhouse' or something like that, if you know what I mean...
I remember you Dennis, I too played football for the Vic along with Dougie Towers, Bobbie Harrison, Alan Moore, Bobby Strong.
Kenny Phillips helped run another side there earlier than Moggy Rose. on with Charlie Lane. Were you ever in "The Dickie Bow Club" we ran in The Vic?

Hello Acklam,
If you grandparents were opposite the builder's yard (Pearces), they were half way down Victoria Street and across from North Warwick Street and just before the maisonettes, which were built early 50s... where houses had been bombed. The fist maisonette was No38
I knew the caretakers at the builder's from mid 50s onwards.
Annie
Was the caretaker at Pearce's Richard Marson & his wife Mary, with children Carol, Colin & Richard. Richard senior was my mothers cousin. Carol worked at the Vic Pub behind the bar for awhile. I am still in touch with Carol. Bombed out Brummie

Hi Colin,
Me and my mate Jimmy Cooke used to play snooker in the Custard House, (funny name for a pub) and we used to go out with the gaffers daughters- one sunday morning he was shaving and just dropped dead-that was the end of that.
That was between 1958-1961, we then migrated to the Avenue in Green Lane, which at the time was kept by
Ken and Edna Perry, I eventually went to work behind the bar.
Happy Days.
Regards John Knight.
Hello did you know bar maid called Helen whomlived above the flat in Blake lane and worked in the Cafe too called Winns cafe she was married to John Jack Clarkson.

First time on this didnt know this sort of site existed. I moved to Hugh Road in 1962, until 1975 when i got married and moved to Edgbaston. Happy days in small heath

First time on this didnt know this sort of site existed. I moved to Hugh Road in 1962, until 1975 when i got married and moved to Edgbaston. Happy days in small heath
Welcome to the site ran. You can spend hours here finding all sorts of history & information. Hope you enjoy.

Back