• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley green

1601812194155.png

There was a girl who used to catch the same bus that I did going to school, who got off in Bordesley Green to go to where she worked in a building on the left as you were going towards Stechford. It was quite a small building a bit beyond the shops, and I always used to wonder what she did there. She seemed very smartly dressed.
On the other side was a house with a row of hair dryers in the window.

There was a girl who used to catch the same bus that I did going to school, who got off in Bordesley Green to go to where she worked in a building on the left as you were going towards Stechford. It was quite a small building a bit beyond the shops, and I always used to wonder what she did there. She seemed very smartly dressed.
On the other side was a house with a row of hair dryers in the window.
Hi there ... think a little bit more info is needed here if you’re going to get to the bottom of your Q, particularly ... where in BG she got off the bus!? Good Luck!

Its the junction of Bordesley Green (straight ahead), Victoria street on right, Bordesley Green Road on Left and Cherrywood Road between Bordesley Green and Bordesley Green Road. If you go straight ahead on the Bordesley Green you next turning on the right is Carlton Road, followed by Whitehall Road and then Palace Road. I lived on Palace Road.

Agree with jim1uk 2001 on location of picture, I lived in Victoria Street.

Maria Magenta, not sure where your 'smart girl' got off the bus, but I do remember 'Madge's' hairdressers on the right hand side of Bordesley Green. It was in the ground floor of a house somewhere between Palace Road and Charles Road (or maybe Imperial Road).

Annie

Agree with jim1uk 2001 on location of picture, I lived in Victoria Street.

Maria Magenta, not sure where your 'smart girl' got off the bus, but I do remember 'Madge's' hairdressers on the right hand side of Bordesley Green. It was in the ground floor of a house somewhere between Palace Road and Charles Road (or maybe Imperial Road).

Annie

I didn't know the hairdressers' was called Madge's! That's great to know, thank you.
I've looked at a street plan, but can't place where the smart girl got off the bus. Really I was just thinking aloud, but in a way I would like to know what she did there. It's one of those very vague memories that I suppose we all have. She had blonde hair with a lot of lacquer :) and caried a basket (not such a vague memory, then!)

Hi All. my grandparents lived in Victoria Street in the late 40s early 50s, it was a large Victorian looking building with a very big garden looking at the map it looks as though it is to the left of the Baptist church but I can not remember the number.When I visited them I would rush up to the attic window and look over the huge garden where my Grandad grew all his vegetables and kept chickens,ducks and rabbits so to me it was a Farmyard. All though they had piped water, in the kitchen was a old fashion water pump and set in the floor was a wooden hatch, when lifted it exposed the well with a terrifying drop down to the water level. I remember across the road was a builders yard where my Uncle was Caretaker. Regards Acklam19

Hello Acklam,
If you grandparents were opposite the builder's yard (Pearces), they were half way down Victoria Street and across from North Warwick Street and just before the maisonettes, which were built early 50s... where houses had been bombed. The fist maisonette was No38
I knew the caretakers at the builder's from mid 50s onwards.
Annie

My Aunt Win lived down an entry on the right just as you came down Victoria Street from Bordesley Green There was a hairdressers on the front called Ella’s.
Lynn.

Next to Ella's was a Dressmakers.
I knew two girls who lived in the terrace behind the shops, Jackie and Susan.
It was a happy time for me, growing up in Victoria Street.
Annie

Hello Lyn,
Thank you for your reply.
Not only did I know Susan from schooldays, we used to go dancing at the same place... Billy Ponds in Green Lane and then later we worked for the same company in Hobmoor Road.. Morris & Jacombs.
It all seems a lifetime ago... but lovely times in one of the real old areas of Birmingham.
Regards to Susan... I hope she's well and happy.
Annie

Sue is fine although not in the best of health. I'll certainly pass on your regards, I'm sure she'll be thrilled to hear from you. I take it your name is Annie?
Lynn.

Thanks again for your reply, Lyn. I'm sorry to hear that Susan is not too well.
She would know me as Anne.
I am still in touch with a couple of people from M n Js.
Susan's main friend from Victoria Street was Madeline who lived in the house just before the maisonettes on the left.
I remember your Aunt... very small, but your Uncle was a tall man... I think they had a family connection in Blakeland Street.
Hope Susan remembers me.
Annie

You're right, Uncle Harold had family in Blakeland Street...I think he lived there before they were married. Yes Anne, Aunt Win was small in stature but large in personality Haha ! My mom was a half sister of Win, and very different! She was a dinner lady at the Boys Technical School in Bordesley Green Road and popped in to see Win most days. I'm a fair bit younger than Sue but I do remember that area very well, such lovely shops on the Green as we called it. Do you remember Sue's brother Ray? He sadly passed away some time ago. I'll txt Sue tonight, I'm sure she will remember you :grinning:
Lynn.

Hello again, Lyn,
I was trying to think of Susan's brother's name.. Ray.. thank you! Sorry to hear he's gone.
Remember his first child being born.. and think his wife was Evonne?

Yes, lovely shops on BG at the top of Victoria Street... Especially Crawfords.. the smell of loose sweet biscuits and opposite was The Court Steam Laundry and near to there was a Chemist where there was a wonderful display of Mabeline cosmetics.. used to buy the Mascara. As, I said, lovely memories!

Look forward to hearing Susan's response.

Annie

Back