• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bordesley green

I decided to take a detour down Bordesley Green today,on my way home,its a sad looking place these days,filthy with litter,they wouldn't stand for that filth in the city centre would they,sad really,Bordesley Green and its park were our playground long ago.

HI Derekw ;
I for one have to agree with you but we aint alone in thinking that there are lots of folk think and say about it ;
but there is alot of other parts of brum are worse than that i have seen ; it seems the council have forgoten about the suburbs and districts
of the inner city areas and its folk and are concertrating on the city centre but there again its up to local people to keep standards up
and the true ones are the older generations whom had standards are the old folk especialy the ladies whom scrubbed there front door steps daily
and swept the pavement out side thee front door and the horse rd and kept it clean ;it also includes the windows cleaning
that is another let down when you walk down a street a rd full of dirty house windows and broken ones as well
nobody as a window cleaner no-more where have they gone ; these people of oday just throw thee unwanted goods and rubbish into the street
creating rats and vermin yes i have walked a many of streets over my life time and seen excactly what you are seeing today ; the down turn of brum
may be in time we will latch on to what the yangies are doing ; and thats geting the unemployed doing comuneitity jobs like sweping rds for there
pay of beninfits and get payed by food vouchers and they cannot get get booze or fags on it
they have intoduced a section to have to work in the charity shops in some areas so really this is an early sign that we will follow the yanks down that pathe
i do know there is a percentace of peopletoday are getting there benefits by food vouchers and they are not the foreingners i am speaking about either
but i will say in time to coe in afew years from now you will see this happening beleive me
but it does not mean we have to suffer the dirty envoionments we are living in if you ever get to worcestershire you would se a different world
and to the moderators i am not promoting a day trip to members i am merely pointing out the the diffence of a cleaner and secure envoiroments of cleaner strets
as the guys down here are out every day of the week litter picking the city centre and the kerb side its is completely spotless ;
i am a true brummie through and through and always speak highly of brum even thou some would not undestand my english;or should i say my brummie accent
which i may had some of these worcesterights down here understand me when i speak they keep asking me to repeat what i am saying
and may i add alot of these worc people all originate from brumm but they have been here that lng they now talk like a born worcester person best wishes Astonian;;;

Can anyone help me on this thread? I am looking for the date that Bordesley Green Girls School buildings changed over to the Junior School and the Secondary school moved to the old Bordesley Green Tech School building in Bordesley Green Road.

I decided to take a detour down Bordesley Green today,on my way home,its a sad looking place these days,filthy with litter,they wouldn't stand for that filth in the city centre would they,sad really,Bordesley Green and its park were our playground long ago.

My husband and I revisited our 'little park' in the Ideal Village last year. We both used to live locally. We were very sad and frustrated that what was a beautifully kept park from our childhood days had become vandalised and abused. The old drinking fountain monument had been all but destroyed, the 'parkies' hut is no more and it is just a poor excuse for a park. I know campaigners have been trying to keep this park open, having arranged for trees to be cut back and shrubs tidied. However it is a shadow of its former self. I was asked to explain the type of park it used to be in the 50's and the best way I could describe it to them was that it was for promenading ladies and couples and children. The gardens were like show gardens back then, with holly bush/trees, laurels of differing varieties and beautiful rhododendrons that would have won prizes for their show.
Instead of enjoying the visit we came away totally disappointed and saddened that humans can allow their surroundings to fall into such dilapidation and neglect.

A good friend of mine on a recent visit to Birmingham said Birmingham now looks like one big mistake,I couldn't agree more.

Thank goodness that I have treasured memories when it was so very different.

A good friend of mine on a recent visit to Birmingham said Birmingham now looks like one big mistake,I couldn't agree more.

Thank goodness that I have treasured memories when it was so very different.

and our memories are something that they cant erase derek

lyn

I lived in Palace Road 1950 - 1965 & went to Marlborough Rd Infants then Somerville Road Junior and Marlborough Road Secondary (my older brother & sisters went to Marlborough - Dorothy, Margaret, David & me Pat JENNINGS). I left at the end of the 2nd year & moved to Ward End. I used to go to TORTURE CLUB at Marlborough & was allowed to go swimming during school time as PE & swimming teachers thought I was good.

I lived in Palace Road 1950 - 1965 & went to Marlborough Rd Infants then Somerville Road Junior and Marlborough Road Secondary (my older brother & sisters went to Marlborough - Dorothy, Margaret, David & me Pat JENNINGS). I left at the end of the 2nd year & moved to Ward End. I used to go to TORTURE CLUB at Marlborough & was allowed to go swimming during school time as PE & swimming teachers thought I was good.

I used to belong to Torture club, nice to see someone who remembers.

Regards

David

There was more than one David Jennings at Marlborough Secondary, I don't think it's my brother who was a goalkeeper - you have reminded me as everyone seemed to know the other 'David Jennings' who was not my brother, he must have been sporty or something as they associated me with him as I was sporty too. My brother had blond straight hair & the other I think was blonde & curly - that's if my memory serves me well.

You're the first one to remember other than me. I went aged 10/11 & they all seemed like grown ups there, it was brill & I enjoyed watching them, but I was never as good. The PE teacher in my new school when we moved got me to go to the BAI in Brum when I was 15yrs & they put me with women & all they did was gamboles on the mat & nothing else & no one taught me anything else & I left as I enjoyed the horse & box work..... my one daughter runs her own gymnastic club (& dance etc) so it runs in the family .

I lived at 215 Cherrywood Road until moving away in 1956. Dad bought me my first bike from Craig's, Mom used to send me with a bowl to Dick Waddams the butcher to get hot faggots and I think Hydes was the pork butcher further up on the opposite side. Near to Hydes was a cake shop, was it Braggs? The bakery was at the bottom of Green Lane near the library. I went to Marlborough Road infants and then to Little Green Lane school. I'm sure much has changed.

I cant seem to see attached pictures. I log in and then when I click on the picture its just a blank! Once I refresh and go back to the post, I see Attached thumbnails label but no pictures. Anyone know why?

I lived at 215 Cherrywood Road until moving away in 1956. Dad bought me my first bike from Craig's, Mom used to send me with a bowl to Dick Waddams the butcher to get hot faggots and I think Hydes was the pork butcher further up on the opposite side. Near to Hydes was a cake shop, was it Braggs? The bakery was at the bottom of Green Lane near the library. I went to Marlborough Road infants and then to Little Green Lane school. I'm sure much has changed.

I'd love to go back in time and see the library and swimming pool again.

maria

I cant seem to see attached pictures. I log in and then when I click on the picture its just a blank! Once I refresh and go back to the post, I see Attached thumbnails label but no pictures. Anyone know why?

If they were earlier photos you were trying to look at, if you look at the top of the page you will see that the forum was hacked and photos were lost. Thats probably the reason. If there are any particular ones you wanted to look at just ask on here and perhaps someone will replace them for you.

Hello JohnT - I too lived in Palace Road at number 55 - the Jennings Family - Dorothy, Margaret, David & me Pat from 1950, when I was 1 yr old to 1964 ish. I was always being sent to that shop & our house was opposite the maisonettes & few doors down from the bomb building site where I used to play with my brother & his friends when he had to look after me. I went to Somerville Road Juniors & also would buy the arrowroot sticks & also went to Marlborough Road (so did my older brother & 2 sisters) Infant & Secondary school - At Marlborough Secondary I was good at PE & Swimming & swimming teacher used to take me to extra swimming classes instead of doing my usual lesson & I swam in galas (I had a friend Susan Jackson when I was 12 she was the best swimmer in school & she contacted me few yrs ago & we're on FB. The PE teacher - bit of a dragon - got me into Torture Club after school - brilliant gymnasts. Then I left at 13 with my family to live in Ward End - the Ward family from one of the maisonettes had already moved there - Mr Ward had a car - mechanic. You may now my siblings more as I was shy in those days & a bit of a tom boy. It was nice reading about someone else who used to live in Palace Road.

Hi,
I knew the Goughs from Prince Albert Street, Peter went to school with my brother John and Phillip is the same age as me. The two sisters who lived at the outdoor in Norwood Road were Angela and Paula Garrett. Paula was in my class at Bordesley Green Girls School. Does anyone remember the Beckett family from Victoria Street and the Turners from Whitehall Road?
Plenty of happy memories. We too used to dress our neighbour up as a guy fawkes but we were on the corner of Whitehall Road and Bordesley Green and we did really well with the amount of money we collected lol.

Re the old Bordesley Green Girls School (BGGS), we have a FB page for BGGS and would welcome any girl who attended the school. Its a closed group so if any of the old girls would like to join they would need to give some details to gain full access. However you should be able to see who are current members. I'm sure there must be a huge amount of old girls from BGGS out there who would love getting in touch on social media with old friends etc. So what are you waiting for, give it a go, what have you to lose?

There is also a Facebook page for former pupils of Bordesley Green Boys' Technical School. Be very careful to insert the "Boys' Technical School" part of the name into the FB search facility as there are seven FB pages dedicated to The Tech, all of which are empty except the Bordesley Green Boys' Technical School page.
There you'll find scores of photographs (the school itself, former members of staff, sports teams, school plays, etc., etc.), anecdotes about life at the school, street plans, maps and aerial photos of the school buildings together with a general history of one of the city's best-known schools which no longer exist ...... it became firstly Arden Upper School and is now Bordesley Green Girls' School.
If you are an ex-pupil, there is also an excellent 130-post thread on this Forum.

Back