• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bordesley Green Recreation Ground - Help Needed

F

furnier5

Hi

Has anyone out there got any photos of Bordesley Green Recreation Ground (between Imperial Road and Charles Road) taken before the early 70's?

Entering from the Bordesley Green Entrance, I recall (on the left) swings, a large 'rocking' horse painted red, a roundabout made of scaffolding (the spiders web), a roundabout with a high platform made of planks of wood on it (painted green) and a roundabout which had a low platform with support rails.

On the right there was (originally) a slide (which suddenly disappeared under mysterious circumstances) a long bench-like swing with metal hoops, and the never-to-be-forgotten witches hat (my personal favourite).

These wonders of childrens amusement were lost when it was decided that they were too dangerous for yougsters to play on. In point of fact, it wasn't so much the swings and roundabouts that were dangerous, but the concrete beneath them which was not the best thing in the world to land on after a slip up.

I'm pretty sure all of these made up the 'standard' playground 'set' for Birmingham council at the time - so does anyone else recall the layout of their local 'rec'? If you have any photos of these wonderful contraptions, I would be very grateful if you could share them.

Don't have any pics of that park, furnier5, but remember it well. We knew it as 'the swing park'. There was a large gazebo that housed the parkkeeper's hut. Not been in the park for many years but, looking in from the Bordesley Green entrance, it appears that it's just a grassed mound now.

Further down the green, near the Broadway, 'the grass park' is still there but the parkkeeper's hut has gone and the pond was filled in and grassed over yonks ago after a child had drowned.

Last edited:
Yes, Icarus, it came as a bit of a shock to me to see actual Grass in the old rec.

I had no idea that the park near the Broadway once had a pond. I remember it always seemed devoid of people whenever I passed through it; but I do recall making good use of the drinking water font there on many a hot Summers day. Happy days.

There was also a Nursery in Charles Rd park, I escaped from there when I was only 4.
Do you remember Iris, the mongol girl who used to push the swings round at about 300 M.P.H.
Our kids mate, Graham Kent lived in Imperial Rd, family of hairdressers I think.

All I remember of that recreation ground in Charles Rd is, adjacent to it was a Building Contractor's Yard and they were one our clients, this would be early 70's.

What about this picture of this little rec ground in Newdegate St Nechells in 1965 after the bulk of the demolitions had finished.

What do you think the HSE would say about that monster today mind you for all I know it could be still there.

Phil

NechellsNewdegateStPlayground1965.jpg

Oh yes, Postie, I'd forgotten about the Nursery being built in the park.

BTW .. I'm still trying to link those Imperial Road Kent's to my lot.

The park in Charles Road/Imperial Road is Henry Barber Recreation Ground (Who was Henry Barber?) .

The other park I think some of the posts have alluded to further along Bordesley Green behind Finnemore Rd/Marchmont Road is Bordesley Green Rec or more correctly known as Ideal Park (within Ideal Village). There was a memorial in the park for a man who lost his life saving a young girl from drowning in a nearby pool that has long gone (probably located across the road in Bordesely Green Allotments)

I remember Iris she lived in Charles Road was Fred the " parkie "when any of yoused the park ,he was there for years .Bernie

The slide in Charles Rd park was removed after a mate of ours fell from the top and fractured his skull.

The Barbers also must have owned alot of property locally as the park side of Charles Road the houses belonged to the Barber Trust Bernie

Back