• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

BOOTS THE CHEMIST

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
did anyone work for boots in 1977 as i have a letter here accompanied by a lovely colour booklet that was given to all shareholders and staff to celebrate 100 years of boots...it gives the history of boots from the day it started in nottingham also list all of the products they sold with photos and much more..very interesting read...just wondered if anyone on the forum received the letter and booklet in 1977...i am happy to scan the letter the front and back of the booklet and a few inside pages if anyone is interested

lyn

No rush Lyn. Just interested as remember my Gran insisting on using Boots for her medicines. She reckoned their stock was "fresher" than the nearby little local chemist :D . I assume because they had a bigger turnover.

No rush Lyn. Just interested as remember my Gran insisting on using Boots for her medicines. She reckoned their stock was "fresher" than the nearby little local chemist :D . I assume because they had a bigger turnover.
she was a wise woman Janice. my mom would only use BOOTS,chemist even though it meant going into town as she called it:grinning:

as promised the front cover of the booklet the letter which was sent to all staff and shareholders and the first few pages...there are about 6 pages of books products listed that were on sale in 1977 which i will happily scan and post if anyone is interested

lyn

img423.jpgimg423.jpgimg424 - Copy.jpgimg425.jpgimg426.jpgimg427.jpgimg428.jpgimg429.jpgimg430.jpg

I wonder how much longer they can survive, there's already talk of closures and reorganisation.

i like to look on the bright side for boots...surely there must always be a market for chemist shops...fingers crossed for them

lyn

But they have greatly reduced the % of their business that deals with real medicines and increased the % that deals with dubious things and grossly overpriced snake oils that supposedly make men and women look and smell better

That's where the money & the deals are, Mike. The prices of most real medicines are very much controlled.

Maurice :cool:

Back