• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Boots’ Cafe, Colmore Row

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
When I first saw this mentioned in press reports I thought it might be connected to Boots’ the Chemist, but can find no evidence to support that. It’s also difficult to pinpoint exactly where on Colmore Row the Cafe was located. Maybe it was at the Grand Hotel ? I think the name ‘Cafe’ was used in the sense of the popular 1920s places where you could go for ‘dinner and dance’. It was in operation from the 1920s until at least the 1940s and catered for all types of organisations’ functions. Viv.

5DE7DB80-B087-42DC-AE2D-00AFCD721CF5.jpegD3F2D91A-D2EC-459E-AACC-4735F7DB10E8.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archives.

Last edited:
A further check of newspaper reports shows the address as 120 Colmore Row. In advertisements for chefs and waiting staff for the Cafe, recruitment was carried out by Boots the Chemists. Viv.

A further check of newspaper reports shows the address as 120 Colmore Row. In advertisements for chefs and waiting staff for the Cafe, recruitment was carried out by Boots the Chemists. Viv.
Viv - what date was it when you saw 120? According to the maps 120 is the other end of Colmore Row by Victoria Square - but it could have been offices rather than the shop/cafe. It seems to be listed as a firm of accountants.

The date was 7/12/1900 Janice and it referred to Boots Pure Drug Company Ltd. So I think you’re right, it must have been an administrative address, not the shop/cafe.

This advert announces the opening of the Cafe in 1914. The retail branch was there before this time. Viv.

87802E64-5792-4B75-A5EA-901287653185.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archives.

Viv - what date was it when you saw 120? According to the maps 120 is the other end of Colmore Row by Victoria Square ......

Think this is the explanation Janice. The address looks like it’s part of the Boots address in this notice. But I think it must be the address of the accountants. Viv.

Attachments

• 741BBBD9-5C31-4FB1-8753-CFD2DBEE311D.jpeg
    741BBBD9-5C31-4FB1-8753-CFD2DBEE311D.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 8
so was that lovely building here then...tragic...what a faceless view now...for anyone interested i recently started a thread for boots and posted some pages of their old booklet on it

Last edited:
Think this is the explanation Janice. The address looks like it’s part of the Boots address in this notice. But I think it must be the address of the accountants. Viv.
That is the name of the firm who are still there in at least 1940. I didn't check as far back as 1900 but will do so in a bit

That firm are one of several who occupy 120 Colmore Row in 1900. Must be a long established firm as also there in 1890. In 1883 the firm was just in the name of Sharp. I can't check inbetween as directories on Ancestry jump from 1883 to 1890.
There is still a firm called Sharp Parsons and Tallon Accountants - based in London - wonder if it the same firm??

Can I remember going upstairs to lunch in the restaurant of Boots, at the end of the Great Western Arcade, on to Colmore Row, where they had linen napkins and tablecloths and a violinist or a pianist playing, in the 1950s/early 1960s? Or is this just a figment of my imagination?

Back