• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Booths Farm

Lyn

As Phil says, the location of Booths Farm was as he has explained, here are a 1963 map and a photo and a map locating the site today.

cheers phil...think ive got me bearings now...will take a look when i have time to get over there

lyn

Last edited:
A couple of today's aerial views of the area where Booths Farm might have been. There appear to be patches of rubble which I've marked with red squares.
All speculation of course ! Probably needs some excavations !
Google's View
BoothsG.jpg

Apple's View
BoothsA.jpg

Last edited:
I think this feature has possibilities too

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1415107424.905456.jpg

Seems to be an elongated structure, if not the farmhouse itself, it might be one of the other farm structures (by the P on Mikes map?).

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1415107514.553793.jpg

Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

thanks dave your map confirms that when i lived in cramlington rod i visited friends in caddick road i used to walk down a gully at the side of the last shop in booths farm road...this led to caddick and so i would have seen the farmhouse before demo..

thanks dave your map confirms that when i lived in cramlington rod and visited friends in caddick road i used to walk down a gully at the side of the last shop in booths farm road...this led to caddick and so i would have seen the farmhouse before demo..now i definately know how to get there lol

lyn

Last edited:
viv ive had a better look now...go to calshot road school..opposite there are some shops...the one on the end is a take away called full house...at the side of that is the gully i mentioned earlier...can actually street walk it so far down and it is now appropriately called forgers walk...

Will go and have a look now Lyn Thanks.

Gathered together a few photos from the Digital Handsworth site which might be of help. You never know what clues you might find in photos. Viv.

First a couple of long views:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1415111657.626687.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1415111672.586738.jpg

And a few views of the farmhouse itself:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1415111707.931850.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1415111737.631929.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1415111759.367754.jpg

One more. V.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1415112346.589843.jpg

This was a good sized farm with 118 acres.

An OS map from 1834 which I think shows Booth's Farm. On the map there's a farm labelled 'The Farm' (pink dot). Am I right in thinking this is Booth's Farm? And if so I wonder why it was simply called 'The Farm'. All the other Great Barr/Perry Barr farms have a specific name, but not this one. Maybe it didn't need a name as perhaps it was so old and so well known as belonging to the Gough's. Or maybe by 1834 the locals preferred to forget its past history. But that seems odd as two local roads were named after Booth. One to mull over. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1415211514.136563.jpg

Yes I believe The Farm (red dot) is the same as Booths Farm,,,

much later I lived on the land which was Pheasey Farm

Thanks Dave. I've also looked over your A-Z map in post #92 again and now have a strong feeling the farm remains are/were here:

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1415221300.530671.jpg

Dave do you have a date for your A-Z map please? I think Phil's aerial shots in post #83 are also a few remains of the farm buildings. The farm was at one time quite substantial.

And here's a photo from the Friends of Queslett Nature Reserve Newsletter showing some of the remains in 2012. We could probably match up the houses in the background with Google maps. Looks like Caddick Road to me behind the remains.

Lyn your alleyway from Caddick Road to Booth's Lane looks like it would once have given access to Booth's Farm according to Dave's map. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1415221434.109501.jpg

Especially for Lyn for her forthcoming treasure hunt. I've studied Mike's map of c1903 and Dave's A-Z map and marked in red the approximate position of Caddick and Bowman Roads. I think the SE corner of Caddick Road is roughly where the remains are likely to be found. All a bit rough and ready, but might save you some time hunting them down (well that's assuming I've looked at it correctly, otherwise you're on your own!!)

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1415275823.784643.jpg

And I've found a few general snippets below which all add to the picture.

'The Farm' (later named Booth's Farm) was:
*. fortified against unwanted guests
*. situated at the end of a long drive
*. equipped with a forge
*. able to access a tunnel leading from the Farm to
the Hare and Hounds in West Bromwich
*. close to a sand quarry

And there was a survey report about the site in 'Factual Data and Ground Model Report for Booths Lane October 2010'. The report would be just before the current housing development. It states: "Booth's Lane is to be relocated in the northern section of the site". This was probably the second change to Booth's Lane, as it's previously been mentioned that it was moved on another occasion for sand quarrying. Viv.

thank you viv..great extra info as well...will let you know if and when i locate it....wellies..spade..metal detector and compass at the ready lol...oh and camera..

lyn

While out today visited Booth`s Lane, access to the site is from the Queslett Rd, go as far as you can on Booth`s Lane turn right at the end of the blocked part, then it`s on your left, booths lane for the main part is closed.

thanks dave i shall be trying to get to it via the gully at the side of the shops bottom of booths farm road...crikey i could get myself arrested at this rate lol

lyn

Last edited:
New houses very close, info board.

Attachments

• 6th November 2014 Thursday 024.jpg
    6th November 2014 Thursday 024.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 24
thats great dave at least we now know that the remains of the farm is still there...shame it was demolished it would have made a great attraction...i am busy for the next few days so it will be sometime next week when i can get over that way...how far was that board from the remains dave were they visible to you..

Last edited:
As you mentioned Lyn when you reach Caddick Road it looks like access is cut off there (but might have changed since Streetview photo. In any case the barriers look like they could be breached. You'll be tackling it in the true spirit of the arrest of William Booth! This part of the gully looks to me like the old track up to the farmhouse, it was quite a long approach to the farm. Be interesting to see if there's anything left along there too. Although I'm not suggesting you'll find a big neon sign saying "Booth's Farm this way" and a big pointy finger!! Viv.

Back