• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Booths Farm

The windows of the cottages look to me as though they've some church connection, rather than a malthouse. Maybe a malthouse for a priory or religious order? Viv

Thanks Bernie. Found a little bit more on the Digital Handsworth site. It says:

"Built in 1913 Malthouse Cottages in Malthouse Lane formed part of the estate of Booths Farm". It's claimed the photo is dated 1968. All this is very surprising as the cottages look much, much older than 1913. So the cottages must have simply been named after the lane. Viv.

I a,m pretty sure that Booth's burial place is in Handsworth and his headstone has been moved to the wall surrounding the graveyard.

Hi I'm trying to trace my fathers side of the family and my father was born and brought up in Booths Farm Sutton Coldfield.the family name is Bonell my grandfather Harry. I believe he was a diary man and won sutton cups in 1932 to 36 for horse and cart best traders man award we still have the cups much treasured . Would you know anyone who would remember the family ? They left Sutton Coldfield in the early 1950s to settle in South Wales .
thanks Craig Bonell

hello craig...hope you have some luck with your research..i must admit i have not heard of a booths farm in sutton coldfield only the the one mentioned in this thread which was in great barr..

all the best

lyn

Can't help Craig...except to say Booths Farm was in Great Barr Birmingham...not Sutton. Try Great Barr Website as a start.

The 1940 kellys gives a Harry Gordon Bonell at booths farm, Monmouth drive. Here is a map c 1937 showing it

map_c_1937_showing_booths_Farm2C_sutton_coldfield.jpg

Hi I'm trying to trace my fathers side of the family and my father was born and brought up in Booths Farm Sutton Coldfield.the family name is Bonell my grandfather Harry. I believe he was a diary man and won sutton cups in 1932 to 36 for horse and cart best traders man award we still have the cups much treasured . Would you know anyone who would remember the family ? They left Sutton Coldfield in the early 1950s to settle in South Wales .
thanks Craig Bonell

Sorry Craig, never heard of a booths Farm in Sutton Coldfield.

Think the Great Barr Booth's Farm was so named due to Wm Booth's notoriety as a forger. It must have originally had another name. Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Did they find any buried forgeries or equipment Lyn? !! The place was supposed to be littered with stuff Booth had buried. I think it's a fascinating piece of local history. Viv.

Did they find any buried forgeries or equipment Lyn? !! The place was supposed to be littered with stuff Booth had buried. I think it's a fascinating piece of local history. Viv.

hi viv...i find it fascinating as well..the farm was still standing when i lived close to it but unfortunately at that time i did not know of its history...i then moved to the north of scotland for a couple of years and this would have been round about the time it was demolished..would have been first in if i could have lol...i dont think my bro did not personally find anything but i will ask him later if anything at all was found...

lyn

Hi Lynn
I have just been reading some of the threads of the forger booth
I recall being told that the very first forger was hurried in within cemetery all those years ago and it was behind the big wall
As you go up from witton could this be the same guy I was never told his name only just behind that wall in the early fifty
As we was walking up they mentionined it and they say it was the 18oos so there may be a possible answer to be or not to be him
Or some one else could there be a record of it at the history ledgers of the cemetery or is there a y other older member
Whom may recall him have a good day best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,,,,,

Been trying to work out where exactly Booths Farm stood. Does anyone know if these are the foundation remains of Booth's Farm (red dot)? The M6 is the road to the right and Booth's Farm stands on Booth's Lane. And are the parallel markings next to the farm old field patterns? If it is the Farm, it seems to have escaped development and hasn't been built upon since demolition. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1415022814.339408.jpg

viv i really cant be sure it was so long ago but i thought it was nearer to booths farm road than that but thats only my thinking...i think we could do with mikes help on this one to be sure...

viv i really cant be sure it was so long ago but i thought it was nearer to booths farm road than that but thats only my thinking...i think we could do with mikes help on this one to be sure but having said that those foundations look to be about the right size for the farm...

Back