• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Book on Birmingham Pubs

A

autumnfairy

Hello everyone,

I found this book. Does anyone have this or seen it around ? It looks quite interesting and maybe has some photos of the older pubs that are no longer here.

Quote:

"Time Please!"

A look back at Birmingham's Pubs by Andrew Maxam with David Hassell

A4 size, 140 page

Over 380 quality photographs from early 1900's to 1970's from Mitchells & Butler archive

Informative captions with interesting historical facts Foreword by Dr. Cral Chinn

All Birmingham covered including city centre, from Acock's Green to Yardley Wood

Unquote

https://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.uk/Pages/Timeplease.asp

this is the link that I found it at

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. jet.cat - yes it's an excellent book, still in the shops in Brum, cover price £11.90, and I would say it's good value. It only covers M&B houses, being taken from their archives, but some of the pics are stunning and printing good - all black and white of course. Captions are very informative, without waffle.
It doesn't aim to give a complete picture, and there's only 2 pages of narrative apart from the captions, and Carl Chinn's one-page foreword (incidentally there were Chinns in the licensed trade in Brum about 150 years ago!). I strongly recommend this book.
Peter

good mornin pete,
i live in worcestershire where about in brum
can you buy this book, being retired licencee,
may be there his some of my pubs in there
many thanks for the information ,

I have the book you mentioned, it is very good.It can be ordered from branches of Waterstones or Borders, both branches in the Touchwood centre carry it in stock.
If you are looking for a particular pub, then I can look it up for you. O0

THANKS POSTIE,FOR THE INFO,
WE HAVE GOT A WATERSTONE,S BOOK SHOP
IN THE MIDDLE OF WORCESTERSHIRE
I WILL TRAVEL INTO THE MIDDLE OF WORC ,
TOMORROW AND EITHER PURCHASE IT , OR ORDER IT ,
WHICH EVER THE CASE BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ,;;;;

Back