• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Book: Newtown and Summer Lane by Drake & Glasby

Surprise Surprise. I've got a result.:)

Do you think its the fact that I said I was going to mention it to the papers help?:)

Phone Rang this morning and it was W.H.Smiths,:shocked: it went something like this.

Mr Buckley?, yes which one?, Mr A, Yes.

I am pleased to tell you that your book you ordered Newtown & Summer Lane has now arrived and you can collect it.

I thought I had cancelled it

Nothing on the Computer Sir

Well I haven't paid for it and you told me last week that if no money you couldn't get it for me.

Yes Sir but this is the one and only time we can do it for you.

Why did you not ring me with the good news,

After your phone call I had a word with the Manager and he approved it.

Well I asked to speak to the Manager and was told he was busy.

Don't know about that Sir, I'm the Head of this department and don't know who took the call, well I did ask for her name, sorry about that. will you be in today to collect Sir, no someone else will if they have time, don't worry Sir it will be waiting for you. Will there be anything else Sir.

No thank you.;)

What a lot of Bull.....:explode:

Hi Alf,
Had a similar response from Waterstones, but decided to go on Amazon and chose 6 books all together.

I recieved them all within 4 days of ordering them, great service.

You will enjoy the book when you finally get it, I know I did:)

paraman

alf. i have said it before. you just couldnt make it up. hey at least you have got it. happy reading wales:)

I buy at least one book on Birmingham per week from Amazon, and have always received an A1 service. I buy new books and sometimes buy used copies that though advertised as second hand are often new and unused.

I have picked up books for as little as 95p that are brand new with a shelf price of £12.95. You can't even beat the prices of some on Ebay.

Anybody looking for any book should find Amazon Books on their browser and type in the name of the book on the search engine there.

Phil

I've got it paraman, and a quick flick through was worth the wait.:)

Its got a couple of Pubs where Dad drank & a Pub I played Football for, a place where Mom worked the Barbers where I had my hair cuts, thats a starter.

Looking forward to showing my Lads expect the usual comments,yeh, yeh & yeh what Mom got for tea

Last edited:
Alf, I went through something very similar to your conversation. It
didn't seem real at the time and didn't make any sense. I never did get the book I was after. Not a Brum book but a Patience Strong quotes book.
Happy reading Alf.

Good tips pmc1947. I intend to build up my Brum collection when next I visit.
It's amazing how many books there are now on Brum. For years there was next to nothing contemporary.

There was a Video series made about Michael Burke's TV programs on Birmingham and I was never ever able to get those:(

Anyone remember them?:)

They sold them in a shop near C & A Corporation Street in a passageway Union? that sold all things Brum.

Last edited:
Alf, I remember that shop as being a promotional type travel place for Brum and places in the 50 mile periphery. It was in the arcade just above where the old Post Office was. I remember there being theatre posters on the windows. The last time I went to look for it a few years ago it had disappeared. I have never heard of the videos. Hope someone else can help.

Seasons greeting all. I was wandering if anyone knows of a book written in about 1985 by I think Pauline Harris(nee mannian).On the suject of summer lane.I think about 200 copies were printed .The book contains an article on the burial of my great grandmother Catherine Hanks .Would be most greatfull if anyone could help. All the best wishes. John.

Back