• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Book: Hockley in Britain in old photographs by David Harvey

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
For those interested in this area, there is a new book just out titled "Hockley" in the Britain in Old Photographs series by David Harvey. I only came across it by accident 4-5 months ago when going through books on the Waterstone's website. It was supposed to be coming out in the next month and I ordered it, but only just received my copy this morning, after almost forgetting about it.
There's a lot of photographs, some I've seen before, but new ones as well, and many informative captions. The photographs do seem a bit flat - lacking in contrast - even the recent ones, but seems quite a good book.
mike

Sounds an interesting book Mike - I will put it on my wish list as it is my side of Brum!

Thanks for that Mike - I will order myself one as a treat for giving-up smoking on new years eve...............:) Mabz

Mike

have you got an ISBN number on that, it helps ensure that you get the right book when ordering.

Phil

Mike

Thanks, I'll go and have a look to see if Abebooks has got it.

Phil

Hi Mike

Just purchased the book from Amazon books at £6.03 + £2.75 delivery not used but a new one.

Phil

thanks for the info mike...like phil i will see if i can purchase one from amazon...

lyn:)

Cost me £9-74 with free postage, because they were having a special offer reduction for card holders when I ordered it . You got the best deal though Phil.
mike

Mike

If like myself you buy a lot of books, it always pays to check Abebooks and Amazon first.

That plug should be worth a free book from each.

Phil

I ordered my book on Hockley today from Waterstones, I paid a little more but it is local and I should have it on Wednesday/Thursday? Can't wait.... Mabz :)

Mike,

Mine came weeks ago and I see what you mean about the photo's being dull and lacklustre, nevertheless its still a very good interesting book.

Phil

Phil
I agree it is very interesting. Regarding the pictures , I did actually phone up the publisher and asked to speak to the person handling the book. I told him it was an interestonhg book, but the quality of the reproduction of the pictures wasn't good. He seemed anxious to take note of that, but then spoilt it slightly by asking exactly what the book was about , so I think they palmed me off with the elderly office boy
Mike

Good on you Mike for bringing the poor quality of the photos to the editor office boy's attention, even if he was unfamiliar with the book. With the software available for improving images it is a constant puzzle that it seems to go unused before copy is sent to the printers.

mike

What you probably got was a customer services bod, about 5000 miles away from the publishers offices who hadn't got a clue what you were on about.

Phil

You're probably right Phil, but he did SOUND english, not that that necessarily means much
Mike

Back