• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bond Street Baptist Church

K

Kaff

I am researching Mercy Baker who was baptised in Bond Street Baptist Church in 1818. I understand that prior to 1837 all marriages (other than Jews and Quakers) took place in Anglican churches. Please could anyone advise me what the nearest Anglican church to Bond Street was at that time.

Thank you

i had a look on google and bond st. baptist church was off constitution hill, hockley, bham.

on igi there is a marriage of mercy baker to william shelton 4.9.1836 at st. marys, handsworth. although it was staffs at the time it is in bham. could this be who you want?

Thanks for that. I am also trying to find a marriage for Mercy's parents John Baker and Elizabeth (I don't know her surname). Would St Martin's have been near?

ive just had a look at st phillips and found one that could be a "possible"

john baker to elizabeth lawrence 30 jul 1792

unfortunately there are no other details.

also at st. martins 19.6.1802 john baker to elizabeth lines
wit. sarah lines and james minchin

Thank you for your help Shera. :) Those are certainly possibilities. May I ask where you found the information?

i have a cd purchased from bmsgh which has births marr and deaths from st.martins and another disc with a few misc. churches around brum. the st. martins disc is very good. the miscellaneous one mainly has very early years so not so useful usually.

Thanks for all your help Shera. I'll have a look on the BMSGH website.

Thanks for all your help Shera. I'll have a look on the BMSGH website.

Mercy Baker, baptised 16/2/1817, daughter of John and Elizabeth Baker was indeed married to William Shelton in 1836 in St Mary's Handsworth and moved up here to Sheffield some time after they were recorded in the census of 1841 as living in Lower Tower Street B'ham, but before 1846 when their son George was born up here. William and Mercy are my 3xG grandparents descending through George. Mercy died 5/12/1859 and William in late 1892? having produced 9 children.

Curiously, there is also in the 1841 census an Elizabeth Baker aged 50 and Elizabeth Field aged 65 both living together in Lower Tower Street, allowing or the rounding of ages, could these be Mercy's mother and grandmother or just a coincidence? Mercy appears to have 6 siblings, 4 baptised in St Philips 1807, 1809, 1810 and 1813 and 2 in St Martin's 1822 & 23 possibly indicating their father John died somewhere between 1823 and 1841 on the other hand there may be several pairings of John and Elizabeth in that area and in that era. Possibly John Baker was born around 1790 ish and married Elizabeth 1805 ish?

I realise my posting is somewhat adrift from Kaff's original but has anything turned up in the meantime? Thanks

Hi
I'm searching for information on of Edwin Walker along with his sister’s Phoebe, Eliza, and Brother’s Thomas, William, John Walker who were all baptized on the 8 Dec 1828 at the Bond Street Baptist Church. They were the children of John and Hannah Walker I think she was nee Hadley.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1586943097048.pngRegards Donna

Last edited:
I have also come across Bond Street Baptist Church in my research of Henry Lowe. It appears that him, his parents and his offspring were all either buried there or their births were registered but not christened there.
It also appears that Henry Lowe was the Deacon/Registrar.
Is there any further history about the Deacons/Registrars of this church?

Back