• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bond Street Baptist Chapel/Meeting House

Maurice re your post #83. I too believe there’s a good chance the Council owns the chapel and land attached. If so I bet they bought it at a knockdown price years ago. When Proctor, Avery etc became bankrupt there was a forced sale by the County Sheriff. The sale didn’t mention any land or buildings in the sale, so presumably they rented the property. Viv.

Maurice re your post #83. I too believe there’s a good chance the Council owns the chapel and land attached. If so I bet they bought it at a knockdown price years ago. When Proctor, Avery etc became bankrupt there was a forced sale by the County Sheriff. The sale didn’t mention any land or buildings in the sale, so presumably they rented the property. Viv.

viv if i could get to the library to try and get some info i would but even though i believe it is now open again i wont use public transport so im kind of trapped at the min :(

Does not give any real information but Margie may be interested in this piece from "Missionary Texts" (https://archive.org/details/missionarysketch00lond by Rev. John Edmonds. (ignore green bits from joining the scans)
View attachment 147302
He did not apparently stay in India very long however, due to the climate not agreeing with his wife.. the following is from The Missionary Gazetteer (https://archive.org/details/missionarygazet04willgoog?q="Rev.+John+Edmonds")

View attachment 147301

John Edmonds is mentioned as at the Free School in Calcutta 1806, and here the Rev John Edmonds arrives back in England in 1827. Chinsurah is up river from Calcutta.

this is very interesting..i wondered why a memo had been sent to the city surveyor so clicked on it and this came up

Record
Ref NoMS 943/1
TitleBond Street Baptist Chapel: memo to city surveyor
Date18 August 1900 - 22 August 1900.
LevelItem
DescriptionRelating to anonymous human remains found in vault of the chapel dated 22 August 1900, with cutting from 'The Argus' attached dated 18 August 1900.
Extent1
FormatItem
AccessStatusTo be confirmed

Last edited:
Thanks Janice and Lyn.This was reported about the time Proctor, Avery etc moved in. Wonder if it was a survey carried out before rental or was it a response to a report of human remains being found.

On secession. Our dear departed Peter Walker has provided us with an answer about the Cannon Street and Bond Street Baptist’s secession. Yes, Cannon Street Chapel suffered not one, but two breakaway movements, the second one being 1784. This breakaway group met in private homes and a room in Needless Alley until they were able to open the doors of their new Bond Street Chapel in 1786. So this must be the reason Bond Street Chapel was created.

The Peter Walker post attached below is from the Cannon Street Meeting House thread. Viv.

Attachments

• D668A7A2-1491-4A77-A0D9-84A4036F4960.jpeg
    D668A7A2-1491-4A77-A0D9-84A4036F4960.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 7
margie said earlier on in the thread that she has and we have seen burial records showing 3 or 4 of her edmund family buried at bond st including a mother and her 2 sons so the question now is were they the ones found in the vault inside the church rather than outside in a church yard...the plot thickens but we are getting somewhere now

lyn

quite so pedro...just posting a copy of margies buriel records for members of the edmunds family...not very up on this but is it usual for the records to state buried IN rather that AT because all of these appear to say buried IN bond st chapel.. so were the remains found in the vault inside the church the edmunds family .just a thoughtbond st burials.png

Last edited:
just clicking a few more links and the library hold a photo of the chapel dated 1966 and also a drawing of the rev e edwards

Ref NoWPS/WK/N4/172
FindingNumberWK/N4/172
TitlePhoto: Chapel Works, Bond Street, Newtown, Birmingham
LevelItem
DescriptionDated 1966
Newtown
Extent1
FormatPhotograph
AccessStatusOpen

Ref NoL/./08/2 Periodicals/C.2/247538
FindingNumberL08.2 Periodicals C/2 / 247538
TitleA sketch of the Rev. E. Edmonds, the first pastor of Bond Street Chapel by "Un ami" In The Literary Palaestra. Number 4. 1866. EDMONDS (EDWARD) Work relating to.
Date1866
LevelItem
AccessStatusOpen

yes jan i would say it deffinately says yard :rolleyes: so now begs another question...were people also buried in a yard attached to the church if so are they still there and what happened to the remains found in the vault...so many questions now but to be buried in a vault it must have been a prominent person/persons

lyn

this is very interesting..i wondered why a memo had been sent to the city surveyor so clicked on it and this came up

Record
Ref NoMS 943/1
TitleBond Street Baptist Chapel: memo to city surveyor
Date18 August 1900 - 22 August 1900.
LevelItem
DescriptionRelating to anonymous human remains found in vault of the chapel dated 22 August 1900, with cutting from 'The Argus' attached dated 18 August 1900.
Extent1
FormatItem
AccessStatusTo be confirmed

You would assume that a cutting from the Argus would refer to The Sports Argus ? But as you can imagine the edition for the 18th 1900 is about 99% sport. Can't see any reference to Bond Street. Unfortunately no mention in the other Birmingham papers that I can find.

yes pedro i thought i strange if it was reported in the argus as you say its really a sporting paper but thanks for looking

lyn

Could it have been another paper. "Argus" is not an uncommon name for a paper, there is/was one in Brighton and Bradford to my knowledge. It could even have been a religious publication.

managed to get down there yesterday to take my own photos rather than rely on street view...remains of the old chapel at pavement level then to the left of that (pic 4)behind all the overgrown bushes is yet more red brick work which lies a tad further back...as we know the whole corner of bond st and along constitution hill is all boarded off and overgrown..took a peek through the gaps nothing to see but i am still convinced that the old burial yard is behind there...

lyn

bond st 2020 2.jpgbond st 2020 3.jpgbond st 2020 4.jpgbond st 2020.jpgBond Street Meeting house and graveyard site. Birmingham..png

That's great - well done!
The plot has got so overgrown now - amazing how nature takes over again.
I reckon it's at least 30 years since the demolition of the buildings.

hi sparks yes i would agree with you about that...have a feeling that the council own the land ..if so do they know about the burial ground/yard that we believe was there and if bodies are still there...that is the question...i will try and contact the council but not sure which dept to contact so if anyone can point me in the right direction i would be grateful

lyn

yes thats right jan i posted that 2009 view earlier in the thread and my photo 4 shows the best shot i could get of the other red brick wall that lays back but it is still there..

lyn

Sorry must have missed it. Think I came a bit late to the thread after I had no laptop. Great pics by the way but I am surprised you didn't hack down some of that foliage. :D :D .

Sorry must have missed it. Think I came a bit late to the thread after I had no laptop. Great pics by the way but I am surprised you didn't hack down some of that foliage. :D :D .

jan even our tom who ran me down there could not find a safe way in but i do think that area needs watching because at the other end of bond st there is a lot of new buildings going up and the st is closed off...

If there was a burial ground at Bond Street, it was not included in the review of Birmingham Burial grounds in 1873. So if there was one, the burial ground must have closed well before that time despite it being Baptist (of different forms) until the 1880s. Perhaps, then, it had been formally closed many years before. Viv.

For ref, the list of burial grounds reviewed in 1873 by the Burial Board. https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...unds-and-cemeteries-in-birmingham-1873.52107/

viv i will have to go back on this thread but i think you posted some info early on saying burials stopped in the 1850s ..and looking at the burial records also posted we can see that on at least 2 burials it says buried in bond st meeting house yard...will double check this later on though

lyn

Lyn,

Is your local Councillor a decent sort? If so, he/she could open the right doors to put you in touch with whoever is responsible, and if you can get them interested enough, they may even be able to pull some strings to get you admittance to take photographs. There must be an official way in. All you need to satisfy them about is that you are doing it for historical purposes and will not go running to the media and make trouble for the Council.

Maurice :cool:

maurice i have a feeling that even if i could get a look behind those hoardings there would be nothing to see ie gravestones...be very surprised if there were any but being honest who knows...all this is my guess work...

good idea about asking a local councillor i will have a think about this tonight and plan the best way forward....also a trip to the library may help because they hold a photo of the chapel and a newspaper cutting re the human remains found in the vault of the church in 1900..trouble is with covid still hanging about travelling is not that easy at the min but i certainly need a plan of action now:rolleyes: as there is too much quess work...

lyn

The Baptist Union Corporation may be worth a try too to see if they have archives. Don’t know if they had a predecessor, but any sales of Baptist property are supposed to be notified to them. Viv.

Attachments

• DDA3D9E4-85D8-4A35-8F4F-0AD258A3AA39.jpeg
    DDA3D9E4-85D8-4A35-8F4F-0AD258A3AA39.jpeg
    30.9 KB · Views: 2
Was wondering about the burial records saying ‘in Bond Street Meeting’. This might not mean in a burial ground. Could the burials have been within the Chapel structure itself and not in a yard ? Or like catacombs or vaults ? Hence why there would be no records of a burial ground as such. Viv.

Back