• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bond Street Baptist Chapel/Meeting House

The Baptist Union Corporation may be worth a try too to see if they have archives. Don’t know if they had a predecessor, but any sales of Baptist property are supposed to be notified to them. Viv.

thanks viv...i can see a tel number but was there an email add please

lyn

Was wondering about the burial records saying ‘in Bond Street Meeting’. This might not mean in a burial ground. Could the burials have been within the Chapel itself and not in a yard ? Or like catacombs or vaults ? Hence why there would be no records of a burial ground as such. Viv.

possible viv...but it does say buried in the yard which kind of throws me a bit...unless of course there is an inside part of churches called yards...cant say as i have heard of that...

lyn

Here’s the link Lyn. Scroll to the bottom of the page. Viv.

There are mentions of Sermons being given at the Bond Street Meeting House, and sometimes at the Bond Street School rooms. They could refer to the same location.

There are mentions of Sermons being given at the Bond Street Meeting House, and sometimes at the Bond Street School rooms. They could refer to the same location.

thanks pedro spot on ..if we look at the map on this thread there is a school at the back of the chapel...thanks

lyn

viv im clicking on where it says email us but nothing is coming up..may have to phone them..

lyn

Lyn - you have to click on who you want to email then it lets you type a message.
What about the councillor in whose ward it is? Would have to look that up.

thanks maurice thanks jan...will check who is councillor in that ward if i think he or she may show an interest i will get in touch with them

Post shows the Rev John Davies from 1861 to 1867.

Prior to this there was a Rev Saunders Joseph Chew in 1858, and after being well received there was much commotion with congregation, according to the Birmingham Journal. Some members were expelled and the Rev resigned, and it ended up as a Court case.

1868-72 the main man was Principal Henderson.

Does not give any real information but Margie may be interested in this piece from "Missionary Texts" (https://archive.org/details/missionarysketch00lond by Rev. John Edmonds. (ignore green bits from joining the scans)
View attachment 147302
He did not apparently stay in India very long however, due to the climate not agreeing with his wife.. the following is from The Missionary Gazetteer (https://archive.org/details/missionarygazet04willgoog?q="Rev.+John+Edmonds")

View attachment 147301
Thank you so much for this! Sorry to have taken so long to come back here. I've been writing for uni. If this is my ancestor, Rev. John Edmonds, then he died only two years after returning from India. He is buried with his wife in Guilsborough. They had five known children, four of whom survived to adulthood.

Thank you so much for this! Sorry to have taken so long to come back here. I've been writing for uni. If this is my ancestor, Rev. John Edmonds, then he died only two years after returning from India. He is buried with his wife in Guilsborough. They had five known children, four of whom survived to adulthood.
Just some background on my family in Birmingham, as far as I know them. At the top of the tree I have Amos Edmonds, born approx. 1720, and he was married to Elizabeth Clarke. They had 9 children, that I know of, but some sources say 10. Three sons became Baptist ministers, Edward, John and Thomas. The two daughters both married Baptist ministers; Mary married Rev. Joseph Bowers, and Elizabeth married Rev. William Muckley. So they were a very Baptist family! Being such a large lot, I am wondering if there is another Rev. John Edmonds that I have not discoved yet, who might have been the missionary who went to India. This will require further research on my part. My Rev. John would have been in his mid 70's by the time the above trip took place, and I do not know if his wife would have been alive. Certainly the change in climate would have been very rough on a lady of this age, so maybe it was them. I have some time to myself over the next few days, so I shall see what I can find online. Oh, I so wish I could make the trip to Birmingham right now! Melbourne is in hard lock down, but I have plenty to keep me occupied.
Thanks again, Margie.

Back