• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bombing of Ash Road Saltley

My mom has lived in Ash Road, for 70yrs. And she told me that the houses next to 6 Ash Road were bombed.

Please ignore my message about living at 155 Ash Road, because I didn't live there at all. I lived in the flats at 55 Ash Road which were also built on a site that was bombed. Mr & Mrs Payne lived at 57

From the BARRA site Martha Hartill aged 77 and Elizabeth Ann Jervis lived at 153 Ash Rd.They were fatally injured on 19/11/1940
Margaret Victoria Turland aged 34 lived at 53 Ash Rd and was fatally injured on 10/04/1941.

Martha Hartill (nee Lodge) was the Mother-in-law of my Great Aunt and Elizabeth Ann Jervis was the sister of my Great Aunt. I never knew about them until I researched my Great Aunt a few days ago and found their deaths on the BARRA site. Stanley Bowyer was Martha's grandson.

How strange that these posts should appear just as I am researching this family connection :)

From the BARRA site Martha Hartill aged 77 and Elizabeth Ann Jervis lived at 153 Ash Rd.They were fatally injured on 19/11/1940
Margaret Victoria Turland aged 34 lived at 53 Ash Rd and was fatally injured on 10/04/1941.

my wife,s nan Margaret Victoria Turland(nee King) aged 34 lived at 53 Ash Rd and was fatally injured on 10/04/1941

I lived in the flats at 55 Ash Road. They were built around 1950 and then demolished in the 70s I think. There were 3 blocks in all, numbers 55, 53 and 51.

I worked at Mrs. Cutts, the grocer down the bottom of Ash Road, not too far from the junction with Adderley Rd.

My grandparents lived in 117 Ash Road during the 39-45 war and my grandmother lived until there until 1963 when she died. Her name was Kathleen Mary Parker (nee Sherwin born in Dublin) and my grandfather, who died in the early 5Os, was William Henry Parker. Both were ARP wardens and my father was William Parker (Pat). He also lived there until he joined up. As a child I visited 117 many times and remember the lavatory down the garden. My mother and father remembered the bombings in Ash Road and on one occasion gravestones from the churchyard were thrown across the road, over their house and into the back garden. My father had to collect human remains, including a head, from the garden after one of the bombings. My mother remembers trembling in the bomb shelter as bombs dropped. Does anyone remember my grandparents or know anything about the Parkers or who lived in the house before or after them? I am a Brummie but my parents moved to Kidderminster when I was four years old.

That's interestng and a little disturbing as, and I assume you're talking about St Saviour's, I had/have relatives buried there.

My name is actually Dennis (Sennid is backwards!). Yes I was talking about St Saviour's. It is opposite number 117 Ash Road. I am sorry that the story is a little disturbing: I understand why. On the positive side the churchyard is quite large and so the chances would be limited to some degree. Chris, thank you for the welcome. I am really hoping someone can remember my grandparents but it is a long time ago now.

I lived in the flats at 55 Ash Road. They were built around 1950 and then demolished in the 70s I think. There were 3 blocks in all, numbers 55, 53 and 51.

I worked at Mrs. Cutts, the grocer down the bottom of Ash Road, not too far from the junction with Adderley Rd.
I lived at 44 and my mum used to send me down to Cutt's to get a quarter pound of ham or cornbeef. On my birthday Mrs. Cutts used to give me a 'Lucky Bag'.

Fashionz

You must remember Mrs. Cutts and her shop very well. She was a little lady with glasses. She used to keep all the money from the shop and every six months or so she used to dress up in her finest and get a taxi to go to the bank.

Back