• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bombay Mix

Lumpammer

master brummie
During the 80's, I used to work at East Birmingham Hospital and regularly at their social club, where they sold packets of bombay mix, a bar snack sold from a card.
Does anyone remember these, and are they still being sold?

Over here in Crete our local British Food Shop sells largish packets of Bombax Mix, London Mix, etc., and the Greek supermarkets sell it lose, just scoop if out of a large jar and get it weighed. You should still be able to buy it in Brum as I think our BFS deal with Bookers or one of the other large food wholesalers. I can't vouch for the quality as I don't eat the stuff.

Maurice

Over here in Crete our local British Food Shop sells largish packets of Bombax Mix, London Mix, etc., and the Greek supermarkets sell it lose, just scoop if out of a large jar and get it weighed. You should still be able to buy it in Brum as I think our BFS deal with Bookers or one of the other large food wholesalers. I can't vouch for the quality as I don't eat the stuff.

Maurice
I have tried the supermarket stuff and it isn't the same, all tastes boring. The packs I mean are only about 30g. They are hot and spicy and go down well with a pint or two.

Lumpammer,

It sounds like you need to contact these people, who say that theirs is the best!

https://blog.naturallygoodfood.co.uk/2013/04/24/why-is-bombay-mix-so-tasty/

Or you could try one of your local Asian food supermarkets......

Maurice
Thanks Maurice. I have looked at your link and I will place a small order to try them out.
The Asian and English supermarkets I have looked in only sell the large packets - 500g - which is a bit much for a snack. Pubs and clubs used to sell them off a card, the packs being the size of a bag of peanuts. Perhaps I should go back to peanuts!

yes i remember the small packets on cards sold in pubs but have to say i have never tried them..i like me peanut too much:D

lyn

yes i remember the small packets on cards sold in pubs but have to say i have never tried them..i like me peanut too much:D

lyn
In those days you could only get salted or dry roasted. Now there's a whole range to choose from. It's a bit like boiled ham. Back then you could get a quarter of boiled ham. Today there are so many different types it is mind boggling. Think I'll stick to good old corned beef.

love corned beef as well but i agree that back in the day there was less choice for most things

Lumphammer, Amazon has a huge range of Bombay mix, some in 100g or 200g packs. I thought one or two were really expensive but it's worth a browse.

I had a stall in Durham market selling herbs & spices, dried fruit, nuts etc. Bombay mix & Spicy noodles were a good seller, but oh so bad for the waistline..over 500kcals per 100g. I`m afraid i ate most of the profits. Trouble was, once you start munching on these spicy goodies you can`t stop!!

I`ve heard Cristiano Ronaldo is buying a house in Birmingham. He says he wants to get away from football.

How I wish I could get away from football , but it is all around us all the time. They have long boring programs on it on TV and then take up half the news with it immediately after

Mike,

My solution is not to watch TV, which I haven't done for over twelve years, not that I ever did watch a lot in the UK ever. We had satellite, etc, put in at significant cost for when the grandchildren came over first, some years ago. They looked at it for two minutes and went back to their iPads and handheld games. The TV hasn't been turned on since.

Perhaps it helps that I am deaf and can't hear the audio anyway! I have expensive AKG headphones for when I occasionally want to listen to music, but I can get most of what I want from the internet anyway. With TV, I would miss the ability to respond. As for reality TV and all those talentless talent programmes, leave me out. Another grumpy old man! :)

And just to get it back on topic, I don't care for Bombay Mix either!

Maurice

I am not a great fan either, to quote Jasper Carrot " Bombay mix is like the contents of an Indian restaurant's Hoover bag"
Bob

I'm not that keen but as with everything else, once started on it - can't stop. Peanuts are the worst - ever noticed how if someone offers you a bag of nuts you always cup your hand rather than reaching in and taking a few?
Good news - spotted Bombay Mix (albeit Tesco's own) at their Witton store at 99p for 200g. That sounds quite good.

Lady P,

If you bought a beer here you used to get a dish of peanuts on the house. Over the last year they've discovered that biscuity type things like Bombay Mix are much cheaper to provide, so we've gradually gone from 100% peanuts to about 5% peanuts and the rest biscuity stuff and the equally cheap chick peas. Last week at our usual Thursday coffee morning place, it was down to 0% peanuts. When my friend queried it, the owner said that peanuts had simply got too expensive. All about money!

Maurice

Aah Maurice, but remember chickpeas are much more healthy than fatty peanuts, or starchy "biscuitty things".

Agreed. Mike, and we sometimes get them as a starter at our local village taverna. I quite like the taste of peanuts, but don't generally bother because they get under my dental plate. But one thing I can't stand is peanut butter. But each to their own!

Maurice

Back