• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bomb damage photos of WW2

I was born at 222 heather road, small heath in 1939 and was bombed out in 1940(same raid as the BSA). The land mine which demolished the houses on the corner of heather road and somerville road killed two residents, damaged our house and trapped our family in the anderson shelter under tons of debris. Therefore, I was interested to see the pictures of the bomb damage in the next road (St Oswalds) which brought everything to mind. If anyone has a picture of bomb damage in heather road I would very much like to see it. Thanks for a great site I open it most days, aggie

Interestingly however, BOTH Vincent Streets (in Ladywood-post 51-AND Balsall Heath) have a "Tindal Street" of one kind or another in their immediate vicinity.

Richie

There again the Tindal Street in Ladywood was Great Tindal Street whilst the other in Balsall Heath was plain old Tindal Street (where I went to school for about 12 months).

I was born at 222 heather road, small heath in 1939 and was bombed out in 1940(same raid as the BSA). The land mine which demolished the houses on the corner of heather road and somerville road killed two residents, damaged our house and trapped our family in the anderson shelter under tons of debris. Therefore, I was interested to see the pictures of the bomb damage in the next road (St Oswalds) which brought everything to mind. If anyone has a picture of bomb damage in heather road I would very much like to see it. Thanks for a great site I open it most days, aggie

Hi aggie try this link search for small heath https://www.swanshurst.org/barra/results.asp Michael.

Hi mhemery. Thanks for getting back to me. No record shown for the swanhurst link, but it definitely took place. aggie

Hi mhemery. Thanks for getting back to me. No record shown for the swanhurst link, but it definitely took place. aggie

Hi Aggie This is what I was trying to show you, but the link wouldn,t work,210 and 212 Heather road small heath.jpg it shows four people were killed just doors from where you lived.Michael.

The power of the internet continues to amaze me. So there were 4 people killed and not 2 as I thought. My father also told me that they were all killed in andersons shelters in the garden as kids we used to play in the crater and the bombed houses. Thanks for all the feed back but I would still like to see a picture. aggie

Back