• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bomb damage in unidentified streets

That was where I was looking Viv. A rounded corner but that dark wall looks old as if it has been there for very many years. I have looked at a 1946 aerial view of that corner and there is a railway line there which isn't there now. I think the dark wall was part of a bridge.
Phil.

THere are other possible sites along St Clements Road. Wonder if we can pinpoint the exact address - no number given on the advert. But there are a few other distinct ‘curved’ positions along the road. Viv.

Viv

I think you will find that particular corner of St Clements Road was part of the bridge over the railway track that Crossed under Nechells Park Road, and in fact a siding down to Saltley Gas works ran under that corner at one time.

The location you are looking for is the corner of Edgbaston Street and Gloucester Street.

18 Clark E. H. & Co. Ltd. who. smallware dlrs
9 Hollings Clifford, dining rooms

Thanks Phil. Perhaps the 'smallware' was what interested the young lads and others poking around in the building even before the fireman and other workers had finished with it as seen below.
Insideclarks.jpg

The actual building which fronted the Rag Market must have been rebuilt, as this photo dated 1959 shows. At first I thought there must be a mistake in the dating, but looking at the cars they match that date approximately and are definitely not pre war.

City Edgbaston Street 1959.jpg

The actual building which fronted the Rag Market must have been rebuilt, as this photo dated 1959 shows. At first I thought there must be a mistake in the dating, but looking at the cars they match that date approximately and are definitely not pre war.

View attachment 133109
In the 60s. and probably before, there used to be a Hollings Cafe in Jamaica Row next door to Turners seed merchants. This was a row of shops opposite the wholesale market and adjacent to the Rag market.
After a little more thought the cafe's name could have been Daniels. Sorry.

View attachment 133109
I notice Hollings Café is still there.

Clarks Warehouse as can be seen in this aerial pic dated 1948.
Warehouse1948.jpg

The building can be seen (top left) in this 1968 view up Gloucester St.
GloucesterSt1968.jpg

But it's gone now ...
Image4.jpg

The 'Clarks' building was a substantially built fairly modern building. at the time of bombing, so it was probably better to renovate than rebuild. Given the shortages of construction materials after WW2 I guess that was the best idea at the time.

Following Morturn's lead ....

My maternal grandparents lived in Broomhill Rd near Dovedale Rd in houses similar to those shown in the photo. I remember the single large front bedrooms, but I can't recall any bomb damage in that area. Most of the old houses have since been demolished and replaced with modern housing. The demolitions were probably due structural trouble with the system built housing.

So moving to Pype Hayes ....

Typical housing in that area built in the 1920s. Note the large bay windows and the single bedroom windows as in Viv's image 15.
View attachment 98600

The aerial view below dated 1926 shows Paget Rd (2) and note the terrace block (1). I can just make out the bay windows. It looks as if the housing is newly built and Paget Rd is curved as in Viv's image 15.
View attachment 98601

This area-view below dated 1945 from Google shows Paget Rd (2) with Tyburn Rd (3) on the right. Where the terrace block (1) was in the 1926 image now appears to be a space - maybe a bombsite! The apparent diagonal stripes across Paget Rd are shadows from the house chimneys and there are no shadows where the terrace block (1) was.
View attachment 98602

Some time in the 1990s I drove through that area and remember seeing houses being demolished possibly because of structural problems. A Google Earth 1999 view shows the sites cleared and later GE views show there are modern houses in situ.

All speculation ... but maybe there are records of bombing which may, or may not confirm the above theories ... :)

Since noticed some mention of Paget Road and bombing in a forum thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/paget-rd-pype-hayes.11690/page-2#post-195208
and a link to the Barra website which mentions someone being injured by bombing in Paget Road.
https://database.birminghamairraids.co.uk/
Thank you for the link to birmingham air raids website. I found information on my grandmother's sister who was killed in an air raid 11th December 1940 along with information on the impact the raids had at that time.

It looks like the easy viewing of the Shoothill (damsdeepzoom.shoothill.com) is now not possible since their move to https. They are now using the Microsoft Azure Web App and have not yet configured it. Maybe they never will.
It was certainly useful in this thread ...

It looks like the easy viewing of the Shoothill (damsdeepzoom.shoothill.com) is now not possible since their move to https. They are now using the Microsoft Azure Web App and have not yet configured it. Maybe they never will.
It was certainly useful in this thread ...
Only just discovered that "Shoothill" site has dissappeared.

Although Shoothill (a software development company) had the search system the Library of Birmingham appear to have the images ....
Image1.jpg

If Shoothill was allowed , as a private company, to copy the images, I would have thought that there would have been a contract. I would hope that that did not include the permission to privately sell the images at exorbitant prices to the profit of the company after a given period

Back