• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bomb damage in unidentified streets

It might be FP for 'Fire Point'. In those days they often rebuilt bomb-damaged houses in the same style. The screens covering the windows seem strange. Looking at the area on GE, that Victorian type house in the background does not seem to fit the locations. We probably need a 1930s map to check the house and road layouts.

Thanks folks :), wondering if it may help with the location, was there a map of the Fire Point etc?

The only way I can get the slate roof house in the view is to look towards Highfield Rd in the direction of the arrow I have marked on a 1938 map. Looking on GE at another Haycroft Ave house in line with the arrow, the house front is the same, it is semi-detatched, but the roof may have been rebuilt differently. It is behind the red car on Streetview here ... https://goo.gl/maps/LPajorvCbFM2
Map
1938Map.jpg

I wonder if you are looking at the wrong part of the cul de sac for your comparison. i.e. the damaged houses are at 10 to 12 on the clock and the new ones at 12 to 2 so the detached house Is actually opposite the left hand damaged one.

If it IS Maycroft Avenue (which, like you, I'm beginning to doubt - r.h. house now detached, problem of view through to rear, distance between otherwise identical houses....unless of course it was a total, ground-up rebuild), then the distance away of the building through the gap is a problem. I feel that the Victorian/Edwardian building would have had to be as close as Glen Park Road is/was, to the north-east. (What was the strange, long building in that road - industrial?) Or as close as those school buildings to the south-west.

Blinds/screens. Don't look internal, most of them. If they had been, then blackout screens, obviously. If external, why? Weatherproofing following windows having been blown out previously? Or some sort of more permanent black-out effort? Not a lived-in house? ARP base?

Interesting mystery. Perhaps it's a question, even pre-Facebook, of someone having a guess at location, publishing it and then it becomes FACT for ever more!!

Chris

I think it is the house in the view below and when it was repaired they did not follow the original style roof. In 1940 the slate roof house would be visible behind it. It looks like Shoothill made a small mistake with the avenue name putting 'Highcroft' instead of 'Haycroft' ... understandable when they have hundreds of images on their site.

Some background information.
Barra (http://barra.historynut.co.uk/) reports that James Searle of Haycroft Avenue was injured during a raid on 4th December 1940. Police records remarked 'A noticeable feature was the exceptional amount of damage caused by the blast from high explosive bombs'. The bombers probably came in from the south east intending to bomb gas works and factories in Saltley and Witton but dropped them early over residential Alum Rock.
Imagehouse.jpg

Last edited:
The Luftwaffe bombers seemed to inflict lots of serious damage on that part of Alum Rock with houses in nearby Harts Rd and Tarry Rd destroyed by high explosives.
Harts Rd
HartsRoadbomb.jpg

Tarry Rd
TarryRoad.jpg
Slightly off topic because these bomb damage pics are identified ...:)
shoothill

Last edited:
Still a bit worried about the narrowness of the gap between the houses with the new interpretation, OldMohawk!! The original idea (pre-extension) looks more like it in that regard.....

Chris

Hi Chris,
The house with the extension is in Mossvale Grove marked in the view below. I have also marked the house I now think it is in Haycroft Ave. I have lifted houses (plan view) from the 1938 map and superimposed them in position in the view below. Presumably they were demolished to make way for the school. I think it was these old houses with slate roofs which are visible through the gap in the bombing photo.
Alum.jpg
oldmohawk

Not sure this helps but on this 1949 map I have marked the house No. 33 where James Searle (as per #148) was injured. The large gap by the detached house seems to be a path leading to Glenpark road. The houses must have been new in the 1940 raids as they do not appear on the 1938 map although the road is named.
1550438579000.png

Bomb damaged Clarks Warehouse and on the left Hollings Café, but where was the location?
clarkswarhouse.jpg

Last edited:
Would it be Clark’s Cables, Nechells ? Corner of Nechells Park Road ? Viv.

Attachments

• 2CD09C76-DD27-442C-B98D-2B1567487337.jpeg
    2CD09C76-DD27-442C-B98D-2B1567487337.jpeg
    401.7 KB · Views: 9
In the 1940 Kellys there is a Clifford Hollings, dining rooms at 69 Edgbaston st and a Elsei hollings dining rooms at 8½Bordesley St, and a Hilda Hollings, dining rooms at 40 Park road aston. but none of these would seem to fit the photo

Clarks Cables seems a possible business for the warehouse although I would have expected to see the name 'Clarks Cables Warehouse' on the building. I'm looking at old maps of St Clements Road but there do not seem to be any buildings where it joins Nechells Park Road.

This is the position I was referring to Phil. Not sure, but the buildings seem to be set back. Viv.

Attachments

• 2978E960-4BE0-408B-B8AD-CA1B1405D47D.jpeg
    2978E960-4BE0-408B-B8AD-CA1B1405D47D.jpeg
    501.9 KB · Views: 13
Back