• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

bomb damage ilsley road erdington

Nefertiti

hi everyone,proberly the wrong place on the site to look but does anyone know of any bombing during ww2 in ilsley road erdington or how close any bombs landed,been lookik at bomb maps but that road is just out of the picture

hi everyone,proberly the wrong place on the site to look but does anyone know of any bombing during ww2 in ilsley road erdington or how close any bombs landed,been lookik at bomb maps but that road is just out of the picture
Erdington was certainly bombed in WW2 see threads in link below
but houses in Ilsley Road seem intact in this low res aerial view dated 1945.
Erdington1945.jpg

Just for interest below is an aerial view dated 1926. Note washing hanging on lines in back gardens. In those days everyone did their washing on the same day!
IlsleyRd_1926.jpg
this image source 'britainfromabove' website

Last edited:
hi phil...can you get onto the online BARRA data base ..i can get onto the site but when i click on data base to check out illsley road its saying this site cant not be reached...

lyn

hi phil...can you get onto the online BARRA data base ..i can get onto the site but when i click on data base to check out illsley road its saying this site cant not be reached...

lyn
Hello Lyn, yes I discovered that the site is visible but the online database is offline. I suppose it takes up server space which has run out. Perhaps the Birmingham Library should host the database.
Phil

thankyou for the wonderful input,very sad times,my mom lived at 32 ilsley road her name was margaret rose mason,im trying to get a real feel of what she must have been going through

thanks phil and john...thats a bit of a bother as it came in very useful...now we have no way of checking out injuries and deaths during the bombings and most importantly exactly which roads and streets they occured in...i guess it could be just a temporary thing...i am going to email them..if i get a reply will post here

lyn

thankyou for the wonderful input,very sad times,my mom lived at 32 ilsley road her name was margaret rose mason,im trying to get a real feel of what she must have been going through
Yes they were trying times the link below would lead you to the air raid shelters thread and some memories ...

Last edited:
Back