• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

‘Bomb’ Collection Box Bull Ring

Hi Froth, a year or two ago, learned discussion on the forum seemed to agree that she was patting the top of the bus. If not, she knew how to exactly position her hand for the camera and also her hand seems to be in front of a roof ventilator. I'm voting for a pat !
oldmohawk ...:D

In the old Market there was a sea mine just inside the entrance and the bomb was halfway up the left hand side. It had a plate on the top for coins.
Was the mine near the jellied eel stall, seem to remember waiting for my Mother by the mine watching people eating jellied eels, yuk.

I'm intrigued by the two ladies leaning out of a window above the bus. I don't think they are but they look like they're touching the roof of the bus?
Surely if she was touching the bus she would have been leaning all the way across the pavement? How far would that have been?

Surely if she was touching the bus she would have been leaning all the way across the pavement? How far would that have been?
I've been looking for a pic of the pavement which was narrow there and the upper part of the building jutted out slightly and nearest I've got is the post below but there may be others ... it's debatable but the women seem to be doing it deliberately ... the bomb collection box would have been on the right in this pic.
A slightly murky view of Stevens Bar from High Street on the day after that area was bombed. The bombed buildings on the right would be demolished to become the well known 'Big Top' site. The Fred Burns shop on the left of Stevens Bar looks much as it does in later photos and was repaired.
(only visible if logged in)
index.php

Looks like she is touching the bus? maybe there is a big camber on the road? lol

Attachments

• bus.jpg
    bus.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 29
Someone has asked me (and now I am also intrigued) if I know the whereabouts of a 'bomb' that dropped on Summer Lane during WW2 and was later hollowed out and turned into a charity collection box which was kept in the Bullring. I have a vague memory of seeing it when I was a kid, or maybe I just remember seeing something about it somewhere. I have already contacted the museum and they have no knowledge of it and it isn't in their collections.
Anyone else recall it, or maybe even know what became of it?
Ta,
Donna
Hello
I remember the bomb, it stood in the market in the bull ring near the pet shop and I remember my dad telling me that after putting in coin I would have to run because it would go off.

Someone has asked me (and now I am also intrigued) if I know the whereabouts of a 'bomb' that dropped on Summer Lane during WW2 and was later hollowed out and turned into a charity collection box which was kept in the Bullring. I have a vague memory of seeing it when I was a kid, or maybe I just remember seeing something about it somewhere. I have already contacted the museum and they have no knowledge of it and it isn't in their collections.
Ta,
Donna
Ta,
Donna
Hi just joined the forum , been looking for photos and info for awhile. do remember the bomb, sadly I think it may have gone the same way as the rest of the city as we new it.

I remember a bomb just after the war for collecting money outside the Old market Hall, I remember putting a coin in (where the money went I have no idea) this would be between leaving school and joining the RAF, which would make it 1944 to 1948. Eric

Was the mine near the jellied eel stall, seem to remember waiting for my Mother by the mine watching people eating jellied eels, yuk.

Only just noticed this thread , yes you are right nickcc101 it was by the side of the jellied eel store , red in colour 3'1/2 to four feet long . Me and a friend used to go to the jellied eel store , just to see them served up in glass dishes more suited to grapefruit than eels , never ate them myself didn't like the look of them

There is another thread on this form somewhere where I posted an image of one of these defused bombs that were used for the Lord Mayors Collection Appeal.

The pic of it is in thread below but for some reason the thread is locked.
and here is the pic.
bullring bomb.jpg

Remember it well.
I remember a bomb donation box which used to on the pavement by what used to be called the BIG Top Site, it was opposite Worcester Street which used to be back entrance to the Market Hall, It was much bigger than the one in the photo and was paint red the donation entry had a polished brass plate on top.
It remained on this spot for years across the road used to be a café.
Strangely in the late 60's a similar one used to be in the entrance hall to Nechells "B" power station whether it was the same one I've no idea or what happened to it.

The larger red ones were usually mines that were used in sea warfare. They were for seaman's charities and the RNLI.
1556139505951.png1556139579041.png

The larger red ones were usually mines that were used in sea warfare. They were for seaman's charities and the RNLI.
View attachment 133442View attachment 133443
No the ones I remember wasn’t mines, they were bombs
I saw the bomb squad removing a bomb which had been dropped on the Lichfield Rd during the war.
Where I lived in Sandy Lane Aston my gran lived next door she had a very large metal case with 4 compartments which had been dropped from a German plane some kind of ammunition storage lucky it was empty

Back