• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bolton Road, Sparkbrook

BLUENOSE5709

Hi,

I am trying to trace my ancestors. William Joseph King (Died bat 1946) and wife Elizabeth. I know that they lived on Bolton Road, Sparkbrook (I would have called it Small Heath) if anyone could help that would be great.

if anyone has old Street maps / Photos of Bolton road and its associated Terraces, that would be awesome.

thank you

Arran

Arran
According to the online electoral rolls (not all are online), they were at 8 Stratford Terrace, Bolton road from sometime between 1925 and 1927 till 1939. There were no electoral rolls compiled during the war, but the terrace did not seem to be there in 1945.
Below is a map of the eaast end of Bolton Road, ahowing Stratford Terrace in red, with probable no 8 in black in the terrace

map_c_1913_showing_Stratford_Terrace2C_Bolton_road_with_probable_no_8_startford_terrace.jpg

Arran
According to the online electoral rolls (not all are online), they were at 8 Stratford Terrace, Bolton road from sometime between 1925 and 1927 till 1939. There were no electoral rolls compiled during the war, but the terrace did not seem to be there in 1945.
Below is a map of the eaast end of Bolton Road, ahowing Stratford Terrace in red, with probable no 8 in black in the terrace

map_c_1913_showing_Stratford_Terrace2C_Bolton_road_with_probable_no_8_startford_terrace.jpg

Mike,

This is excellent, thank you.

I did find one entry for 1939 in Ancestry, but not the others you managed to find? How did you find this? What are your top tips? I am on Ancestry and do have access to all UK files so any pointers will be hugely appreciated.

The map really is superb.

Arran

I don't use Ancestry, but use https://www.midlandshistoricaldata.org/. I gather from others that the search engine on ancestry is not as good, but cannot speak from experience . mind you the search on the site I use does not always pickup everything (because the search is by OCR of the original pages) . Just to be sure, if I have found an address in one year for a person(s) then I always search for occupants of that address in years around the one I've found just in case its missed them in other years. I'm not sure if you can do that on Ancestry though

Hope Bluenose doesn't mind me me butting in on his post, but I have an address for our relatives living at 4 back of 9 Bolton Rd, would that be on this map Mike?

Nick

I may be wrong, but I think that number 9 was the other end.

My Family lived at 344 and that was close to the terraces shown here.

Arran

Other end on the opposite side. attached is map with no 9 in red and what I think would have been 4 back 9 in blue

map_c_1913__bolton_road_showing_no_9_and_estimated_4_back_9~0.jpg

Nick
Sorry , i must have been half asleep.I putnin the wrong houses. Have corrected them on original post now. Don't know what I was doing

Arran

what are these nos 400,400.8 etc on the road sorry if stupid question i used to be somewhere here house no 491 and if possible some history before the 60s who lived ther etc.thanks in advance

bhatti

I can't say with any certainty but I would hazard a guess at survey heights (above sea level possibly).

Have just checked with Richard Oliver's book, and it is the surface level. Apparently before 1921 this level is in comparison to a sea level determined in Liverpool in 1844, but after 1921 the survey slowly changed to a comparison with the more accurately determined sea level at Newlyn , in Cornwall. This map is c 1913

Hello all and sorry to jump on an old thread but wondering if anyone might know where 325 Bolton Road was. Which end of the road it might have been? It may have possibly been a cafe or chip shop. My Grandparents were living here in 1939. Just found them on the '39 Register. Many thanks!

You can see it is by the corner with Oakley Road. The 1940 Kellys (which would apply to 1939) lists it as Horace A.D.Watkiss, dining rooms

map c1950 showing 325 Bolton Road.jpg

Thank you so much Mike! That's so kind of you. Really appreciate it. Horace A.B. Watkiss was my Grandfather so that is spot on.

Hello, I think I was born in Bolton Rd. Does anyone recall the REES family? Tom, Millie, Gillian, Susan? The other family name was Ash, Caroline, Linda, Ted & Mary. I think they had a shop their at some point I recall my Nan telling me about faggotts & peas she used to make to sell in the shop. If this rings any bells it would be good to hear from you. I’d also love to see a picture of Bolton Rd from the 60’s, so if you can direct me to one , that would be great. Many thanks Donna .
Have moved this post onto this thread

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all and sorry to jump on an old thread but wondering if anyone might know where 325 Bolton Road was. Which end of the road it might have been? It may have possibly been a cafe or chip shop. My Grandparents were living here in 1939. Just found them on the '39 Register. Many thanks!
Hi Roswold, I remember the fish and chip shop well, in 1965 I used to peel the potatoes. it was on the corner, opposite Johny Prescotts betting shop, and Oakley road school, a small garage car repairs was also opposite, the road led to the Railway club.
A newspaper shop was on the opposite corner where I had a paper round.

Hi Roswold, I remember the fish and chip shop well, in 1965 I used to peel the potatoes. it was on the corner, opposite Johny Prescotts betting shop, and Oakley road school, a small garage car repairs was also opposite, the road led to the Railway club.
A newspaper shop was on the opposite corner where I had a paper round.
Wow that's amazing! I wonder if my Gran still ran it then. Her name was Irene Watkiss, she may have sold it by that time. Thanks for your reply!

Back