• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bolton Road, Small Heath

Agrotis

Hi all,

Im trying to establish what was on the site of Bolton Road-Keat's Avenue, before the "new Housing".

Could anybody help, please?

Agrotis

Hi Agrotis

In the 1970s where Keats Avenue joins Cooksey Road there was a terrace called Cooksey Avenue, it was about 100 yards long and both ends joined Cooksey Road

Hi Agrotis

In the 1970s where Keats Avenue joins Cooksey Road there was a terrace called Cooksey Avenue, it was about 100 yards long and both ends joined Cooksey Road

I have my fathers Army record, and the address 32 Cooksey Avenue is where his Silver War Badge was sent to in 1918.
nice to see a picture of the area.
Nick

Thank you Dakers, I have just come across the picture of the terraces in Bolton Road before the redevelopment. I have been looking for a picture of Bolton road for ages. I lived there with my family in the late 50s. My goodness that takes me back.

Does anyone know the name of the SCRAP YARD in 1973 at the end of Bolton Road on the corner of Coventry Road Small Heath Birmingham - or perhaps the name of the person who had it/or owned it then?

Last edited:
Surely Bolton road did not connect with Coventry Road. It went from Bordesley Park Road to golden Hillock road. In the 1973 Kellys there seems to be a "metal merchants" called Sheldon Metals at/close to the junction of bordesley park road and bolton road

In the 1940's, a school friend, Roy Burrows, lived in Bolton Road, and he lost his young brother when a wall in Bolton Road collapsed and fell on him. It made the local news, and it was tragic. Bolton Road ran from Herbert Road to Golden Hillock Road, at the crossroads with Byron Road. At the junction with Bordesley Park Road, Bolton Road made a slight right hand turn and continued to Herbert Road.

Hello. Thank you for your replies about Bolton Road - I got the road wrong - I forget it joined Herbert Road, which lead onto the Coventry Road by the Bus Depot near Cattell Road & Greenway Street.
Does anyone know the name/owner of the scrap yard on the corner of Herbert Road at Coventry Road during the early 70's - Thanks....

Small Heath Bolton Rd.jpg

This is a picture of Bolton Road in the late 50s early 60s, we lived up the terrace just to the left of the grocers owned by the Burgess family.

Does anyone know the name of the SCRAP YARD in 1973 at the end of Bolton Road on the corner of Coventry Road Small Heath Birmingham - or perhaps the name of the person who had it/or owned it then?

I remember the scrap yard. It was between the Horse and Jockey on the corner of Miles Street and the railway bridge with the old green Victorian urinal underneath. It was on the right hand side of Bordesley Park Road going up toward Bolton Road from the Cov. It's name? We just called it the scrap yard! Somewhere on this site, I think there may be a photo of the Horse and Jockey...It could be under Small Heath, if so it may catch a glimpse of the scrap yard.

Thanks for your help, the scrappy itself was on Herbert Road just round the corner from the bus depot. I checked the google map & there's a unit, looks like it's behind a wall/fence & there's also a car park there - where the scrappy used to be.

I recall a tram running along Bolton Road and think it went as far as the labour exchange in Waverley Road and may even have turned left there and proceeded to the Coventry Road. I do recall an illuminated tram being driven along Bolton Road just prior to Christmas. This was probably in 1948. The following year we went down to the Coventry Road to see the Christmas bus, still a trolley bus in those days.

Just wondering what number in Bolton Road this is... We lived at 15 Warwick Terrace (15/438) & my Gran lived at 14 Stratford Terrace (14/436) - our family lived there for over 40 years. The grocery shop at the bottom left hand side of the terrace on Bolton Road was owned by Mr & Mrs Baker, their daughter Maureen and on the right hand side was the wholesale shop owned by Mr & Mrs Hipkiss. I lived there myself from 1945 to 1966 when I got married. My Mom lived there till 1971. Our name is Henderson... Does any of this ring a bell with you please. From what I can see, Warwick Terrace & Stratford Terrace is now Keats Place - would that be right I wonder...

Hello. I am new to this. I lived at No 20 Miles street Bordesley and went to school at Oakley Road sec modern. I cant fine any pictures of Miles street and on the internet it dose not exist any more. Anyone have a photo please? Peter.

Hello Peter, I also went to Oakley Road school, when were you there.
During the fifties until 1961. I walked twice a day to and fro to school and I am still walking. I see on the multi map that Miles street is gone. I remember many buses taking the short cut from Coventry road under the railway and canal bridge at the top of Miles street getting stuck underneath.

Hi Peter

A couple more buildings from Miles St, the Plume of Feathers and the Gaylords Club.

Attachments

• Small Heath Plume of Feathers Miles St.JPG
    Small Heath Plume of Feathers Miles St.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Small Heath Miles St The Gaylord Club.jpg
    Small Heath Miles St The Gaylord Club.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 72
Hi Peter

A couple more buildings from Miles St, the Plume of Feathers and the Gaylords Club.
Thanks for these photos. i lived at No 20 Miles street. As time and distance where made by man(the thinker) therefore there is no such thing as time. It is all relevant for each individual. All the best. Peter.

I Left in 1961 when I was 15 before that I was at Christ Church Primary. Camp Hill Primary. I have kept in touch with Peter Winnall who lived next door but I lived all over the UK and Ireland but have settled in the west of Ireland. Wet Windy at tall at tall at tall as the Americans say.

Was the 'Gaylords Club' owned by Bunny Johnson the boxer?

I'm not sure who owned The Gaylords, it could have been Bunny Johnson. I remember the clientele were mostly West Indian. I'm almost certain that Bunny Johnson owned the Golden Gloves on Moseley Rd ' Stratford Place that was before he sold out to Brendan Joyce. Not a hundred per-cent sure on this though.

It was Brendan whom bought the old church and named it the golden gloves then eventual sold it and took on the Gary Owen,
But firstly he bought the old picture house in Saltley and named it the Jig saw then bought the old church namely the golden gloves
Then the Garry Owen,

Last edited:
Pat when I lived in Sheldon at the bottom of my garden was a drive and opposite lived Albert Williams scrap metal dealer of Herbert rd Smallheath would that ring a bell with anybody, I might have the wrong person but I am sure it was him.

Dave

We lived in Matlock Terrace (11/334) Bolton road, we had a shop at the bottom of our terrace that was owned by Mr Burgess. We lived there until the early 70s my parents used to drink in The Railway and the Deritend.

Back