• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bogus Warnings

Ray T

master brummie
Hello, all,

On putting up Explorer just now and loading the MSN news page, I saw it suddenly go blank and a couple of boxes appeared onscreen. Supposedly from Microsoft Security, they informed me that my computer had been corrupted and would cease to function unless I followed instructions given. Don't click to do this. These things are just designed to get control of your computer. Ransomware, maybe. They won't be deleted normally. If you see them you should press Ctrl+Alt+Del to get the Task Manager, then click on the Explorer box and stop function. Do not "restore session" if asked, just start a new one.

Something else I've had is a message supposedly from McAfee to renew my antivirus protection but it hasn't expired yet. They want me to go to a payments page and pay online, but if I did that I'd just be giving money to a scammer. Stay safe!

Regards, Ray T.

Ray, I get that McFee scam quite regularly which is a laugh because I do not pay for my McFee, it is a part of my BT package. Eric

If you see them you should press Ctrl+Alt+Del to get the Task Manager, then click on the Explorer box and stop function. Do not "restore session" if asked, just start a new one.

Surely you mean iexplorer.exe (not explorer.exe). Note the letter "i" in front.

iexplorer is Internet Explorer so you select stop to shut Internet Explorer down.

If you are using another browser it wont be iexplorer.exe but chrome.exe (if using Chrome) and so on.

Of course the Internet Explorer browser has got such a bad reputation (and is no longer being updated by Microsoft) that people should have stopped using it a long time ago.

Far better to use Chrome, Firefox etc or Edge on Windows 10 and leave Internet Explorer well alone.

Web page here on why you should stop using it

https://www.ezcomputersolutions.com/blog/stop-using-internet-explorer/

I think the main point made by Ray T was about not responding to a pop ups from so called 'Microsoft Security' and not clicking on any screen 'buttons' and pointing out the use of the good old three finger move 'Ctrl+Alt+Del' to stop running processes such as Internet Explorer etc. Scammers sometimes disable the normal stop buttons.

I think most of us guessed he was referring to IE.

Microsoft do support Internet Explorer 11 and obviously everyone using IE should ensure that they are using the latest version IE11 and not earlier versions.

I don't use IE 11 myself and my main browser is Chrome. I have Windows 10 so Edge is obviously available but does not yet have stability and performance which satisfies me. I recently thought it was improving but yesterday it scrambled all my bookmarks (favourites) and I have seen reports of others complaining about the same thing.

Last edited:
Back