• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Boer War

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
A while ago I helped a friend with a search for his family,his mother was born in Durban 1906.his parents stayed on after Boer war.

I found that his parents went to S.Africa as medics.
Thomas Blake as part of the armed forces medical corps and
Henrietta Perkins as a nurse.

Unfortunately I have lost all the info that I gathered.

Henrietta was in England in 1901 and as the Boer war ended in 1902 I am looking for a hospital ship that left England in late 1901.
I can't remember the name of it.

Can anyone recommend sites that may help?

Thanks, Alberta.

:angel: Alberta I've raided my Colin's warship files, but could only find this one :The Avoca Hospital ship leaves for South Africa [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,adobe-helvetica,Arial Narrow]30.12.1901. That was near the date you wanted.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,adobe-helvetica,Arial Narrow]Hope this helps[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,adobe-helvetica,Arial Narrow]Pom :angel:rning [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,adobe-helvetica,Arial Narrow]p5b The hospital ship Avoca left Southampton yesterday for South Africa . In addition to the hospital staff, she took 10 [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,adobe-helvetica,Arial Narrow]officers and a draft of 99 men, RAMC, and 25 officers, details and 100 colonials.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,adobe-helvetica,Arial Narrow]The AvocaLondon Times 31/12/01 (Tuesday)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,adobe-helvetica,Arial Narrow]p5b The hospital ship Avoca left Southampton yesterday morning for South Africa . In addition to the hospital staff, she took 10 [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,adobe-helvetica,Arial Narrow]officers and a draft of 99 men, RAMC, and 25 officers, details and 100 colonials.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,adobe-helvetica,Arial Narrow]London Times 31/12/01 (Tuesday)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,adobe-helvetica,Arial Narrow]p5b The hospital ship Avoca left Southampton yesterday morning for South Africa . In addition to the hospital staff, she took 10 [/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,adobe-helvetica,Arial Narrow]officers and a draft of 99 men, RAMC, and 25 officers, details and 100 colonials.[/FONT]​

Back