• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bob Moore Birmingham Photographs From 60/ 70s

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
Bob Moore was born in Birmingham in 1940 and has lived all his life in and

around the city.

Many of the photos are from the 1960s and many of the buildings and streets photographed from this time have now disappeared from the face of Birmingham, the majority seem to have been for the general benefit of the citizens of the city.

If we are not very careful however, nostalgia can be an uneasy bedfellow. It can easily influence ones memory. It is too easy to forget that, in truth, this was a time of real poverty and hardship in the inner city area.

Dedicated to all the friendly and co-operative people of Birmingham he photographed.

I have a collection of black and white photos taken by Bob during the sixties, unfortunately they

are not named locations although some have been discovered by some clever detective work.

Bob did say that they were taken in the inner city areas, mainly Balsall Heath, Highgate,Ladywood and areas in that general direction.

With a bit of luck some of the faces or places may be recognised..
faces.jpg

yes i would also say the 70s viv

jim can you post some more please as they could hold clues to the locations

lyn

A fine group of children, all with their individual reactions to the photographer. As mentioned above they are well dressed and well fed for sure. They may live in the older parts of the city but their families assuredly have found their world fitting into the 'you never had it so good' era.
Unusually most are well into middle age now and probably still alive - worth remembering I guess - whereas many photos posted here portray those no longer alive.
It is possible that a Forum Member could be in that group.

totally agree with you alan...any of those children could well be forum members and it would be great that if any are members that they step forward:)...i would give anything to find myself or any family members on old photographs...never say never though...

lyn

Its knowing which way to display them, put them all on together or give each photo its own page. if I put them on in one lot the comments tend to get mixed up but if I put them on individually then it should keep the comments together and make more sense.
open to ideas:)

I think it is best to place them in individual posts. Nice photo, I think the girl top right and the lad immediately in front of her look related and the girl on the left could be also be related to them ... similar eye shapes. The two girls at the front look to be sisters.

I like the knitwear in the pic ...:)

Maybe give each one a number Jim, then it's easy for members to reference.Viv.

thats a good idea viv....phil i also think the 2 little girls could be related...the one on the left with arms folded looks as though she is ready to take on the world with that "dont mess with me look":)

lyn

Great photo. I sense this is the 1970s from the clothing. The children look clean and well fed. Viv.
That photo (just spoke to my sister) was she insists taken in 1964 but I think she is getting mixed up with the photographer Ingmar Lindahl from Sweden who did take a few pics of us & our moms marching lol, so it must be 1968??? but I'm sure the Mckeowns had been rehoused by then anyway I can speak to one of the twins' children shortly & i'll try & get a more accurate date.

Bob Moore was born in Birmingham in 1940 and has lived all his life in and

around the city.

Many of the photos are from the 1960s and many of the buildings and streets photographed from this time have now disappeared from the face of Birmingham, the majority seem to have been for the general benefit of the citizens of the city.

If we are not very careful however, nostalgia can be an uneasy bedfellow. It can easily influence ones memory. It is too easy to forget that, in truth, this was a time of real poverty and hardship in the inner city area.

Dedicated to all the friendly and co-operative people of Birmingham he photographed.

I have a collection of black and white photos taken by Bob during the sixties, unfortunately they

are not named locations although some have been discovered by some clever detective work.

Bob did say that they were taken in the inner city areas, mainly Balsall Heath, Highgate,Ladywood and areas in that general direction.

With a bit of luck some of the faces or places may be recognised..
View attachment 126092
I know bob moore very well he was a superb photographer been to many of his lecturers, he was president of the royal photographic society for many years, the photo was published in bobs book tapestry of life which i have copy full of great pics from 1965-1975

Hi Stanhus. This section of the Forum has individual threads for many of the photos. You may be interested in our members comments on each of the photos. We certainly enjoyed seeing Bob’s photos. They generated so many memories and emotions about the 60s and 70s. Viv.

Hi Stanhus. This section of the Forum has individual threads for many of the photos. You may be interested in our members comments on each of the photos. We certainly enjoyed seeing Bob’s photos. They generated so many memories and emotions about the 60s and 70s. Viv.
Hi viv
I am interested photography as a photographer myself for many years i have many negs of Birmingham which i intend scanning and hopefully show a few

hi stan we would love to see some of your photos when time permits...its things like this that help to keep our forum going...thanks

lyn

That would certainly be very well received on here Stan. We do love to mull over images of the past. And it’s especially interesting because member’s comments often highlight additional background to a photo.

In your own time. Viv.

Back