• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Boatmen/watermen

Adelesam

knowlegable brummie
I have ancestors who worked on the canals, where could l pick up more information, their names are Askey and Bullock. Thanking you in advance.

There was a Midlands branch of the Incorporated Seamen and Boatmen Friendly Society which concerned itself with the welfare of boatmen. They had a mission hall with recreation rooms and Society members supported boatmen and visited their boats. (I think the mission Hall was near Bridge Street/Holiday Street - but no longer there). You may find there are records somewhere which may be of help. However, afraid I don’t know where these records would be held.

Viv.

Attachments

• 2312E44C-6F7D-41EC-B123-4D5F10F99902.jpeg
    2312E44C-6F7D-41EC-B123-4D5F10F99902.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 14
Thank you Viv, for your information. l will trawl through the internet when l get a bit of time

Charles Henry Bullock before 1889 as he was deceased on son's marriage certificate and Thomas Isaac Bullock. Thank you

There is a mention of a Charles Henry Bullock at the age of 21 in 1869, also a Charles Henry Bullock in 1866.

A couple of other mentions of just Bullock, and nothing for Thomas Isaac Bullock. So what was Chas Henry’s age at time of death?

hi adlesome. I have lots of boatmen in my family tree going back to the 1840s and most of them were baptised and married at either james the Less in Ashted Row or St Gabriels in Barn Street Birmingham so it may be worth a look if you can get to b.ham library. best of luck Acklam19

The Chas Henry from 1866 was an overseer at a Church so probably not a boatman. The other is up before the court in 1868 and at the age of 26. He was a boatman from Holt Street.

From the British Newspaper Archives online. You have to pay.

If the chap from Holt Street is your Chas Henry then there is a bit more info.

Back