• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

boatmen and families

Cool site and fantastic photo's, well done! If you ever find anything about the Allcott's then please let me know. I have boaties on my Mom's side of the family and if you go on Ancestry I can let you access my Family tree and read about them and the names of their boats. :)

Hi Kerry,

I think your site is great, love the photo's and it's a nice touch to feel like you are flipping through an album. Will you be naming the people in your photo's? I was thrilled to see the old boatmen family photos as I too am interested in canal boatmen and their families. So far I have found that I have at least 3 generations of boatpeople on my dads side. My names are shown on the same thread as Bluebrummie's.

Thank you so much for sharing your site with us.

Dympna

Hello Kerry,
Beautiful website, great photos.
In my 55 years as a signwriter I have painted many a narrowboat, unfortunately never thought to take pics, I was more involved in trucks and vehicles.
The last boat I did was at Saraband near Stoke Prior.
Keep working on your site it's got great promise.
I had my own website, but all the photos were lost due to a server error at their end, after seeing your site I am going to start another one with wix.
Kind regards and good luck in your searches.John Knight.

I tried to access the site last night and this morning, but just keep getting "Welcome" and" Loading". the same happens if I try and get to the wix home page. this is in both AOL and IE

:)
I tried to access the site last night and this morning, but just keep getting "Welcome" and" Loading". the same happens if I try and get to the wix home page. this is in both AOL and IE
Mike could it be firewall settings ? or browser settings? as it seems that most people can access the site and it is worth a look:)

thanks all for your replies, this website has come from many years of hard work, i have recieved a message on another forum from some peeved person who says we have copied his work, this is not true and the family members who haved helped and contributed to the site are disgusted so thanks all for looking

kmt

Hello my father was William Truman ( Bill ) he told me his Grandad was a Boatman his name was Thomas Hughes, he came into some money, and was found dead on his boat with a chain around his kneck, does anyone know anything about this, thanks Dianne Jones , nee (Truman)

Hello Caitlin i will try doing that but i'm not sure of the dates yet, i'm still trying to find more information, thanks for your help Dianne

Dianne, You can use approximate dates going backwards or forwards from father to grandfather is normally 25 years so you can work on that pattern...Cat

Thanks Cat i will try that now thanks for your help ..Dianne

It may be useful to know,for those searching boatmen familys,most of the boat people's marriages took place at Braunston,Northamptonshire,and the records are kept at the parish church there,they are not listed on the I.G.Is.

Thanks Ray, i didn't know that' i've just tried the Braunston Villages and there is a Thomas Hugh i'm wondering if that's him Dianne

this website is about my husbands families who were boatmen still got to add more yet but getting there could you let me know what you think thanks

https://www.wix.com/boatmen/miners

kmt
Hi KMT

I have been researching my boat family now for over 2 years and now feel I have enough information and lovely photos . I wonder if you would like these for your site ?

It is a story of the Smith/Payton/Daniels/Stathams and Faulkners and Longmores and Thomas Webb and the boat the president .
If you would like this I will make you up a package of the tree and certificates and photos ? I managed to take us back to the Longmore family in 1790.
MY Connection is That Sarah Smith ( Boat woman )was my Granny Her eldest sister Hannah Smith was married to Thomas Webb and her other sister Mary was a No 1 in her own Right . her Brother Thomas Henry Smith was also a No 1 . Their dad and Mum Thomas Smith boatman and Elizabeth Daniels ( Father Edwin daniels Boatman )She married into the Payton Family who were Boatmen .
Thats just a hint really . If you want the details just say .

Kind regards Jean

hi jean, sounds fascinating and would love the information you have if you look on the website their is a photo of a thomas webb, is he any relation?
we also have kendalls in the family too

look forward to hearing from you

kind regards kerry

Hi Kerry .

Thanks for the quick reply .
It is best done via E mail i think because I have Census and photos and birthd /death and Marriages certs
but yes Thomas Webb married My Nans Eldest Sister Hannah Smith and worked on the President in the 1930s They had a daughter called Mary . She also became a Boatwomen .

here is my E mail address and you can contact me so i can send you stuff . I shall get writing now .

I shall Private Message my E mail
Are you on Genes re untied . I have my tree and all the details of the boat family there .

Looking forward to hearing from you .

Last edited:
The Old picture of the smith family has my grt Grandma Elizabeth Smith/ne Daniels and her hubby thomas Smith and my gran with sisters Elizabeth and Eliza and I think the youth is Edward. By the time this was taken Uncle George had moved on to his own boat and Hannah had already married Thomas Webb .
I have a 1911 census with the family names all on the Surrey and walnut
Best wishes Jean

HI Kerry .
You sent me an E mail and no matter what I do the post service sends me back my reply . Is there a mistake in your E mail address ? I wrote you a lovely long E mail and sent loads of things too :)
Best Wishes Jean

Back