• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Boars Head Inn

The BH was originally built in 1758. This drawing of 1860 shows a much plainer architecture than the later building. The later building which replaced this was itself demolished in 1938. Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
A lovely painting by Warren Blackham, possibly about 1870? Sets the BH in a rural scene, totally unrecognisable scene today. Note the Dutch gables, so this would date after the modification of the building in post #63. Viv.

View attachment 103118

Last edited:
Here's the tineline of the older BH in pictures. Looks like the pub was 'modified' and extended between 1860 - 1898 ie not fully rebuilt. Then it was totally demolished two years after the last photo in 1938 being replaced by the existing BH 100yards away at the junction of College and Alridge Roads. Viv.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
There was an animal pound next to the BH to house stray animals until they were claimed. Would this have been through the gates to the right or the field t the left? Viv.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Went there on Tuesday for a belated Golden Wedding meal. Pete paid this time!!. Will be going back soon. It is only £7.99 during the afternoon and the food was excellent. Eat as much as you want from a choice of Italian English Indian Off the grill and Chinese. Lovely cakes and puddings for afters and the starter soup was delicious. I remember riding my uncles pony through those doors when I was about fourteen.

I think this Warren Blackham painting (late 1800s) shows the smithy opposite the old Boar's Head on Aldridge Road (small building to the right). There's a cluster of horses in front of it so it seems quite likely it was a smithy. I think there's a sign above the doors. At this time the Aldridge Road would have been narrower, so effectively I think the Smithy would today be underneath the Aldridge Road. A couple of other things I've picked up is the Boar's Head has been known by other names; Gough's Arms and Turner's Beerhouse. In 1818 Gough's Arms was run by Thomas Cooper, Farmer and Vitualler.

Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Maybe it was named after the Gough family who owned the big house in one of the Perry Barr parks!, My music teacher was Charles Gough a member of that family. Lovely photo Viv!.

There was an animal pound next to the BH to house stray animals until they were claimed. Would this have been through the gates to the right or the field t the left? Viv.
There is this photo of the 'Old Pound Perry Barr' but unfortunately no information about its location. Maybe with a detailed map and looking at the layout of the roads in the photo it might be possible to find it.

When I do some photo editing on the image the pole in the middle is a 14 bar telephone pole and there is a building behind the trees on the right which has a tall chimney ... also a sign post which I cannot read at the moment ....
Pound_PerryBarr.JPG
Image from https://www.search.birminghamimages...479&PageIndex=1&KeyWord=old pound&SortOrder=2

Last edited:
Great photo Phil. Think this is it comparing it to one of your earlier posts (#53) you can just see the signposts under the the tree in the photos. So Boar's Head is to left of photographer, Aldrdge Road off to the left ahead, College Road off to the right. I imagined the pound t be next to the pub, but this confirms it was in a field. Viv.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Hi Viv - the trees each side of the gate look the same and there is a low metal fence on the right in both photos. I think there is quite a time difference between the two photos ... so maybe both could be the same location !
Panning the map there are some buildings around the 'Perry Barr Wharf' which might be the buildings seen through the trees on the right.

Thanks Phil. I too think it looks pretty convincing. I'm beginning to think a large part of this - the old pub, the smithy and the pound would now be under the M6 raised road. And it's also occurred to me that the pound may well have been owned by the Boar's Head perhaps. In that field where we think the pound once was is where the 'new' 1930s Boars Head would have been built. It's probably some way into the field as there's a large forecourt in front of the 1930s BH. The problem with this location is the changing roads; the widening of Aldridge Road and the building of the M6 overhead. All very interesting and a little piece of history that's now hidden, but not forgotten. Viv.

A short distance from the Boar's Head along the College Rd behind the Canal Bridge is a tall chimney and on the road 14 bar telephone poles. Date c1931.
CollegeRdCanalBridge.JPG

Yes Phil. Very distinctive telegraph poles. Aldridge Road still has them on both sides of the road (albeit not as tall) and there's one alongside the 1930's Boars Head building. Viv.

According to Streetview this is where College Road and Aldridge Road meet - under the M6. College Road to the right must have been widened after the old Boars Head photos posted so far. At this point College Road now becomes a dual carriageway. There's a telegraph pole alongside the Boars Head just where the side extension to the pub ends on College Road. This may or may not tell us something !!! Viv.

image.png

Last edited:
hi viv i am sure i posted a photo of the old smithy some years back now..cant find it in my files will keep looking..

would imagine you have seen this link that OM posted on the christ church thread...its amazing and can pinpoint what was there back in the day to a side by side todays map...its very adictive and ive been all over brum this weekend lol so just in case here it is...all you do is move the arrow around on the old map and it follows around on the today map

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/sid...at=52.5177&lon=-1.9004&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Thanks Lyn, shall have a play this evening. Be nice if you can find the photo of the Smithy, all adds to our understanding. Viv.

will keep looking for it viv...enjoy the maps site..may not see you for a few days now lol

lyn

A description of the Smithy and cottage opposite the Boar's Head. From the Perrybarrbeyond site Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
viv i think i made a mistake in thinking i had a photo of that smithy..i was thinking of another one...one may turn up though

lyn

Back