• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

BMW Jewellery Quarter/Old pub.

brianthelion

master brummie
With the news that BMW are leaving the JQ (blaming the upcoming clean air charges, makes a change from Brexit!) and chatting to friends they were trying to recall old pubs on the site. Any offers anyone? Cheers

They are only just on the edge of the Jewellery quarter, so would not have far to go to leave ! I do not think I can see any pubs on the site in the Parade. Am not sure how far up Camden st the firm went, but there was the Golden cup opposite where Sloane st meets, but, as that disappeared around the time of WW1, I somehow suspect none of your friends will remember it

They are only just on the edge of the Jewellery quarter, so would not have far to go to leave ! I do not think I can see any pubs on the site in the Parade. Am not sure how far up Camden st the firm went, but there was the Golden cup opposite where Sloane st meets, but, as that disappeared around the time of WW1, I somehow suspect none of your friends will remember it
Thanks for that. I suspect they are incorrect and are thinking of the closed pubs further along like the Summer Hill Stores or something like that. BMW staff moving to other showrooms elsewhere I understand. My guess is business is not as good as once was and any excuse is merely a smokescreen to cover that!

Two photos from old threads on post above. Great stuff, however what is the building on the middle right of the bottom photo (the one high up and prominent) anyone ( Is it still there)? The pics are the corner of Newhall Hill and Parade.

update that's the building!

No. 3 Legge Lane was a pencil case factory constructed in 1893 to a design by Essex, Nicol & Goodman.

Last edited:
Is the King Edward still there? I recall going there, the best part of 50 years ago, with friends, and remember there was a very, very good young piano-player/singer who had everyone rolling in the aisles with his comic songs.

G

Is the King Edward still there? I recall going there, the best part of 50 years ago, with friends, and remember there was a very, very good young piano-player/singer who had everyone rolling in the aisles with his comic songs.

G
Nope it’s where the BMW dealership is at the moment.

Thanks for this. Shame - it was a good old boozer (like me). Now I think about it, they also used to have occasional live-music nights there.

G

Back