• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Blunn Martin - Inquest

Cassy

knowlegable brummie
Hello

I'd be grateful for advice anyone can give me on finding the newspaper report of a death and inquest in 1871.

I am researching my family tree and find that Martin Blunn (born 1813) died by drowning at Spring Pools Rubery in December 1871. I believe that Spring Pools are on the Chadwich estate close to where Martin lived in New Road, Rubery.

His death certificate shows that the Worcestershire Coroner carried out the inquest, and I was advised by the Worcestershire Coroner that the report no longer exists but that an account would have been published in the Berrow Worcester Journal. However Worcestershire Archives are unable to find either a report of the death or inquest.

It has been suggested to me that as Rubery was split between Worcestershire and Birmingham, there may have been a report in a Birmingham newspaper. I have not been able to find it on British Newspapers Archive Online. I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me how to go about arranging a search (I live in Cornwall so would need to arrange for a search to be done).

With many thanks

Attachments

• Death cert Martin Blunn.jpg
    Death cert Martin Blunn.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
Sorry Cassy, no results were found for Martin Blunn searching 1871-1872 on the British Library Newspaper Archine online. The online archine includes Berrows Worcester Journal too. I didn't specifiy any particular newspaper or region as it was a fairly rare name. I've also specifically searched Berrow's Worcester Journal for 1871-2 using the words inquests and Rubery, and only an execution for murder turned up in August 1872.

Maurice :cool:

Last edited:
Were there newspapers in Bromsgrove? That seems to be where the Registrar of Death was situated. An unusual spelling of Rhubery!

Alan,

The short answer in 1871 is no. Berrow's Worcester Journal covered the whole county, was taken over by Reed International in the 1980's, and is now a weekly freebie. The Bromsgrove Standard is relatively new to the local scene.

Sorry Cassy, no results were found for Martin Blunn searching 1871-1872 on the British Library Newspaper Archine online. The online archine includes Berrows Worcester Journal too. I didn't specifiy any particular newspaper or region as it was a fairly rare name. I've also specifically searched Berrow's Worcester Journal for 1871-2 using the words inquests and Rubery, and only an execution for murder turned up in August 1872.

Thanks so much for taking the time to look, very much appreciated :)

Cassy,

Their online archives only go back to 1995 and they are certainly not on the British Library Newspaper Online Archive. My father's family originated in Worcestershire and the only archives I have found with local content have been Berrow's.

I notice that the person reporting this was a Ralph Docker. A Ralph Docker was a brother of the well known industrialist Docker brothers - about whom there is much on here. Of couse it might be a different person. Ralph wold have been about 15 at the time and became a well known cricketer.

I wonder if this is any help?

Alan,

Almost bound to be the same family, though a year before Martin BLUNN was born. There aren't many of those early censuses about, as sketchy as they generally are on information, but they do give a glimpse of possible family members at the time.

I am moving this thread to our Surname Interest section under the letter B for Blunn.

Viv

Edit. Thread now moved.

Hi Just to say thank you to everyone for their kind help, and to let you know the report of the inquest has been found in the Bromsgrove and Droitwich Weekly Messenger (Bromsgrove Messenger) 23 December 1871.

Attachments

• Blunn M 2.jpg
    Blunn M 2.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 8
Back