• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Blundells

K

Kandor

Does anyone remember Blundells just down from the Barton Arms?
Although it was off our area we used to get a lot of clothes etc and pay so much a week.
The man used to call every Friday for a part payment.
I remember ordering two Jackets off him, the one was Brown and had 4 buttons and really thin lapels and I dont know what hapened in my choice of the other one...I chose an off white one, short and 3 buttons..I looked like Benny the ball out of Top Cat.
We could never seem to get out of his clutches, I'm sure he collected money off us for years.
I'm not sure if it was one man owned or he was just an Agent for them.

Yes

Blundells took over the woolworths store, next to the Opticians shop on the corner of Burlington Street. Our very first bed was bought there when we got married, it was a present from my mom.

Blundells used to run a club, where you could buy stuff over a period of time, a man calling at your house for the cash. :eek:

:D Mum swore by Blundells and 'The clubman'. Mum always thought that she was too 'posh' to call him a 'Tallyman, or The knockerman'. Mum bought just about everything we owned from them. She would show off our new stuff to the neighbours and pretend that only Dad's shoes came from Blundells, but I'm sure they knew better. She took my sister and me there to buy new coats when we were in our early teens. We had to pay for them ourselves out of our small wage to teach us how to respect money, it did as after she had taken her share there was very little left. We had to put our wage packet on the table unopened and she would give us what she thought we needed for that week, (any loans asked for during the last week, were payed out of 'what we needed') We always seemed to be in debt to her even though we had earned the money, Mum also thought she was too 'posh' to work herself. Still it take all sorts to make a world. :wink:

Back