• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Bluebell Wood

I remember the Bluebell woods at Chelmsley in the late 50s to early 60s, just before they were flattened to build the estate.
Sorry to put a damper on the image, but wasn't there a murdered body found there at around this time. Seem to remember it put me off visiting after that.

I played in those same woods, John, from 53/54 /55, my sister and my friends, from Hasbury Road, Bartley Green, we would all take an old stera milk bottle tied with string, a packet of Jam Sarnies and walk to the Bluebell woods, by Frankley Resa. Sometimes we would squeeze through the bars to the filter sump, and lay on the pipe and fish for frogs, newts and stickle backs. Some times we would even walk right up to Frankley Beeches, through the corn fields, we would have been no older than 5 or 6, away from 8 in the morning till 6 at night, laughing and playing the whole day, no one worried about us as there wasn't anything to worry about in those beautiful far off days of sunshine, from morning to night. A time gone forever, we had very little as kids in the early 50's, but we had a wonderful life. Paul Stacey

Oh what happy days we too had playing in the bluebell woods at chelmsley . How right you are Paul, times have changed no parents now would let kids go off so far on their own for hours on end, how lucky we were in those days to have such a carefree childhood. Wendy

There used to be a spot in Perry Hall park where there was a clump of trees with a lot of bluebells growing.
It was in the playing fields area, anyone else remember?

My memories of bluebells were not as far afield as Shropshire but in the woods alongside the River Tame near Hamstead Village. :)
I have fond memories of trekking down Hampstead Road from where I lived in Handsworth as a youngster to Bluebell Wood at the side of the dirty and smelly River Tame, to climb trees and explore but I cannot see the trees on Google Maps now. The Bluebells were great when in bloom so hence the local nickname.

I couldn't have wondered too far from the village in my young years Paul,
'cause I don't remember a bluebell wood. Just the watercress beds on the edge of Hamstead.

My blue bells are our own native species Sue, not the spanish 'invaders'.
Great pictures from Rod. :D

It does lift your heart to see the spring flowers Sylvia. I'm waiting for the Cowslips to come up on the banks of our lane. They are a real sight to see.
I have fond memories of trekking down Hampstead Road from where I lived in Handsworth as a youngster to Bluebell Wood at the side of the dirty and smelly River Tame, to climb trees and explore but I cannot see the trees on Google Maps now. The Bluebells were great when in bloom so hence the local nickname.

The blue bell woods in Bartley Green, were not in the early 50's huge, but the carpet of blue bells seemed to stretch for ever to a child. The whole of the ground in the woods, were a sheet, in covered in old English, blue bells with hanging heads, very un PC to day, but us kids picked mass's of them to take home to mom.

The blue bell woods in Bartley Green, were not in the early 50's huge, but the carpet of blue bells seemed to stretch for ever to a child. The whole of the ground in the woods, were a sheet, in covered in old English, blue bells with hanging heads, very un PC to day, but us kids picked mass's of them to take home to mom.
I remember the blue bell wood in Rectory Park Sutton Coldfield. As a child I also used to pick them and take them home.

Back